IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2007, 05:08 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue thunder
I'm having the same issue as Idaho biker girl a few posts back. Two nights ago i got in my car to go home and noticed the illumination light on the dash seemed weaker than usual. I drove home with no problem. Today on the way to work the dash lights came on and stayed intermittedly. I tried a test someone said to try. I started the car and then disconnected the negative battery cable and the engine stalled immediately. I was told this means the alternator is bad. Then I drove home tonight with the dash lights coming on and off the whole way. I then got my multimeter and checked the voltage and it read around 12 amps non-running which means the battery is fully charged right? Could my alternator be flaking out and still be charging my battery? I have one ordered for thurs. although I haven't paid yet. Any advice or experience appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
Pete,

The first sentence in the thread which you have omitted and which tells all, regardless of the rather confused description which follows, reads:-

"I'm having the same issue as Idaho biker girl a few posts back."

Also note:-

"Today on the way to work the dash lights came on and stayed intermittedly."

" Then I drove home tonight with the dash lights coming on and off the whole way."

N.B. The lights came on, i.e. were not switched on.

I and obviously others here, have been able to interpret the description, having become used to some having problems when describing faults.

My object has been to prevent the enquirer becoming involved in fruitless testing, based on irrelevant voltage figures. It is most unfortunate that matters have become controversial as a result of misunderstandings and in this context touches of sarcasm are not helpful.

Unlike another thread, no one is in fact wrong here and all have simply been misunderstood.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!