Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Bipa

Multiple attempts to wreck truck on TV

I was bored, so did a little surfing and checked out Top Gear's web site, a British car show on BBC that I used to watch (don't get BBC anymore ). They have a few new video clips and this one was amazing! If you have 15 minutes to waste (plus load time if slow connection), check it out!

The guys try to wreck a Toyota Hilux pickup truck by crashing it, totally submerging it in sea water for a half day, setting it on fire, and finally ... naw, I won't spoil it.

oopsies forgot the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa..._broadband.ram fast conx speed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa...narrowband.ram slow conx speed

Last edited by Bipa; 08-27-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Unstoppable

Yep, they just had those clips on the US version of Top Gear about 2 weeks ago.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 08-27-2005, 11:23 AM
SVX Appeal

Real media files. I've been RealPlayer-free for the better part of a decade. Curious as I am, it just isn't worth it.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Real media files. I've been RealPlayer-free for the better part of a decade. Curious as I am, it just isn't worth it.
Ever since I moved to Europe, being subjected (or tortured more like) by the lack of good quality American/English TV (I've been in non-English speaking countries, so can't speak for UK), my PC has gotten stocked up with just about every video/radio player available. I still occasionally listen to morning radio shows from Toronto and hear the local news just to keep in touch and keep those "homesick feelings" at bay.

Thank goodness for internet broadcasters, or else I'd be paying a fortune in monthly satellite fees. Getting American TV in Germany isn't easy or cheap for us regular non-military folks.

So what's your beef with RealPlayer? I haven't had any trouble with it over the last 2 years or so. I agree it was a pain before, but now, along with my DSL connection, it's pretty good.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Tim-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Amen to that, same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
So what's your beef with RealPlayer? I haven't had any trouble with it over the last 2 years or so. I agree it was a pain before, but now, along with my DSL connection, it's pretty good.
Well, not sure about anymore, but it used to be nearly as bad as AOL in taking up resources and burying itsself in your computer making it hard to get rid of.

Last edited by Tim-H; 08-27-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:26 PM
SVX Appeal

Like Tim-H, I don't know about it anymore, but for the few years when I tried to use it, I endured a lot. I'm still bitter about the hours and hours of headaches I suffered. The symptoms were the same on all the computers I used it on. They would always run slowly after installing RealPlayer, it would lock up the computer randomly, and often crashed just after it finished doing anything, such as download enough of a file to start playing, or after it finished playing the file. The interface was horrible and had no useful features, plus it was the only thing that played those formats - which were no better than the MPEG-based formats, and it's not like those weren't available at the time. Real Networks dumped a ton of money into pushing their product and that's the only reason they still [barely] survive against a handful of other thriving, yet under-funded products and formats which are superior in just about every way. I simply don't use their products or formats and I hope they go out of business. It would be better for the whole world if they did.

I feel similarly about Adobe Acrobat. Just like RealPlayer, it also has a gazillion bugs that causes all sorts of ill behavior in the Windows environment, and it's also inferior to many other formats. I can't tell you how many times I've been sent 10MB PDF files that can be reduced to 100KB text files. I hate having to wait for the Acrobat plug-in to load so I can view two lines of text. I'm just waiting for some hackers to get really pissed off from trying to use Acrobat, and target that product specifically.