Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Re: Thinking of building a engine dyno.

Lastest pic, its all coming together. Still a few challanges.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0684.JPG (169.6 KB, 163 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Adam I was wonder about that way, the only thing I thought was that the transmission side of the torque converter may have a support bearing.

Does anyone know if it does? Would a gutted torque converter hang on the flex plate?

Tony

worked just fine for me. i made up an engine run/test stand using an 4eat diff housing and gutted TC when i was testing the Eg33's as drivetrain options for the 962 kit cars.. I balanced the TC after cutting it though. There's hardly any weight to it once it's all cleaned out, probably less than that of a bare Sti flywheel.

Other option is to use an Sti six speed front diff housing and a regular FW and manual starter motor. diff housing on that tranny remarkably similar to 4eat,
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Registered SVX

Guys like me are keeping up here, great to see the teamwork and the success
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 AM

Re: Building an engine dyno.

Getting closer to the finish of the construction, engine mounted, got the ring gear sorted for the starter. I need to mount the starter and finish the tail shaft connection to the engine.

Then its fuel pump intake MAF and wiring, every step completed is closer to the end.

Have a great day. Here is the latest pic.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0684.JPG (230.4 KB, 155 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Must say, I'm mighty impressed
Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks Adam I really appricate your comments.
Tony
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 AM

Registered SVX

Looks good Tony...keen to hear you fire it up for the first time.

M
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

I was talking to someone in the know and they suggested that one of the challanges I will have is getting the dyno retarder operatiing at a load matching the engine in such a way that I can hold a constant revs. In other words if I am tuning the engine and I want it to hold say 4,000 rpm as I make the tuning changes the retarder needs to adjust to the new load.

So this leads me to the the problem of how I am going to manage this.
1st - way is to buy a off the shelf board from one of the existing Dyno builders but this will have its own set of challanges.
2nd - way is to use a PLC (programiable logic controller) write code for it to operate with a set PID. This method will give the greatest flexiability longterm but will take a bit of time and cost.
3rd - method and may be the simplist is to use the cruise controller from the half cut. Its just a matter of picking up a pulse rate simular in type and the same frequency range as the speedo then use the cable output to control the Varic dial this will change the voltage being feed to the retarder. In tern the load will be changed. As I think about this I may still be able to get flexiability to make changes to the revs at the same time by seting and resetting the cruise controler.

Now I just need to find out how many pulse per rev of the wheel. Anyone know?
Have a great day.
Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 06-24-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX

Kia ora Tony,

I do not see this as a problem and in fact even as a requirement. Having applied a set load restraining the engine to say 4,000 RPM, would you not judge alterations made in respect of tuning as being a indicated by any increase/decrease in RPM against the fixed load.? If 4,000 RPM was the exact engine speed aimed at, the load could in stages be manually adjusted as required.

As I see it holding the RPM by automatically applying throttle, would defeat any basic, direct and positively recorded result during tuning. In any event, surely it would be best to consider such a complication, only after everything basic is operating correctly with no frills.

You are chewing well after biting off a hefty challenge.

Congratulations, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Registered SVX

I feel like I should go back to english class....and take some automotive engineering classes while I am at it...

Tony, what you are doing is great for the community, and we all appreciate it very much. I wish I had more time before the reassembly of my engine so I could ship you my cams and have you run your dyno with them for some solid numbers. Too bad, but I need my car back (and I don't honestly know if I could stand any more waiting to driver her again).

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Sorry Trevor I didn't explain myself properly.

The engine throttle will be fulll load 100 % open.
Dyno adjusts so as the engine is held at constant load as its tuned. The decsion on how to adjust the engine is made on the bases of the torque measured.

The cruise unit is used to control the amount of torque the retarder can asorbe not the amount of torque supplied..

Hope that clears it up for you.
Tony
Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX

Tony,

Don't forget, if you're tuning for driveability, you would want to set every throttle point at every rev range (not just 100%), that way you can get the best result.

M
Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Good point Matt, easier to do if I can hold a constant rev by hold a varing load over all the throttle positions.

Cam I want to be able to create a list of mods that people can do to the engine that will give a given result. The type of thing that says what to do first. Once we have worked that out anybody can look it up and work out how much thay want to spend and what they get best bank for there buck.

Currently to many of the mods that I and Matt have done assume to make power, by that I mean for example porting heads and higher compression, if you use the standard intake and exhaust they may not improve your power for eanch mod. Just changing cams may have given the same benfit
Tony
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX

I am going to have an ECUtune chip in the relatively near future, along with the MAF and injectors. If you would like to work out borrowing them I am sure I could hold off on installing them for a month or so. I feel this is a very worthy cause. If you need anything, just let me know and I will do what I can, when I can.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I feel like I should go back to english class....and take some automotive engineering classes while I am at it... --------
Cam,

The guts of it --- A change in engine speed is/would be the easiest/simplest way of judging any improvement in engine power.

In tuning the engine a constant load would be applied via the retarder. (The engine would think that it was in a car steadily climbing a hill.) If the engine speed increased with the no change in throttle position/opening, this would indicate improvement. (If the car went faster without putting the foot down, something else must have happened.)

If a cruise control (or something similar based on RPM.) was operating, the car would not go any faster and all that would be obvious would be a change in throttle opening, i.e. (that is) something not so easy to measure.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!