Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Anyone have any advice on my tranny cooler plan?

Flex a lite tranny cooler question
Local auto parts store tells me a Flexlite tranny cooler #4112 GVW 12,000 with connecting kit for $49.95 5" x 15" x about 3/4" should do the trick for the SVX and should be mounted in front of radiator. The fact that it's not too large might be a plus in terms of having more air still hitting the radiator. I know some people recommend the GVW 26,000. They said I don't need a separate tranny filter because all the dirt would be in the main tranny filter. I was going to have my local service shop install it.

I have a FWD car and the tranny seems fine.

Does my 1994 have a separate filter already?

Should I get a separate tranny filter? If so, where should I install it. I don't have ABS brakes so that area is clear. I know they make a temp guage that plugs into a sender above filter.

Should it be tranny -- filter -- external cooler -- radiator -- back to tranny all in series? I don't know what order to run it.

I have synthetic fluid -- Maxlife Semi-Synthetic that was put in 10/21/2005 and about 2,600 miles ago with a new filter. Previous owner paid $95 for this servicing. Should I change the tranny fluid and main filter, or just top it off? Should I use a particular brand of main filter? Should I stay with Maxlife?

Funny thing is the auto parts store and my service station all act like I'm crazy for being concerned because I'm not towing or racing.

Even my local Subaru dealer told me he has never installed a tranny cooler.

I also read somewhere about someone on this board removing lower plastic engine protector and cleaning out a lot of crap that was there which helped AC run cooler. My engine area looks very clean.

I know some of this has been gone over in other posts -- which I've read.