IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Sometimes start issue

I have a bizarre issue I can't seem to nail down- my 92 SVX sometimes just doesn't want to start. It's not like the "click no start" issue, and I've replaced that relay. It's not a dead battery, as it does sometimes start on its own. It's not the security system, as when it does start, the security system could have been off or on- it seems to be totally random.

Sometimes, if you turn the key it will turn over immediately and fire right up. Sometimes, if you turn/hold the key, it will turn over and start after a second or two. Sometimes, what sounds like the security module beeps 2 or more times while I'm holding the key in the start position, and then it starts. Then sometimes, just nothing at all.

When the car just won't start, if you bump the starter once or twice to turn it, the car will start, but it doesn't seem like your average starter issue, as a dead spot usually clicks or makes some noise- this is turn key and dead silence.

I am replacing the starter anyway, and probably will end up replacing the electronic portion of the ignition switch, but has anyone had anything like this going on? I don't mind replacing parts, but a direction to head in is always better than just throwing parts at a problem.

Thanks!
Brian
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX
Re: Sometimes start issue

I should probably add that the car is 5MT swapped, and the NSS is wired across the connector, so it has nothing to do with that. It will start without touching the clutch at this point. That will be fixed properly in the near future, but isn't part of the issue.

Also, it is not a fuel problem as it runs fine when it does start, and the problem is the random no cranking over.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

There is a starter interrupt relay under the dash, attached to the steering column. That seems to be the culprit in this situation many times. I swapped out the relay from my parts car and it made a big difference. Still takes a second or so before it decides to fire up sometimes though. Search for a thread called no more click, click, click, start, only start. Shows the location of the relay and stuff.

Probably not the starter, but it could be the ignition switch if it's not the starter kill relay.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

On my car, the bolt that held down the positive lead loosened itself up and caused the click no-start condition for me. Might wanna check to make sure it's tight.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

The starter interrupt relay is the one I replaced, and I just put the battery in two months ago (the problem has existed since I bought the car) so the terminals are tight. Thanks for the ideas guys- I ordered the electrical portion of the ignition switch yesterday- hopefully that will cure it.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

This is what i was told from a master subaru tech when i was having the same issue. You probably have a broken wire in your steering collum that runs to the starter causing it to not get power to the little black wire that plugs into the starter. He drew me up a diagram and told me just to run a new relay between the batt and the sarter and the little black wire. No point in tearing aprt the collum and finding this wire in my position of just needing to drive the car, but I did what he said and have had not an issue since. I also replaced the inturrupt relay and it didnt do anything. lmk if you would like some more direction and i can go take a look at how i wired its up been to long.
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

I have the wiring diagram, so I should be able to chase out that wire when I get the ignition switch- thanks for the idea!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Ursalia View Post
I have the wiring diagram, so I should be able to chase out that wire when I get the ignition switch- thanks for the idea!
There is no chance that you have a broken wire in your steering "collum" that runs to the starter.

Keith
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Not sure if that is a question or a statement, but chasing the wires to/from the ignition switch isn't a bad idea .
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

I seem to have found the solution to my own SVX starting problems.
We have 4 SVXes, two garage queens and two SVXes under car covers on the driveway.
We just didn't run the SVXes enough to keep the batteries from draining. So I now have 3 battery maintainers ($20- ea.). They seem to be doing the job. The two SVXes in the garage share a battery maintainer(1/2 week on & 1/2 week off) This maintainer is plugged into the garage outlet. Each SVX on the driveway has its own maintainer. Both maintainers are connected to the battery under the hood and sit on the left front tire under the car cover. They get their power from 'outside extension cords' run to the garage which are connected to a multiplug heavy duty extention cord run through the garage to the electrical socket in the laundry room. I admit this system is cumbersome and will improve it when the weather turns nice.

But now I can wash and dry my unmentionables and charge the SVX bateries, all at the same time.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 02-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

I wish it was the battery, but that is not the issue. It started once yesterday before I changed out the relay, and then once after. I tried to start it again to see if the problem was licked, and it wouldn't start. Twenty minutes later as I was leaving to run errands, I tried it again for fun, and it fired right up. I shut it off and tried again, and again it started right up. Did it once more for fun, and it started.

Came back an hour later, and it wouldn't start. I think I need a priest and some holy water, not car parts at this point, but I'm always looking for ideas of things I've missed .
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Bringing it back from the dead... Did this get resolved?

I too have replaced in inhibitor relay - the car has gone from *sometimes* starting/having issues for 6 months (before replacing), to working perfect for 6 days straight (right after replacing), then *never* starting (7th day after replacing). Mine is 5 speed swapped, with the Neutral cut-out jumpered, and a properly functioning NSS hooked up to the clutch.

I'll be putting a jumper into the recently replaced inhibitor relay spot to start with, then trying to find voltage drops. Does anyone have a schematic and/or physical pictures of the components involved in the starter/ignition circuit? Based on the myriad of problems people are experiencing with this, i'm not fully convinced the only inhibitors here are an NSS, inhibitor relay, and ignition relay (behind the key and tumblers).

The issue seems to be what THIS fella is experiencing, as opposed to the loud CLICK that somethingelse and others had at the starter solenoid.

Thanks

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap

Last edited by ridered777; 03-29-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM

Registered SVX

Are you cranking and not starting? Or are you unable to get the car to fire? The starter circuit is quite simple. Make sure the battery is good. Make sure the starter is good. You can follow the circuit with a multimeter looking for a voltage drop. If the car cranks, verify you have fuel and/or spark.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Are you cranking and not starting? Or are you unable to get the car to fire? The starter circuit is quite simple. Make sure the battery is good. Make sure the starter is good. You can follow the circuit with a multimeter looking for a voltage drop. If the car cranks, verify you have fuel and/or spark.
Car will not crank. The highly mentioned loud "click" upon keyturn is not noticable (aka "present").

I've had the starter out twice in the last 2 months - cleaned the housing, disassembled and cleaned solenoid as well. All contacts look to be in good shape. But based on the symptoms, logic dictates my problems is before the starter in the scheme of things.

I'd love to follow the circuit if I could just find a comprehensive diagram of aforementioned circuit. I've found several threads that mention this, but the only with concrete information is dated 2005, and thus all pictures have "expired" or been removed by this point. Tim asked in July (in that thread), if anyone had archived said pictures, with no response.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap

Last edited by ridered777; 03-29-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Did you try jumping the starter solenoid from the battery? Check if the wire that plugs into the starter solenoid is getting power when you turn the key at all.

I found an old post in which the starter wasn't getting enough amperage to turn over due to having used too small of wires for the NSS clutch switch in manual swapped cars. I used a relay that powers the starter off the battery, starts up every time now.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album