Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So which car are your parents telling you to buy?
Old 02-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Deruvian,
I was late to this thread, and everything looks like it has been covered, so I will pass along my gladness about your survival of the accident and hope that you can get another SVX soon. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 02-15-2003, 01:58 AM
deruvian

People driving in SUV's who are used to driving in sports cars are indeed dangerous. However Noir, I did drive both a 1989 Ford Bronco XLT with oversize tires and a 1984 Ford F150 XL before my SVX (along with a 2000 Subaru Forester, which was my Dad's). I think that after learning to drive in those three cars for about 7 months before my SVX will stop me from rolling in an SUV (like the 4Runner). However, my SVX did get rolled

My current vehicles now are a 1984 Ford F150 XL, along with my Dad's 2002 Ford Ranger FX4. I'm keeping things covered and safe for myself.

But for some reason, my parents are convinced that cars are infinitely unsafe compared to SUV's or trucks. That may be true for some cars (like Hondas or Geos, which are kinda the same as driving a box made of paper), but when cars are bought intelligently for their safety, they are just as safe if not safer. One of the main reasons for my purchase of an SVX was the fact that it was a Subaru, and Subaru is known for it's safety features. Thank Buddha for that roll cage, seriously. If I bought another car, it would undoubtedly be something just as safe as a Subaru, or a Subaru

Anyways, I am being forced to look at SUV's. Pretty much the only SUV that I like enough to purchase is a 4Runner. And my parents agree. So, if anyone knows of a good 4Runner for sale in the Sacramento, CA area let me know
Old 02-15-2003, 08:46 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
You want to get a safe car, get a Volvo.... Those things are like tanks.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-15-2003, 10:23 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I'm glad to hear that you walked away. Did you install an aftermarket rollcage or is the SVX designed to take a roll?

Best of luck, hopefully you can honor your old SVX with a new one.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
You want to get a safe car, get a Volvo.... Those things are like tanks.
Or cut out the middleman, and just get a tank. My favorite is the M-1 Abrams; trust me, that guy in your lane would not have been a problem.

You might want to research rollover statistics for SUVs and show that to your parents - if you were in a 4Runner when you had your accident, similar things would have happened with a higher probability of a less happy outcome.

SUVs are safer in vehicle-to-vehicle accidents, because of their size, but stability sucks.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 02-15-2003, 01:17 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I'm glad to hear that you walked away. Did you install an aftermarket rollcage or is the SVX designed to take a roll?
SVX's are designed to take a roll. They have a stock integral roll cage.

And I will indeed one day honor my SVX with another one. Maybe one of those rumored 2005 SVX's... There's no possible way that I won't have another one someday. That vehicle was my first real car. All the other ones I had were trucks and they sucked. I fell in love with that car, and falling out of love with it isn't really an option

Oh, and by the way, does anyone have any stats on the safety of an SUV compared to that of a Subaru (besides the fact that I'm still alive)? If I had some safety stats on my side, that would be sweet. I'll do my part by researching a little this weekend.

Last edited by deruvian; 02-15-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:37 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I dont know the statistics but the only SUV I know of with real roll protection is the wrangler.

The Ford Explorer definitely doesnt because of the recent Firestone incident. When the tires blew out the suv flipped and a lot of people got seriously injured and died.

Most of the SUV sites i've visited never said anything about rollover protection in them, so I would assume they havent taken it into account. In fact I'm probably gonna check some sites now since im bored ato work.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Jay_Walker

I don't know researching roll cages, stats, Safety? Sounds like it would be way to complicated to fit into my procrastinating and lazy way of life. Work isn't really part of my vocabulary.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
That new volvo "suv" is pretty crazy... it like takes control of brakes and acceleration to avoid a rollover is what i think it said... i bet thats probably fairly safe

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 02-23-2003, 11:36 AM
deruvian

Well, I finally sucked it up and just bought a 4Runner. Dark Green 1991 4Runner SR5 v6 w/ 107k miles, power-everything, moonroof, and alloys (all stock beyond that). $5900. It's not in bad condition... There are a few tiny dings on the exterior paint, and the interior is nice minus a few small cuts in the fabric. It runs great, and the only mechanical problem is a small hole in the muffler, which I promptly made the dealer lower the price for (cause I have to repair it... Getting that done this week). All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. And my girlfriend loves it, so I guess I don't have much room for complaint. It's no SVX (dammit), but no worries. I love the SVX sooo much that I will undoubtedly own at least one more in my lifetime. I'll be back guys, no questions there

...Still getting those before/after pics of my SVX scanned, they'll be up soon. I'll let ya know.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: good luck

good luck with the 4runner. i'd agree with sfsvx's idea of a tank. actually i saw a light tank for sale in the autotrader last month. it was street legal with a browning .50 calibur machinegun that has been converted into semiautomatic for $45k. i'd love to own one of those and put it in my garage. think what burglars would think if they saw that in the garage. i think they'd put everything back exactly where they found it, drop down the money to fix any damages they caused and send a i'm sorry card to my house. if i saw a tank in the garage, i'd push the rewind button and score on the house 2 blocks down.

by the way, volvo's suck in my opinion. the one and only one i drove was last week and i got into an accident in it. totalled it going 35 mph hitting a guard rail. back kinda hurts. i think that s60 sucked. was expecting better from a volvo. definitely was not a awd. lost tracking on a road with sand and gravel. did not have enough space to manuever.