Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Post My New Sound System: Part 1 Custom Sub Enclosures

Ok, so I'm going to do a few threads detailing my work in installing my new sound system, lots of pictures and as idiot proofed as possible so that those who are not very mechanically/electrically/audio proficient or are just DIYers like myself can understand and possibly use these to help them in their projects.

So here we go!

My Sound System: Part 1 Custom Sub Enclosures

So, seeing as this is one of the more complicated parts of the system, I will be starting with the explanation of building my custom sub enclosures.

Step one: Planning
I first started by looking in the manual for the subs to see what volume I needed to have for the subs to sound their best. after figuring out that as well as the generic dimensions recommended for just a standard square box I took a measuring tape to my trunk and began to brainstorm and measure to kind of see what I was getting myself into and just how well the dimensions I needed would fit in the space allotted.

Turned out, a little tricky on the back sides of each as they aren't exactly square nor are they the same on either side (blame the gas tank on the USDM passengers side) So this in mind my dad and I began using cut pieces of news paper just doing a trial and error getting the generic base shape that would give us approximately 1 cubic foot of volume.

After many different changes and trials with the newspaper and calculations with basic trig/geometry we were able to determine what we felt would give us the closest to one cubic foot, and transferred each base design to poster board.

While transferring it to poster board we used several devices (compass, ruler etc) to make sure our curves and straight edges weren't crazy sloppy. After making these templates we took them to our half inch thick MDF (medium density fiber) board and I traced the templates onto the board.

Also while making the templates on the poster board we made a template for the two rings that would eventually stand as the mounting point for the subs. We got these measurements from using the template that kicker attaches to each sub's box and tracing that and then giving it a thickness of about one half inch (1/4 in more than is required to successfully mount the sub to it.) These were also transferred to the MDF.

Step 2: Framework
After designing the base frame and getting my ring sizes I did some math to figure out how I was going to design my enclosures. I tried to get the best overall volume based off what the manufacture said for my subs, and took some advice from people on here and added more volume, they should both be between 1.6-2 cubic feet. and no I won't do the calculus to figure exactly how much volume I have! lol

The framework portion consisted of cutting pieces of the mdf board to fit the heights at each section trying to follow the base plate the best I could and staying formed to the trunk. Also trying to go as high as I could for the most volume. I also cut a hole for each enclosure to be able to have a cup connector so I could run the wires and keep them inside and just disconnect the enclosure without taking the sub out every time. aka when I take her to the track.

Once all the pieces were measured cut and glued in for the back wall, I figured out at what angle I wanted the subs to sit. I placed them slightly protruding from the edge so it would create more volume. Once that was deturmined I cut some pillar supports and one horizontal support per ring to keep the ring in position.

Step 3: Sheeting the framework

Next step was covering the mdf frame with fleece to give it it's shape. This was accomplished by draping the fabric over the enclosure and starting with one end, stapling it to the bottom of the base then pulling it tightly across the frame. Then sides had to be slit, trimmed, and formed around the shape pulling tight across and gluing the fleece to the frame on the sides and stapling the bottoms.

Step 4: Fiberglassing

Once both are done I started on one enclosure at a time, according to the instructions I recieved the coats are to be as follows:

One coat of resin, 8 coats of fiber matting and resin

they are to be broken up into
1. one coat of resin(except the center of the ring), let it dry, cut out the hole (or if you did it like me and do holes for the cups cut those out too)
2. coat with matting and resin x4, let it dry
3. repeat step 2
4. Sand

However, I being a newbie at fiberglassing, had a lot of issues and ended up with 3 super thick coats that should suffice.

Step 5: Body Filler Case

not there yet I'll let ya know how it goes!

Last edited by Johnybeas; 11-09-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Updates