Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: $36 Replacement ignition coils?

I am really wishing I had paid more attention in the electrical part of physics class.

What I have gathered from talking with Matt is that you can just put 6 ignitor thingies inside the Megasquirt itself. Also, the LS2 coils have ignitors built in that match them, so using those particular coils with the Megasquirt might be a good idea, just for simplicity's sake.

SMC, I have the megasquirt stuff about 75% figured out. Would you be interested in trying it too? You are going to be needing some kind of engine management anyway.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM

I was looking in depth into the hydra systems, as I plan on running a few different stages of ignition. The latest version of Hydra has provisions in the programming for launch control and a few different levels of antilag.

Currently, Im looking as MSD coils with a 0.680 ohm and 0.700 ohm primary resistance. Hmm.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
I was looking in depth into the hydra systems, as I plan on running a few different stages of ignition. The latest version of Hydra has provisions in the programming for launch control and a few different levels of antilag.

Currently, Im looking as MSD coils with a 0.680 ohm and 0.700 ohm primary resistance. Hmm.
MS3 can do launch control: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/launch.html

I was thinking to get a hydra, but an MS3 would be around $1k cheaper. Means more money to go to hardware. But the hydra would definitely be easier.

You mean MSD ignition?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8226/

Wow. MS has come a long way over the years! Ill start doing some digging on it.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Bump... Any new information about these items?
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM

With the stock ecu, the new coils are working like a champ. Zero issues as of yet. Ive put over 6,000 miles on them. And most of that was 'spirited' driving including a few autocross events and one open track day with the scca. Fine from idle to the rev limiter.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
With the stock ecu, the new coils are working like a champ. Zero issues as of yet. Ive put over 6,000 miles on them. And most of that was 'spirited' driving including a few autocross events and one open track day with the scca. Fine from idle to the rev limiter.
Thanks for the update. I needed to make sure of this before making the change
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 PM

So Mr. Harvey, what would be the risk of running these coils long-term on the stock ecu with no modifications to the timing at all?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Registered SVX
Plug Wires for this setup

Tried to fit several things to the inlets, but came up with this.

The wire set can be shortened, if you like, and if you have the detail talent.
As they are, there is no greater difficulty, then re-inserting the original "Coil on Plug" configuration.

Can someone explain how to inline the pictures, instead of attaching.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120923-00256.jpg (494.1 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg Prescott-20120923-00259.jpg (448.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg Prescott-20120923-00260.jpg (491.4 KB, 328 views)

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Plug Wires for this setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
Can someone explain how to inline the pictures, instead of attaching.
You need to first host them somewhere (The photo post function here, photobucket, facebook, etc), copy the URL of the picture (in Internet Explorer right click on the image and go to properties), and then paste that URL into your post here with [IMG] in front and [/IMG] at the end.

Example: [IMG]picture.address[/IMG]

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Plug Wires for this setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
You need to first host them somewhere (The photo post function here, photobucket, facebook, etc), copy the URL of the picture (in Internet Explorer right click on the image and go to properties), and then paste that URL into your post here with [IMG] in front and [/IMG] at the end.

Example: [IMG]picture.address[/IMG]
It works well with pics uploaded to this site, if you copy the link URLs after you have uploaded them using the "manage attachments" menu and put them between [img] tags.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the help. I jumped in and did all 6 coils and it has cleared up my rough engine. So, for the full price of 1 new Coil on Plug, I got a full set of this option. Yahhhh

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Registered SVX

considering how far down that spark plug is how difficult was it to connect a normal spark plug wire to the plug?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
considering how far down that spark plug is how difficult was it to connect a normal spark plug wire to the plug?
The set that I got worked perfectly. Things got a bit tight at the #6 plug, but it is no harder than the regular coil on plug routine.
Trying to get a regular wire on it is pretty hard, being that it's hard to feel the "click" when it's locked in place, and chasing that far in, to get ON the plug.

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 10-18-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: finish
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 AM

Registered SVX

Any updates on this? I think my car may be having rough idle because of a weak coil and im doing everything i can before putting money in to a new replacement coil.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.