IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
As much as you would like to think that to justify your position, that is NOT what I am implying. Most computer users use PCs. I am not saying that PC users are less intelligent than mac users.
Okay then, I'll ask you this. Maybe the clarification will clear up my apparently muddled understanding of your proclamation.

Saying that anybody or anything is more of a certain quality means that you're comparing them to something. So, when you say that Mac users are, generally, more intelligent, just who are you comparing them to, if not PC users? By the very nature of your claim, you are comparing them to somebody.

If you were to say that Mac users are more intelligent than, say, people in vegetative states, I'd have to agree with you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 08:15 PM
arondale

For clarification, I am comparing Mac users to the general populus. Actually, comparison are your words. I am making an "observation" about Mac users.

Last edited by arondale; 12-11-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:17 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
For clarification, I am comparing Mac users to the general populus.
Well then, as part of the general population, I'm still offended.

But, hey, it's your elitist attitude...enjoy.

PS, I will endeavor to treat you with the respect that someone of your higher intellect deserves. So of course I won't question you again. I'll just assume I don't understand you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Hater

Mac users usually talk like pirates. HARRRRR!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-11-2003, 08:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
Mac users usually talk like pirates. HARRRRR!
HA! Thank you for saying in six words what I tried to say in about ten thousand.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 08:39 PM
arondale

When I look at a regular PC - dell, hp, compaq... I can tell there was not a lot of money in the development of that product. Some people buy a pc just to connect to the internet and could care less about anything else.

For me, it is much more than that. When I see Apples hardware products I am attracted to the well thought out design, the craftsmanship, the functionality, balance, use of materials, quality, and the seemless integration of a fabulous software package.

Apple builds the PC and the software, so it does not have to worry about hardware/software conflicts of its iApps. All the applications: iDVD, iMovie, iCal, iSync, iPhoto, iTunes.... they are all interconnected. For instance, I can put my cell phone next to my computer and it wirelessly recognizes my phone is in the nearby proximity and sychronizes all the contacts in my computers address book into my phone. It even synchonizes my notes and calendar into my phone. All by clicking a button, no software needed. When I use iPhoto I can click on a digital picture, and click one button and purchase a 19"x14" print for $19, delivered to my doorstep in 3 days. I can click on a song in iTunes, preview a 30 second clip, and purchase it for .99 cents with a click of the button. I can plug my DV camera into my computer, it automatically launches iMovie, and click one button and it is recording the playback. I can plug in a digital camera and it will automatically launch iPhoto and download all my pictures without me pushing any buttons. I can sync my calander with my work calendar with a click of a button. These all involve no clicks or single clicks. Macs are so easy to use and so reliable and the performance is comparable to intel machines. Is it so hard to believe that someone who is intelligent would be attracted to this sort of technology and efficiency? Mind you, you get all of this with a Mac, no other software purchase needed. There is alot more to the Mac than I have mentioned. They are fatastic machines for professional audio, video, animation, 3D modeling, and programming, though many writers, educators, gamers, and those attracted to efficiency use them as well.

If it were not for Macs, I'd still be using an Amiga--my first pc

Last edited by arondale; 12-11-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Well, HOT DAM'!!

I shoulda' know'd a home movie post that's amassed over a hunnert replies was gonna' be a fire sale, & I ain't dissappointed!!!!!!!!
This is better'n "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". And...a full cast of characters to include box office gold like Aredub, Pockets, The Shark, & perennial bad boy Rob. New-comer Arondale has the audience spellbound with a sure bid for an Oscar nomination.
Pass the popcorn, mama, I'm hooked.

Oh....Once upon a time, in a galaxy not yet invented, when the CRT was just a gleam in Gate's eyeball, how did we gauge intelligence?
Oh, yeah, dumb guys took auto shop. Smart guys took French.
Works for me! C'est la Vie, & Renault Coupe'

Ron (I may be ugly, but I'm stoopid).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
If it were not for Macs, I'd still be using an Amiga--my first pc
That's a fantastic story, and I'm glad you're so happy with your Mac and it works so well for you.

But it still has nothing to with being more intelligent than the rest of us who use something else - by choice or otherwise.

Likewise, I enjoy driving. Most people consider it a chore that they have to perform in order to get from one place to another, but to me it's far more than that. Somebody once told me that they try to learn something every time they get behind the wheel. I remember that now every time I get behind the wheel.

But most people aren't like that. Does it make me more intelligent than them? Nope. Nor does it make me more intelligent than the other people who feel the same way about driving, but don't like 4WD cars as much as I do.

See my point? You can say, 'I like my Mac' without saying, 'people who don't use Macs aren't as smart.'

Unless that's what you want to say. In which case, as I said, it's your elitist opinion and you're welcome to it. But then don't be surprised when somebody gets offended.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Wink

For me, it is much more than that. When I see Apples hardware products I am attracted to the well thought out design, the craftsmanship, the functionality, balance, use of materials, quality, and the seemless integration of a fabulous software package.

Hey!.....this is exactly how I feel when I see J-LO's ass.

You da' man Aron!

Ron (Forgive me Lord for having impure thoughts).

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 12-11-2003, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Hey!.....this is exactly how I feel when I see J-LO's ass.

You da' man Aron!

Ron (Forgive me Lord for having impure thoughts).
I'll absolutely agree with you there, Ron. Macs are cool looking machines.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Smile

For instance, I can put my cell phone next to my computer and it wirelessly recognizes my phone is in the nearby proximity and sychronizes all the contacts in my computers address book into my phone. It even synchonizes my notes and calendar into my phone. All by clicking a button, no software needed. When I use iPhoto I can click on a digital picture, and click one button and purchase a 19"x14" print for $19, delivered to my doorstep in 3 days. I can click on a song in iTunes, preview a 30 second clip, and purchase it for .99 cents with a click of the button. I can plug my DV camera into my computer, it automatically launches iMovie, and click one button and it is recording the playback. I can plug in a digital camera and it will automatically launch iPhoto and download all my pictures without me pushing any buttons. I can sync my calander with my work calendar with a click of a button. These all involve no clicks or single clicks. Macs are so easy to use and so reliable and the performance is comparable to intel machines. Is it so hard to believe that someone who is intelligent would be attracted to this sort of technology and efficiency.

I love it!!!

I can sit slothfully in one spot, barely use my brain & have the world handed to me in an endless stream of pixels.

I'm gettin' smarter already!

Ron (Real men use Windows 95).

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 12-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Your first argument suggested that since there are more PC users, there are more dumb people. Well, sure, the number of dumb people increases - but so does the number of smart people. Just because the overall number of PC users increases 20-fold over the number of Mac users doesn't mean that only the number of dumb people increases. This is flawed logic on your part.??

>snip<
Dude. It isn't hard to figure out. More smart people, more dumb people more regular people= AVERAGE.

Mac users have FEWER dumb people, MORE creative people (per user, not total... lets say there were only 10 mac users, and 5 were creative people, 5 were not. Then 50% of mac users would be creative prof, dig?), hence, they are MORE intelligent compared to the AVERAGE (lots of smart, normal and dumb people) PC user.

This isn't hard. I find it embarassing you still do not understand.

- Rob
Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 PM
arondale

Quote:
See my point? You can say, 'I like my Mac' without saying, 'people who don't use Macs aren't as smart.'
I never said people who do not use macs are not smart. I have exhausted that poor presumption already. My observation is this: The majority of Mac users I have met are very intelligent. Maybe I have not met enough Mac users to prove otherwise. Maybe there is some correlation there you feel cannot exist. Take it for what it is...my observation. I only know 9 mac users very well. All nine are extremely bright. You think this is by chance?

Its time for a Murphy's stout.

arondale

Last edited by arondale; 12-11-2003 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Pockets, better warm up the oven for your shoe.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-943519.html

quote: Nielsen/NetRatings said that 70.2 percent of Mac users online have a college degree, compared with 54.2 percent of all Web surfers. That, combined with their longer surfing histories and their greater willingness to buy products via the Web, makes Mac consumers a prime catch for marketers, Kelly said

Here's some more for you:

http://www.bandc.com/mactech/mac.html

REGARDS

- Rob
Old 12-11-2003, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

I never said people who do not use macs are not smart. I have exhausted that poor presumption already. My observation is this: The majority of Mac users I have met are very intelligent. Maybe I have not met enough Mac users to prove otherwise. Maybe there is some correlation there you feel cannot exist. Take it for what it is...my observation. I only know 9 mac users very well. All nine are extremely bright. You think this is by chance?

Its time for a Murphy's stout.

arondale
See, I have no problem with you saying that you've found Mac users to be intelligent. That, in and of itself, is not offensive at all. But saying that they are more intelligent than people who don't use Macs (the 'rest of the population,' as you said) is something else entirely. Make sense?

Enjoy your beer.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 09:50 PM.