Old 08-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Near Divorce??

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
After much deliberating, my wife decided that the '95 Lecacy saloon of ours was a little too small and too old. The local Subaru dealer was advertising a nice '98 Legacy estate so I was sent to check it out.

On arrival, the salesman was busy showing the car to someone else so I had a walk around the lot, looking at the other cars. Tucked into a corner I saw a strange shape, curiosity got the better of me and I walked over.

Oooh its one of those SVX thingys, with those funny windows, and the nice wheels, and the shiny roof, and the door is unlocked, ...UNLOCKED!!!!! maybe I can sneak a look while the salesman is busy. Oooh those leather seats, and the suede trim, and the digital A/C and the..... can I help you sir?

I turned around with the look of a startled rabbit. "I was only looking, I didn't touch anything, honest I......"

"I am a little busy at the moment sir, here are the keys just take it for a drive, I should be free in about 1/2 an hour"

One black eye and a near divorce later an I am the proud owner of a '93 Liquid Silver SVX.

Andy

Ps Her indoors is getting used to doing the school run and weekly shopping in it now.
Andy,

I thought there might have been some tension there, but said nought, I am married to an Irishwoman myself. Know the score.

Buy her a Toyota Yaris for the shopping. Loads of room. She will love you forever. Take the pressure off your car being unsuitable.

Also, if I saw your car in the back of a lot, I would be risking WW 3 to get it.

You did the right thing mate.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-28-2002, 06:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Well, many of you know the saga and search that I have been engaged in since the early days of the Yahoo club....

.....I first saw an SVX in about 1995 when I was tyre-kicking with some friends who were looking at turbo Japanese imports....I wandered off (having no interest in cars at that time...my how things change!) and saw this white car with funny windows and a black roof. I opened the door and sat in it and, like most others here even though they won't admit it, was hit by a beam of light as all became clear - what is this, I want it, I need it!!

And so began a search! I was then in Year 2 of a 5 year degree and could not afford the $40,000 they wanted but as time went on, I saw them come up for sale but never was in the position to get one. Finished uni, did another course (to get admitted as a lawyer) and then started my current job. Finally in a position to afford one (and prices had dropped) but after an extremely costly experience with an MX6 turbo (1989 model) I swore I would get the lastest SVX that I could find - which is very hard considering 3 were sold in Australia in 1997!

Missed out on two yellow ones, Cassie urged a green one and I saw various others from the hopelessly optimistic (in terms of price!!!) to the downright neglected.

I got an email from a fellow seeking advice on an SVX that a friend of his was thinking of selling so I gave him my thoughts and although he was impressed, was vetoed by his wife - he recommended that I take a look. Rang the seller, sounded all very impressive.....and then the price $20,000!!! For 61,000km one owner with transmission done!

Off I go to the other side of Sydney....and to say that I knew this was the one was an understatement. Lavishly cared for, an enthusiast of an owner.....brilliant!!!

Some stuffing around with the finance (because 10 years old) and I picked it up at 3.30pm on 27 August 2002.

I don't like SVX's...I am obsessed with them!! Rather than repeat the earlier postings, I share the same desire and admiration for the car as a package and the sheer value and performance it offers.

Oh....and the fact that it will NEVER go out of date until such time as every other car looks as futuristic as it does!

James

(one of 97 SVX's currently registered in New South Wales)

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
LOL good story there andy
Old 08-28-2002, 07:34 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
*Story*.................

James

Dang James! You almost brought a tear to my eye. *sniffle*
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 08-28-2002, 08:13 AM
alacrity024

I've always been a fan of subaru vehicles. My mother has been driving White Subaru Station Wagons ever since I can remember (her first car was a Renault Le Car, and after that, it was all Subie, all the way) So all my life, I'd known nothing but the reliability, uniqueness and inherent ability to rust of Subaru. My first car was a 1989 Subaru RX. A turbocharged, full-time 4wd (not awd) hatchback. Grandaddy to the WRX, if you will. I've somehow made a promise to myself to drive sporty Subarus and nothing else. The next logical step from the RX was a Legacy turbo, an SVX, or a WRX. A WRX was way out of my league when the RX finally stopped, and there just so happened to be a teal '92 SVX sitting outside of the local Shady Used Car Dealer's lot. I suppose the next car will be a WRX (STi if I can afford it) and after that I'd love a twin turbo legacy wagon, should SOA opt to bring them over.

-Adam
Old 08-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Owner At Last before OAP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Some stuffing around with the finance (because 10 years old) and I picked it up at 3.30pm on 27 August 2002.

I don't like SVX's...I am obsessed with them!! Rather than repeat the earlier postings, I share the same desire and admiration for the car as a package and the sheer value and performance it offers.

Oh....and the fact that it will NEVER go out of date until such time as every other car looks as futuristic as it does!

James

CONGRATULATIONS JAMES!!

Hard to believe it. The most obsessive SVX man on the web has a car at last!! Brilliant. The very best of luck to a fellow Irishman. James, may your tranny die of old age, and may your bearings never purr, never mind growl.

Hope Pepe is pleased. You say 10 years old, so I am guessing it is not yellow. What colour? C'mon, you own it since yesterday, put up some pics so we can all drool. Esp a picture of the mileometer.

Good on yer mate.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I was not looking for a car. I did not need a car. It sang to me, as the sirens sang to Ulysses. But, unlike Usysses, I did not resist and have cast myself into the see of destruction.

James,
Amazingly I bought both of my SVXes in August. The second, I had scheduled to buy in July, but, the owner could not work out his schedule. This further confirms the fact that I was meant to have this car: The car was released to dealers in August 91. I was born in August and I bought both cars in August (not intentionally).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-28-2002, 09:53 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Randy,
We ALWAYS just knew there was something strange about you................ But of course, the car is strange too - or at least different. Are you different?
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx
Randy,
We ALWAYS just knew there was something strange about you................ But of course, the car is strange too - or at least different. Are you different?
Harry
I *am* different, but, in a GOOD way.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-28-2002, 06:09 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I *am* different, but, in a GOOD way.
But, of course!!
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-29-2002, 05:00 AM
squiggy

My aunt had a 85-86? subaru 2 door coupe xt(?) I loved even though it was literally held together with bubble gum, tape,rust, coat hangers, etc...the body was rusted to crap..the seats down to the springs..am-fm radio no cassette, tiny tinny speakers...I swear to stop we almost had to do a Fred Flintstone...But --EVERYDAY-- she stuck the key in the ignition it started and purred like a contented pussycat..no matter the weather conditions..no matter how cold outside .. it also seemed she could blow the doors off the guys near the red lights at school (I was 13-14 yrs old at the time) then I got my license and fantasized along with my buddies who wanted firebirds, camaros, eclipses,etc..

then in 91 I go to the NYC car show and there it was (cue theme song from 2001 A Space Odyssey) the new Subaru SVX..I was the only one in my "posse" who even grabbed any lit from the people there.. ..fstfwd 11 years later and (in the immortal words of "THE ROCK") FINALLY the SVX has come to rest in my driveway...Subaru earned my respect with the Rustbucket, but got my heart with the SVX
Love at first sight
lust at first drive..
Squiggy
Old 08-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Squiggy

You're chokin' me up here.

Fairytales do come true.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-29-2002, 05:15 PM
calmone

i have to say that when the svx first came out i am one who did NOT like the design. in fact, for some years i thought how foolish it looked. then for a few years the car never crossed my mind. last fall the wife began her annual harp about a 4 wheel drive car (ALL my cars are rear wheel drive and we have a 2/10 of a mile driveway). i began to wonder how to keep her happy. then i thought of that funny windowed car. it dawned on me that there weren't many of them around. i thought of the cars i had, or admired. they were all sort of odd ball cars for one reason or another, usually ones that few people owned. i began to kick myself. OF COURSE i shouted to myself! I'LL LOOK FOR AN SVX! suddenly the car didn't look funny any more. in fact, each day as i researched the car it looked more and more beautiful. then i told the little woman that certainly she could get an all wheel drive car, but why get an ordinary car, one everybody had? why not get something people would look at in awe and wonder. and why get some car that took 15 seconds to get to 55 mph when you could get a sporty car. and why get some mundane interior and stripped down model when you could have a car with all kinds of bells and whistles. and she then understood that if we were going to have an all wheel driver there was ONLY ONE car to consider. and so it came to pass that we both now love the looks and questions we get as we tool around in that blue funny looking car that handles and drives like a dream. and so far we and the car live hapilly ever after (or at least until the trannie goes).
Old 08-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

p.s. does she have a sister?
Actually her younger sister (a college junior) looks almost identical to her but, unfortunately, has the brain of a gnat.
Someday I will get them both in bikinis and have another nice hood ornament picture for my locker with 2-svx's side by side.

The stereo- -
Picked her up at the airport with the 'secret radio hiding' panel closed. Thought I'd make it home and at least get a good nights sleep and let her find out the next day. Completely forgot about the remote sitting in the cupholder. Its times like that I wish she were as dumb as her sister.
Still have not told her what it cost me, but, she was actually NOT mad!! She liked it alot and she wants one too. Its a good thing I found a spoiler for her birthday or I'd be shelling out for another stereo for her car.

The real salt in the wound is checking e-bay last week and seeing the 6-disc factory decks from the wrx's are going for $150 on e-bay now.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by immortal_suby
[B]

Actually her younger sister (a college junior) looks almost identical to her but, unfortunately, has the brain of a gnat.

Uhhh...does she have an unattached Mom? Brain size unimportant to me.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.