Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Ls7 Svx?

Isn't the Ls7 a dry sump engine? Without a big oil pan in the way you should be able to mount the engine quite low down (especially if you're up for a custom crossmember to go around the engine rather than under it). I think with enough trickery it should be possible to leave the stock hood alone. Just look how low the Corvette's hood is after all.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM

There are a couple different pan configurations with the LS7. From the vette, it has was is commonly known as a semi-dry sump pan.

As you can see, it only has one oil pickup which is bathed in oil at all times.
Just not a lot of oil at any given moment. Its pumped to a separate reservoir, then back to the engine.
A true dry sump has multiple scavenge points had a more efficient pump. Creating a vacuum in the pan itself. The pan never has a reserve of oil in it, thus the "Dry Sump."

Anyway.. Yes. I plan on keeping the semi-dry pump setup in it and setting as low as I can.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Its official. Im swapping in a c5 corvette suspension, transaxle, subframes and a monster of an engine.

SOoooo. I have a few parts up for sale

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61056
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I rest my case.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Is that a big-ass rear diff, or a rear-mounted transmission? Guessing the latter because the shift linkages go back there. Neat-o
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Is that a big-ass rear diff, or a rear-mounted transmission? Guessing the latter because the shift linkages go back there. Neat-o
Yep, corvettes have used a torque tube and rear trans since I believe the c5 chassis? It's been awhile, I know that much.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I rest my case.
Lol! yeah.. you got me there. Wanted to keep the stock suspension, but this is just a better way to go. And oddly enough, cheaper than swapping out to a bunch of sti components.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Little update. Well, Ive already picked up a couple sponsors for this project. Kaminari Aerodynamics has agreed to produce my widebody kit at cost. So, once I get the chassis set and the foam all carved up, I just need to swing in all the bits and they will make the molds and parts for me at cost. yay for that! Metal Masters is selling me tube and other materials for basically scrap prices.

Budget wise, $40,000 should cover all aspects of this build. This should also leave an approx. $8,000 cushion for the little odds and ends that come up. Im currently assembling proposals for various companies that I have worked with in the past for my rock crawling, and rally efforts. With any luck, I can start building up this budget with in a few months.

It seems that there are No rolling chassis for sale on the west coast. And believe me, ive been looking. I can find at least 10 on the east coast. Including a couple ls3 powered chassis. So, ill have to factor in shipping, and the joy of buying with out actually seeing the chassis in person.

Well. This project is well under way. WoooOOoo!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 PM

As for the final product, thanks to Farang here for his photoshop work back in 2010, it will look damn close to this:

Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

smc, that is great news! It seems you will be beating me to it then

Allow me to give you some pointers on the bodykit (since I am one of the few who fabbed their own bodykits for the SVX).

Advice 1: They should not at all times fab the new bodykit based on your existing panels (bumper covers, sides, etc...). Fiberglass/Carbonfiber should not at all times be screwed to plastic with bondo and crap. The OEM panels are to be used ONLY as a template while returning them intact.

Advice 2: Keep the front headlight/corners strictly SVX. Do not let them custom fit other front ends.

Advice 3: Use the Mitsubishi Evo 10 rear diffuser in the back of your custom bumper. I have this piece in my parts storage and had plans to redo my entire bodykit using this design

Advice 4: I am worried to what their plans will be to your rear quarter panels. How will they enlarge them? Metal fabrication or screwed fiberglass add ons or...?

I can give you (and them) great pointers in this perspective. Ask me if you are unsure of something

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Thank you SilverSpear for your advice! I do have a set of generation 3 dodge viper headlights that I might toy with. I will be designing the body kit in house. So as it progresses, I will be posting up pictures. Im mostly interested in keeping the drag coefficient as low as possible. The under tray and rear diffuser will be unique to our cars. I like the diffuser of the evo, however that appears to be just for looks. It doesn't extend far enough under the rear to properly aid in air flow. Its neither here nor there in mmy case. Ill need to properly balance out the aero package on this car. A wing will add -lift in the rear, and to an extent -lift in the front. The rear diffuser will have to be designed to aid in this, as will the fenders and front valance and gurney flaps.

The front suspension of the car is going to be located about 3" forward of its stock location, so custom fenders are a must. Not to mention the ride heights will be a bit lower than it sits now

The rear will simply have fender flares secured with dzus fasteners. Fabricated larger wheel wells. Any sheet metal in the way will be trimmed out for wheel and tire clearance. All of this kit will be fiberglass. As, in all honesty, I cant warrant spending the extra cash for carbon fiber to shave 20 lbs over glass.

After all, this car will be campaigned on the race circuit. Replacement front bumpers and fenders will get bloody expensive if they are all carbon

This will be one mean car once done. I hope nobody spins me into a wall for some time. Joys of racing.

Last edited by smc; 12-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 AM

Got my front suspension lined up.

Detroit Speed front suspension. With a little bit of work, a bolt on mod.

Im thinking this thread will soon need to be moved somewhere other than proven engine enhancements. As I highly doubt this will be a common swap.