How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-28-2002, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
this time seems ligit. i can run 15.3s all day long with my 92 AWD svx and have done so ..

a FWD wil be alittle quiker ..exhaust.. intake a hi 14 is verry doable also if its really cold outside u wil gain some tenths also.

i ran 15.3 stock only intake and stock wheels
Old 08-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Lowered SVX

seraph......

your fwd must have been junk. ask randy which is quicker off the line. my fwd launches off the line. remember with fwd there is no power being sent to the rear wheels. all of it is directed immediately to the front wheels.

i will post an open challenge to any n/a awd in the 1/4 mile.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-28-2002, 06:44 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Re: seraph......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
your fwd must have been junk. ask randy which is quicker off the line. my fwd launches off the line. remember with fwd there is no power being sent to the rear wheels. all of it is directed immediately to the front wheels.

Just remember, if you have the time (pun intended), please send your 1/4 mile timeslip info to me so I can post it up. I got a fetish for this and keep needing more 1/4 mile info from all makes and models of scoobies so I can pick them apart late late at night. I live for this.

If I could have an autox page I probably would but that's more driver oriented, not the car. I want to know about the CAR, every subaru car/make and model and how they performs at all states of tune (modifications). L8Rs
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 PM
juan

Thumbs up

I ran in 1/8 mile race here, in Ensenada, on August and on September. The first time, we were out because we broke out the time of the bracket (bracket 4 was 10.01 sec). Our time was 9.686 sec.The next race, we ran in Bracket 3 (limit time 8.01 sec) and our time was 9.421 sec. (using a mix of premium gas and race fuel )
I don't know if with those times we can run the 1/4 mile in close 14 sec.
The mods in my SVX are dual exhaust, cone air filter, spark plugs bosch platinum 4+.
Please believe me. I have the timeslips.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:20 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
a fwd is lighter im shure no rear difrential and all they will run quiker same things as a eclipse FWD gst runing 15.1 stock to a eclipse GSX AWD runing 15.3 with the exact same engines ones lighter. same concept with the svx

the times seem to be ligit 93.5 is a right mph for that run

but i never see a svx runing 13s off juice only.. i can see the tranny blowing to a million pieces

my personal opinion i think its true
I haven't read the rest o fthe posts but a FWD SVX is slower. If you got AWD put it in FWD and try it. It is slower off the line. Has to be cause the front can't handle all the torque. I know from experience when my RWD was out. The car torque steered and was very dangerous.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Hitchhikin'

But FWD cars also have less weight.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:17 AM
CopsodyX

Re: seraph......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX

Wrong. Ever put the fuse under the hood of an AWD SVX to make it FWD? So much as TAP on the accelerator and experience massive torque steer, and almost indefinite tire squeal until you lift the gas.

I drove an FWD SVX at Metric a few weeks ago. Subaru definitely retarded something in the car, because there was no tire squeal, and no torque steer. This car was mint.

So, I think they reduce off the line power in the FWD models.

Oh, and BTW, I think they do the same in the AWD ones. Those tires should squeal a bit, and I bet the AWD sensors automatically reduce power off the line for a smooth (slow) take off. Today, I experienced it. I put my SVX on a slippery surface, and floored it. All four wheels were spinning in first gear to the redline, and then the system retarded itself, and the engine slowed up.

Something tells me the ECU is even more advanced than we thought .
Old 09-27-2002, 05:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Re: seraph......

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

Something tells me the ECU is even more advanced than we thought .
I do agree with you. There is a wire that goes from the TCU to the ECU it is for engine torque control. It is expalined as being for shifting. You know backing off the engine whenthe trans shifts. I have beenthinking about trying a switch on that wire. But then........ the trans would most likely blow up after a few quick starts.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:03 AM
CopsodyX

Re: Re: Re: seraph......

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I do agree with you. There is a wire that goes from the TCU to the ECU it is for engine torque control. It is expalined as being for shifting. You know backing off the engine whenthe trans shifts. I have beenthinking about trying a switch on that wire. But then........ the trans would most likely blow up after a few quick starts.
Well, when I get my 5 speed and lose the TCU, will I actually experience, oh, idunno...FUN starts? How soon does viscous coupling AWD work?

Subaru retarded the torque. Bastards. You know, I always knew after flooring my car at 30 and it downshifted into 1st gear and practically launched me into my back seat that the engine is way more powerful than the computer lets it be.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:24 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Re: Re: Re: seraph......

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Has anyone done this mod yet or are considering doing it? What are (were) the results of modifying this wire?
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 10-02-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: seraph......

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

Well, when I get my 5 speed and lose the TCU, will I actually experience, oh, idunno...FUN starts? How soon does viscous coupling AWD work?

Subaru retarded the torque. Bastards. You know, I always knew after flooring my car at 30 and it downshifted into 1st gear and practically launched me into my back seat that the engine is way more powerful than the computer lets it be.
I've got the ACT and tried to spin all 4 on dry pavement only to suffer very severe driveline shock. The motor went down to like 400rpm. It's nearly impossible (or at least stupid) to try to spin these giant tires. However, when the roads are wet and I'm in an underdrive gear they will break loose if I hit the hammer a bit hard. I must say that the SVX is a whole different animal with the 5 speed, much quicker off the line, suspension seems a bit stiffer in the front end after loosing that extra weigh, and I have yet to experience brake fade (even when braking from 120mph+). I cant wait til winter (if I can't sell the car before then) with the 50/50 torque split and my NT 450s it's gonna be a blast.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:56 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

I stayed out of this long enough. A while back Heavy Balls and I were going to see which car is faster, the '94 SVX L or the '92 SVX LS. I can attest that the SVX LS AWD(Mine), did infact beat him right off the line. After the first second or so Kenny's FWD SVX L sure enough caught up to my pearly and pulled away. We tried this over and over only to reach the same outcome.

So, the '94 FWD SVX L is faster than the '92 AWD SVX LS. This outcome is due to these facts:

1. I weigh more than he does, therefore more curb weight.
2. The rear diff and driveline and all working parts on an AWD SVX add weight
3. Fluid levels were extremely close, both car's near 1/2 tank gas with all vital engine fluids full.
4. I have a subwoofer and amp in the trunk, thus again adding to the overall curb weight.

So, this should help to shed light on this debate. In the 1/4 mile, I ran pretty consistent 17.04's to 17.07's all night. The numbers would show quicker times, but I wen't out that night to see what ballpark figures the car is capable of, not to ruin my tranny.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Wow. That's resurrecting an old thread!

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:52 PM
JLittell

OK.. Must be the hood scoopes!!
Old 05-28-2004, 02:12 AM
deruvian

It appears as though no one here cared to take into account that the FWD SVX has a 3.70 final drive, versus the 3.54 of the AWD.

And CopsodyX, if you're still around (haven't seen you in a while), the AWD SVX is sluggish off the line with the FWD fuse for one main reason: You are turning your slip-reducing AWD powerhouse into a 3.54 final drive FWD slug. When in AWD mode, stomping on the gas will cause the torque to be split in the most appropriate manner in order to create the best acceleration possible (keeping in mind that this is all within the limits of the 90/10 down to 50/50 capabilities of the US SVX tranny). When in FWD mode, you take that capability away, and only put your torque through the front wheels with a final drive that is much too high.

If I were to race you in my FWD SVX, versus your AWD with the FWD fuse in place, I'm highly confident that mine would have better acceleration off the line, have a faster 1/4-mile time, and probably a slightly faster trap speed. This is all due to the lower final drive. Not dissing on the AWD, because I actually like it better. This situation is just fairly synonymous to someone dropping in a 4.11 final drive into their AWD SVX. The gearing makes all the difference.