How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
“When in the "ON" position, everything on the dash lights up, I can hear the fuel pump and the car draws about 10A. It goes up to about 20A when I try to start the car. I never noticed this before but the climate control, clock and radio turn off when the ignition switch is turned to "start". I assume that is normal.”

Yes that is normal.
As the car has been standing long enough for the shifter to stick, it can also have the starter gear stick to the starter scroll, that the solenoid should push the gear into mesh with the ring gear.
As the bottom of the bell housing is open, moisture condenses up in the top of it, where the starter gear is, so the solenoid just clicks.
I have had this happen to my car here in the tropics.
I agree that in the event of the abnormal conditions suggested, if and only if, the solenoid does nor move far enough for its contacts to close as is normal, an abnormal situation whereby an increase of only 10 amps could possibly abnormally occur.

However in that instance the confirmed quite small abnormal increase in current, provided that everything else is normal, would not cause the abnormal symptom reported, whereby the climate control, clock and radio abnormally turn off. Therefore the suggested abnormal scenario can not apply.

In accordance with my previous post the symptoms described by Tony are certainly not normal and indicate a voltage drop within the car circuitry or alternatively that the battery is unable to supply the required current.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!