IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Strut Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
i got both front struts for $273 which includes shipping from Washington State.

nate and svxfiles: i have a friend who was a mechanic he did just about everything from the stories he tells and he has the spring compressor which has not failed on us yet lol
must have been the $115 per front I seen as well
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
must have been the $115 per front I seen as well
i think they were a little over that but it was the best price i could get and i have gotten parts from them before here is the site if you want to look

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM
The Molinator

I dont know how worn my stock struts were.. when I put on drop springs and Koni strut inserts (nor do I remember the cost) .. . BUT, the difference was incredible.. I think dropping 1.5 inches in front.. and 1 inch in back (?). Got from Motorsports (Dayle), 2004 I think.. ?

Basically, MY stock shocks were pathetic .. my SVX rocked back and forth.. even a little to and fro! (Like a boat in a storm!) .. Ask others (OOPS! If they haven't said earlier in this thread already! Ha!) if the OEM struts are worth replacing.. I mean worth installing new ones.. ??
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The guys in Japan have figured out how to use Bilstein.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanakas...7627940671415/
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
The guys in Japan have figured out how to use Bilstein.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanakas...7627940671415/
That was an aftermarket option over there FYI
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Any idea what the difference is?

Seriously, though, we need a contingency plan for when Koni bails and Subaru finally does run out. The info about the WRX struts is exactly what we need. Wouldn't STi struts have the right space for the SVX knuckles?
Yes it would, but I don't know if it has the same lengths as the WRX and SVX one. They were kind of pricey 5 years ago when I put WRX fronts on the rear of the SVX racer. A place like Penske who does lots of one off inserts would also be a good source. You could actually get a real double adjustable strut rather than the basic Koni. Don't get me wrong I liked my Konis on my SVX but I do think Subaru's ignorance when dealing with the crap they called rear struts let to me to realize just how far the Subaru cluster has fallen.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Besides stock and Koni are there any other strut options for our svx's Im reluctant to buy oem struts that may have been sitting on the shelf for many years and have lost there full function capabilities. Koni's are big bucks, so any alternate cheaper struts that would work.
Custom coilovers @ http://www.amrengineering.com/

Ray
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Yes it would, but I don't know if it has the same lengths as the WRX and SVX one. They were kind of pricey 5 years ago when I put WRX fronts on the rear of the SVX racer. A place like Penske who does lots of one off inserts would also be a good source. You could actually get a real double adjustable strut rather than the basic Koni. Don't get me wrong I liked my Konis on my SVX but I do think Subaru's ignorance when dealing with the crap they called rear struts let to me to realize just how far the Subaru cluster has fallen.
Height I don't think would be much of an issue actually, just because there is a very good variety of adjustable height coilovers that are not that terribly expensive. They don't have to be stock, they just need to be an affordable option for the future.

What do you mean about the rear struts? I'm not understanding you.

Oh, and thanks for the info.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

So I was looking at the Koni inserts listed on classicgarage.com and other sites.

It seems like this solves at least one issue and is nearly the same as the path I was following. Nearly all package struts are actually a cartridge swaged into a carrier. Such is the case with our struts. So what I am working on is a simple (read:inexpensive) method to cut, gut, and thread our struts to accept common cartridges.

I have contacted several manufacturers about the damping rates of candidate cartridges. The goal is to get a close or slightly firmer damping rate that comes from a common car.

For example; take a early 90's Chevy Lumina. Similar weight and front wheel drive. The Euro and Z34 sport suspensions were higher damping rate. That cartridge is inexpensive, available nearly anywhere on the planet, and comes with its own mounting nut.

So the goal is to use a common part with an adapted strut to come up with a less expensive alternative for the average daily driver that is also available at the FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store).

The custom bits are great especially for sporting folks but it just seems like a set of adapted struts that accept common GM/Nissan/Toyota cartridges opens up an inexpensive, reliable, long term solution. Of course it also opens the possibility of other cartridges for track or performance use but does not offer an adjustable spring perch.

The choice of cartridges will also open some options for the upper strut mount. An existing mount can be used as an adapter plate to eliminate the need to drill holes or modify the tower. For those who want less noise transmitted to the interior you would be able to keep rubber strut mounts.

So that is the status of my effort. I'll share more once I have data back from the manufacturers.

-Mike O
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Some of these folks are just amusing.

Me: "Hello. I am calling to request engineering info on your strut cartridge lines."
Koni: "We don't publish that info online."
Me: "I didn't confine my request to online resources. How do I acquire engineering data (dimensions, etc) for your strut cartridges?"
Koni: "We don't publish that information."
Me: "So when an auto company asks for data you make them guess the dimensions to see if they get it right? Really now. Do you need an NDA or other agreement in place to share the engineering specs?"
Koni: *crickets chirping*

Next...

Me: "Hello. I am calling to request engineering info on your strut cartridge lines."
KYB: "We don't publish that info online."
Me: "I didn't confine my request to online resources. How do I acquire engineering data (dimensions, etc) for your strut cartridges?"
KYB: "We don't publish that information for the general public."
Me: "Do you need an NDA or other agreement in place to share the engineering specs? Is this something that resellers can access?"
KYB: *crickets chirping*
KYB: "I'll need to check with a supervisor or I can transfer you to our business relations department."
Me: "Please transfer me"

Next:

Monroe: "Do you have a specific application in mind?"
Me: "Yes but I am interested in a sustainable replacement from a higher volume production vehicle."
Monroe: "Not a problem. If you can give me your email address and phone number we'll send you links to a secure server where you can pick up the info you need."
Me: "Great."
Monroe: "Anything else we can help with?"
Me: "No. That is all for today."
Monroe: "Have a great day and please call or email if you need additional info..."

I had the links in my email inbox in less than an hour.

-Mike O
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Cool, keep us posted with what you find.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Yes, good project!
I'm ready to f...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Update II -

I was able to reach a tech rep at Koni who gave me the dimensional AND damping data for a variety of cartridges that are within the range of interest.

-Mike O
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
That was an aftermarket option over there FYI
Hiya Nate, I have been in contact with Bilstein (I use them for motorsport) and also my contact in Japan neither can find any reference to a unit made for the Alcyone.
Where did you get this info or can you get part numbers?
Maybe it's from another JDM model that just happens to fit?

Cheers
Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Hiya Nate, I have been in contact with Bilstein (I use them for motorsport) and also my contact in Japan neither can find any reference to a unit made for the Alcyone.
Where did you get this info or can you get part numbers?
Maybe it's from another JDM model that just happens to fit?

Cheers
Darren
I have found this site, Bilstein-Japan distributor?

http://www.ennepetal.co.jp/index.html

Here is a direct link to the page listing the struts for the SVX (the first listing):

http://www.ennepetal.co.jp/01ss/poli...per/page1.html

Here is a blogger installing them.

http://blogsvx.exblog.jp/968078

And a nice shot of them: