Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
SVX strut replacement (non - KONI)

Has anyone purchased and installed aftermarket rear struts from another Subaru Model/year into the SVX successfully?

I don't want to purchase OEM struts from the dealer... for all the obvious reasons/warnings here. And I don't want to purchase Koni inserts because they are too pricey.

Surely someone has cross referenced other subaru models and found a strut replacement that bolts up and provides adequate suspension support. I'm thinking the Outback wagon would be a good candidate if the specs are close.

I realize that the specs of an Outback strut vs. an SVX strut may be somewhat different, but how drastic can the difference be? I'm thinking as long as the strut has enough travel in each direction, has the same bolt pattern (strut to Spindle), same coil seat offset (where the coil springs sits), and same thread pitch (top of strut) I should be o.k....right?

Would prefer to here from those with experience rather that just opinions, but begars can't be choosers, right?! Fire away...
Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: SVX strut replacement (non - KONI)

Won't work, without massive work. I'm running WRX coilovers on my car and it took me about 13 hours to install them. The SVX suspension is unique in it's top mount bolt pattern and the thickness of the lower mount, although the overall strut lengths are similar-ish.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Won't work, without massive work. I'm running WRX coilovers on my car and it took me about 13 hours to install them. The SVX suspension is unique in it's top mount bolt pattern and the thickness of the lower mount, although the overall strut lengths are similar-ish.

WRX front struts will work on the rear easy enough provided you are willing to grind down the rear hub enough for the strut mout bracket to fit. You would need an SVX top hat and would need to come up with the proper spacer for the threaded portion of the dampener. Of course I wouldn't know how the loss of the 1/4 inch of steel will do long term with the weight of the SVX. I would suspect the STi front strut might be a better fit as I think it has the same rear hub mount dimension as the SVX but have never seen one so I can't say for sure. Took us about 2-3 hours to swap to the Imp fronts on the rear on the racer but we didn't have a rear shelf to remove. It worked good enough I guess but no idea how it would work with a standard spring set up.

Fronts are a little more dicey as you have the sway bar mount to deal with and welding a bracket on there with oil in the strut isn't the easiest thing to do without an incident.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
WRX front struts will work on the rear easy enough provided you are willing to grind down the rear hub enough for the strut mout bracket to fit. You would need an SVX top hat and would need to come up with the proper spacer for the threaded portion of the dampener. Of course I wouldn't know how the loss of the 1/4 inch of steel will do long term with the weight of the SVX. I would suspect the STi front strut might be a better fit as I think it has the same rear hub mount dimension as the SVX but have never seen one so I can't say for sure. Took us about 2-3 hours to swap to the Imp fronts on the rear on the racer but we didn't have a rear shelf to remove. It worked good enough I guess but no idea how it would work with a standard spring set up.

Fronts are a little more dicey as you have the sway bar mount to deal with and welding a bracket on there with oil in the strut isn't the easiest thing to do without an incident.
Congrats on post number 6,000!

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Hi, I replaced all 4 with new OEM struts from subaruparts.com about 5 years ago. No trouble since then.

Kind Regards

Marcus
Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hi, I replaced all 4 with new OEM struts from subaruparts.com about 5 years ago. No trouble since then.

Kind Regards

Marcus
How much for the parts and then labor? Curious...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX

thank you benebob
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX

The WRX front struts while close have 1" less travel and are approximately 3/4" shorter than the stock SVX rear strut. I've gone through the entire Monroe Sensa Track Strut inventory and have found only a couple comparable struts. I have a set of 91 Legacy struts on order as they match the SVX as close as possible in terms of lengths and travel.

The hardest part is finding a strut that has the same lower spring seat (perch) orientation. Many are not oriented in the same manner as the SVX and it is almost impossible to tell from a picture. Also, the perch could be welded onto the strut almost anywhere, also making it difficult to size up from a pic.

I'll let you guys know how the 91 Legacy struts look once they come in. If the perch is correct, I assume it will raise the rear about 3/4", which is perfectly fine with me. Keep you posted...

SVX rear strut specs & other comparables, in inches....

Year/Model - Body Length - Compressed length - Extended Length - Travel
92-97 SVX .... 15.25 ............. 15.25 ..................... 23 ........................ 7.625
02' WRX ........ 14.48 ............ 14.98 ...................... 21.43 ................... 6.45
91 Legacy L ... 16.50 ............ 14.125 .................... 22.25 ................... 8.125

Last edited by svxcuseme; 02-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme View Post
The WRX front struts while close have a over 1" less travel than the SVX rear strut. Here are the approximate SVX rear strut specs:

Body Length Compressed length Extended Length Travel
15.25 inches 15.25 inches 23 inches 7.625 inches

Year/Make/Model Body Length Compressed length Extended Length Travel
92-97 SVX 15.25 15.25 23 7.625
Good info. I will say we never came close to bottoming it out with a drop in suspension of about 1-1.5 inches. Of course that was with 200lbs per inch springs vs the 140-150ish stock on the svx.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX

Agreed. I don't think the WRX struts would ever cause any issues whatsoever. They are almost identical to the SVX and they cost a fraction of what the KONI inserts cost. The aftermarket (KYB or Monroe) WRX front struts (for installation on the SVX rear) run $150ish for both!

I was only concerned that they might lower the ride height given that the strut body is a little shorter. If anything I want the ride height up a little. I am running springs with a 165ish compression ratio. FYI the SVX stock springs are only rated at 110! Someone described them well in another post by proclaiming "Holy Marshmallow"!

Last edited by svxcuseme; 02-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
How much for the parts and then labor? Curious...
I donīt recall the price, but I ordered from subaruparts.com.

How much they charge for labor I cannot tell either, since I replaced them by my own. Itīs pretty straight forward, if you follow the manual. It is recommended to replace the self fastening nuts with new ones. They are pricy and you need plenty of them. In consequence I replaced the most importand ones on the front but did use lock tight on the rear axis instead. You might want to replace the rubber boots on front and rear axis (I didnīt do so and had to regret it) while you are at it.

Kind Regards

Marcus
Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme View Post
Agreed. I don't think the WRX struts would ever cause any issues whatsoever. They are almost identical to the SVX and they cost a fraction of what the KONI inserts cost. The aftermarket (KYB or Monroe) WRX front struts (for installation on the SVX rear) run $150ish for both!

I was only concerned that they might lower the ride height given that the strut body is a little shorter. If anything I want the ride height up a little. I am running springs with a 165ish compression ratio. FYI the SVX stock springs are only rated at 110! Someone described them well in another post by proclaiming "Holy Marshmallow"!
haha holy marshmallow, i would have to agree with that statement the suspension on mine feels like it floats like a cloud and it actually makes my brother motion sick and i have a lot of body roll
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
haha holy marshmallow, i would have to agree with that statement the suspension on mine feels like it floats like a cloud and it actually makes my brother motion sick and i have a lot of body roll
To me the stock set up in good as new condition is just fine. Subie doesn't use real strong spring, I remember reading the strongest spring until the STi was the 98 RS and it was around 160lbs/inch.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX

The 91 Legacy perch is oriented just like the SVX and WRX allthough it is welded onto the body of the strut much higher than the SVX or Front WRX. Looks like it will raise the vehicle by 2.5 inches. Not sure how that will look so I may end up going with the WRX front struts afterall.

I should retract my previous statement about the WRX front struts dropping the SVX in the rear because the body is shorter. Its really all about the distance of the perch to the bottom spindle mount hole. If these are the same then the WRX strut would make the car ride at the same height as the SVX. We'll see...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

EDIT: Re-read and understood.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 02-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.