Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2007, 12:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Tom, I can send you the old one I built, for the cost of the shipping. All you would have to do is wire up the plug and connect the add on board you built. I can also sell you one of the newer ones I have been building that are plug and play. They come with the plug to go directly into the SSM port. It has a transmit and receive LED so you can see the status, and is mounted in a project box to protect it. Selling them for $70+shipping. See the pic below.

IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sold, how soon can you get it to me?

Tom
Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Its all packaged up. Will be sending it out in the morning, Express mail. So you should have it by Wed morning. Will be getting the other end of the orange WAGO connectors on wed. I will send you a brand new unit when I get them finished, probably send it out to you Thur morning. Let me know when you get it
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Wow, that looks a million times better than the one we put together...

Tom, the board ended up not working then? Any idea what the problem was? The parts were matched exactly off what the specs said on the guide. I don't know what else could be wrong. You said you even built the second one as well and no go?
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Maniac modifier

yeah, with the second one I used the smaller red wire too. I just ran it under the soldering iron slowly and burned/scrapped the coating off till it was nothing but copper. Still no dice... So I suck a fart at building circuits like this I did my Velleman circuit pretty well

Tom
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Hey!! It should be here today! I also need to re-wire my DCCD controller for the track tomorrow... So much to do so little time!!!

Tom
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Calum, Thanks for your continuing interest in helping the SVX community. I'll take a proper look at what you've done once things calm down a little here.

Phil.
If you get bored (I don't see that happening in the near future ) and want a peek under the hood at how the '7791 works with external memory, check this book, erm post, I wrote-

http://www.sr20forum.com/calumsult/2...-etc-ecus.html

...then thank your lucky start Subaru made it so easy for you guys to use an external memory. Ah to be so lucky...
Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tobi
Hi,

i have a small problem with the Select-Monitor Tool and i hope someone can help me.

My Car: Subaru Impreza GT 2L Turbo MY96 with a Select-Monitor-Connector

First i tried the parallel solution from this Site:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/b10scan/

The tool can read my Rom-ID but the program is not compatible with my ecu.

Now i found the subaru Select-Monitor-Scan-Tool and i see it
works with an 1997 EDM Impreza GT sport wagon.

My notebook dont have a serialport so i bought this USB to serial (TTL level) converter cable.

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/s...dCategoryID=47

Now i connect the converter with the Subaru-Select-Monitor-Connector.

GND(black)(USB-cable) to GND (green/black)(SSM-connector)
TXD(orange)(USB-cable) to TXD (orange/white)(SSM-connector)
RXD(yellow)(USB-cable) to RXD (blue/white)(SSM-connector)

I dont need the 12v(SSM) and 5v(USB) ports, is this right?

Then i install the drivers for this USB to serial converter. Now i have the COM3-Port from this software.

If i start the Select-Monitor-Tool, i can start a connection but i get only a NULL from the ECU and
the parameters are 0. I think the ECU is OK because the first Tool can read this.

I have no idea what i can do.

Sry for my bad english.

Greetings from Germany
Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I have not used that particular adapter. I use a very very cheap USB-Serial adapter to connect to a serial-select monitor adapter. In fact, you are the first person here to try to use that particular adapter. Someone with more knowledge of the wiring diagrams will have to review your information and make a suggestion, since if that cable truly works it will simplify things significantly.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 AM

Thx for your fast reply.
There are some informations to this converter.

http://elmicro.com/files/ftdi/ds_ttl232r_v102.pdf
Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Now, I cannot guarantee this as I am not the developer of the hardware we're talking about. But I went over the diagram of that adapter, as well as the howto of version 1 of Phil's adapter, as well as the protocol of the Select Monitor. From this, I conclude the following:

It seems to me that the only reason we have the +12V from the car connected to our circuits is to power the circuit itself. Since your adapter is adequately powered from the +5V of the USB, you do not have this problem. Which also means you are probably not succeptable to the pitfalls of early SVXs. Too bad you don't own one!

Therefore, the only wires you need connect to the ECU are the Tx, Rx and ground, as you have already done.

Since you appear to have the hardware properly configured, I conclude that your software is improperly configured. In the SelectMonitor folder, open SelectMonitor.ini with notepad. There is a value which reads (on mine, since I have changed it):

CommPort=12

Make sure that the number there matches the number of the COM port you are using. My USB-to-Serial adapter registers itself as COM12, so I put a 12 into that field.

Hopefully that's all it is.

By the way, are you xStream over on the VWRX forums? Those forums look dead, I think the author of the program has gone into hiding or something.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 AM

Yes, I am xSTrEaM from the VWRX-Forum

The drivers from this adapter create a COM3-Port and i changed the parameter in the SelectMonitor.ini. The Select-Monitor-Tool can start a connection because when the USB-Adapter is not plugged in the tool throws an error. But when i plug the USB-cable i get only a NULL from the ECU.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 AM
Retired

Hm... a null from the ECU would suggest that the transmission is bungled somehow. Since I don't know exactly how the circuit works, all I can say is that perhaps I was wrong, and your hardware is not properly configured. Now I have to wait for someone with more knowledge to come in and troubleshoot your problem, sorry.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Phil & Belha

Tobi,

Download the RS232 Hex Comm Tool and try sending commands directly to your ECU. There are some instructions on how to do this further back in this thread.

Also, make sure that your "Check Engine" light is on. This indicates that the ECU has power. Sometimes an aftermarket alarm system will disable the power to the ECU.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Retired

Wait.

His car is a '96. Isn't that OBDII?