Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Memory dump of ECU

Tony, I don't know if it helps with what you're doing but the ECUtuner software will be released sooner rather than later and I will add the memory adapters and coms interfaces to my website or you can use any of the other interfaces described in this thread that use the ftdi cable.

I've decided not to serial lock the ECUtuner software to my ftdi cables. I will instead copyleft it and release it complete with source code under gnu.

The pages for user friendly editing of the firmware aren't done yet but at least you can get the firmware on and off your control unit and monitor operating parameters without too much hassle.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:47 PM

I'm affraid that I'm a little bit late on the subject but I'll try anyway...
I have the following problem:
I bought the EVO cable for Subaru SSM I and intended to use it on my SVX
but it was unable to communicate with the ECU no matter what I've tried.
To save you the time and the effort to repeat things already said I'll explain what I did first...
1. I've been reading all about the subject on the net
2. I've tried the evoscan software v 2.6 but the data.xml even the modified by user for SVX didn't work.
3. I've tried the VWRX Select Monitor Software but even the modified (or full ini file) didn't work. I've tried also to dump the eco following the instructions on author's site starting from address 0000 to 7FFF but still no response from the ECU. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because at the moment I write the "7FFF" the "0000" changes itself to 05FF or something like that...

I'll be greatful for any ideas or advice

The car: Subaru SVX
Year: 1993
Market: European (Switzerland)
VIN: JF1CXWAL0EH002954

Thanks In advance
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrov2000 View Post
I'm affraid that I'm a little bit late on the subject but I'll try anyway...
I have the following problem:
I bought the EVO cable for Subaru SSM I and intended to use it on my SVX
but it was unable to communicate with the ECU no matter what I've tried.
To save you the time and the effort to repeat things already said I'll explain what I did first...
1. I've been reading all about the subject on the net
2. I've tried the evoscan software v 2.6 but the data.xml even the modified by user for SVX didn't work.
3. I've tried the VWRX Select Monitor Software but even the modified (or full ini file) didn't work. I've tried also to dump the eco following the instructions on author's site starting from address 0000 to 7FFF but still no response from the ECU. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because at the moment I write the "7FFF" the "0000" changes itself to 05FF or something like that...

I'll be greatful for any ideas or advice

The car: Subaru SVX
Year: 1993
Market: European (Switzerland)
VIN: JF1CXWAL0EH002954

Thanks In advance
Do this and tell us what happens....

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/troubleshooting.html
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention that in my post
When I type "78123400" in the text box and hit enter
nothing is returned in the receive box except "Tx78123400" or somening like that and I asume it is only confirmation of the command sent but no repeated reply at all. I didn't try the TCU yet.
And in addition I have to say that the wiring is the stock one
No trace of somebody messing around.
I tried the selfdiagnostic, it works perfectly and it seems that I was the first one pulling out the blue diagnostic wires. No idea what ECU can it be or is it the above universal command that any ECU should respond something.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrov2000 View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention that in my post
When I type "78123400" in the text box and hit enter
nothing is returned in the receive box except "Tx78123400" or somening like that and I asume it is only confirmation of the command sent but no repeated reply at all. I didn't try the TCU yet.
And in addition I have to say that the wiring is the stock one
No trace of somebody messing around.
I tried the selfdiagnostic, it works perfectly and it seems that I was the first one pulling out the blue diagnostic wires. No idea what ECU can it be or is it the above universal command that any ECU should respond something.
Either the ECU can't hear you asking, or you can't hear it replying. Until this works, it's a waste of time to try any other software.

Try talking to the TCU, send "45C00000" (or even the AirCon "890002"). If that doesn't work either then I would suspect your cable is faulty. Can you verify the cable on another car?

Double check everything:

Everything plugged in
Correct settings: COM port, baud rate, parity, data bits, stop bits
Ignition on
Key in "On" position.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 09-27-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the quick replay
I'll try harder with this application
The cable is OK I tested it on my other car Legacy 1995
and it connected immediately matter of seconds with evoscan
I'll let you know what the results are
Thanks again
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Finally I got some results, not much but at least something to analize

When I communicate with the TCU I get back this repeated:

"TX>45C00000<TX
(00)(00)?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p ?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?( 00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?(00)p?"

When I communicate with the Air Conditioner I get back this repeated:

"TX>890002<TX
(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)( 02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)(02)*( 00)(02)?(00)(02)*(00)(02)*(00)"

When I try to communicate with the ECU I get back this ONCE:

"?
TX>78123400<TX"

and the same everytime I hit enter.

I don't understand any of this at all so please advice.
Thanks again in advance
Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Phil & Belha

The TCU and A/C unit are sending back data, which shows that they received the command OK. But the data coming back is garbled. That's what we call "the 92 problem" and it's usually fixable with some extra circuitry.

But your problem is more serious because the ECU is not receiving the command. We don't have a fix for that.

The fact that none of the three modules are working correctly makes me think it's a problem with the SSM signal wires rather than a faulty unit. As it seems to be both directions, maybe the ground wire (pin 9). You could check for resistance between this wire and ground.

Probably the first thing to try is to find a Subaru dealer with a Select Monitor tool. If the Subaru tool works then ask Longassname about his cable, which is copied from the Select Monitor circuitry.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Thank you for the reply
I'll check the cables this weekend and post back the results
Although I doubt that there is something wrong with them
As I mention before the wiring seems to be the stock one
For me it's more like "92 problem" but the interesting thing is
why just the ECU doesn't respond
Could it be some strange type or brand and are these commands
universal for any kind of ECU?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Phil & Belha

The command protocol is the same for all Subaru ECUs from this time period (approx 1990 to 1996).

Most likely the ECU is not responding because the incoming command is garbled.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Hey all, relative newbie here just jumping on board because I finally have a 5-speed to swap into my SVX, so I've been working on getting a tune ready for when I get around to doing the swap. I couldn't get your jecs_obd1.xml to work at all with Rom Raider (ECU definition not found error regardless of what bin I use...tried several from your site)...I finally found a file someone had written up called svxlite.xml that I managed to get to work with after correcting some errors.

Anyway, I was hoping there's a better xml file out there because all this one has is base fuel and base timing. Period. I haven't had a chance to read through the 70-some pages of this thread yet, but has anyone written an XDF for TunerPro for our cars? I have yet to find one, but I'm much more comfortable with TunerPro as I've been using it for some time. I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could point me to any address/definition file for either program that is perhaps a little more useful than the one I have.

Also, on a side-note...what the heck was Subaru thinking with the stock maps? They're completely ass-backwards. Very lean, and laughably conservative timing advance as a result. What kind of sporty car runs lean of 12.5 in the powerband?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Nevermind, I modified your jecs_obd1.xml to get it working for me. It appears the addresses are represented differently in that file than the other one I have, resulting in some incompatibilities. Specifically, the file I was using refers to 0x8XXX whereas your refers to 0x0XXX, when comparing the same locations. I'm a hex noob so I have no idea what that's about, but the maps look the same with either file, just more options with jecs_obd1.xml.

I see that there's now actually a base timing table, and a "max advance" presumably which takes place when there's no knock present. While that part now makes more sense to me, it still seems like the fuel is stupid lean for a high compression sporty car. Also glad to have the RPM and speed limits. Thanks to all you pioneers who worked hard to gather this info.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
It appears the addresses are represented differently in that file than the other one I have, resulting in some incompatibilities. Specifically, the file I was using refers to 0x8XXX whereas your refers to 0x0XXX, when comparing the same locations.
I believe Phil's file was set up to deal with the direct ROM dump without the 32KB of zero's added. So adress 0x8000 (With 32K) is actually 0x0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
Also, on a side-note...what the heck was Subaru thinking with the stock maps? They're completely ass-backwards. Very lean, and laughably conservative timing advance as a result. What kind of sporty car runs lean of 12.5 in the powerband?
You need to bear in mind what the values actually represent, AFR - Air to Fuel Ratio.
Ideal Stoichiometric ratio is 14.7 (14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel)

The map is aiming for 12.5 in your example, which is 12.5 parts of air to 1 part of fuel. So it's not lean at all, its rich.

As for the Advance timing, it depends on the quality of fuel available as to what it would have been set up for, if your only able to get the equivalent of 91RON in the US instead of the 101RON in Japan, there is a good reason for it being a whole lot more conservative being a USDM vehicle compared to a JDM or EUDM vehicle.

Last edited by Mrdjc; 10-16-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdjc View Post
You need to bear in mind what the values actually represent, AFR - Air to Fuel Ratio.
Ideal Stoichiometric ratio is 14.7 (14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel)

The map is aiming for 12.5 in your example, which is 12.5 parts of air to 1 part of fuel. So it's not lean at all, its rich.

As for the Advance timing, it depends on the quality of fuel available as to what it would have been set up for, if your only able to get the equivalent of 91RON in the US instead of the 101RON in Japan, there is a good reason for it being a whole lot more conservative being a USDM vehicle compared to a JDM or EUDM vehicle.
I suppose I should clarify that I'm not new to tuning at all, just a little new to direct ECU modification based tuning. The other platform I've mainly worked with is 3000GTs and Stealths, where the only options are piggybacks or complete standalone ECUs. I'm just getting into the hex stuff.

I know ALL about air/fuel ratios. Coming from a forced-induction mindset of tuning, 11.5 is typically considered rich best torque, and is a good safe place to start tuning from. Leaning it out obviously makes more power, but at the increased risk of detonation. I don't usually see performance pump-gas tunes get much leaner than about 12.2-12.5, and that's the richest point on the SVX's stock map, so you can now see where I'm coming from saying 12.5 is "lean". 12.8-13.2 or so being the generally accepted best power AFR, but is usually far too prone to detonation unless very high octane fuel is used.

My comment was more aimed at the fact that Subaru went with the best power AFRs and used extremely conservative timing to control knock. It seems kind of backwards to me, as I'm used to seeing 12.0 AFRs and much more aggressive timing curves. I can't say which works better with these cars as I'm just getting started with this platform, but it seemed odd to me. With the other address file, I now have a "max advance" table though, which does make things look a bit better. I was originally under the impression that the base timing was the max advance and that there was just a knock retard table.

Like I said, I'm brand new to these ECUs and just trying to learn what I can. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 AM

Wow, finally read through most of this thread. The amount of information is staggering, to say the least. I can't wait to get my 5-speed swap done and start playing around with the tune. I think there's a LOT of horsepower to be had.