How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-27-2003, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Davie, that was always one of my concerns when watching the commercials. How does the glue know when it is time to release the metal? I'm surprised that does not happen more often. Also I'm surprised you don't hear more about the feet on the ding king leaving dents of their own as they press against the body and push as hard on it as the middle is pulling on the dent. I guess they can always cover themselves with the "Your results may vary" tag.

I have seen the original Dingking at my local Walgreens for just $19.95. Sounds like less than some of you are paying online and might be worth a look if your looking to buy one.
More often than not the glue releases correctly without too much tightening of the wingnut. But if you gob it on, you can begin to cause yourself some problems such as breaking one of the feet or, as you say, cause indentations.
All in all, it's not a very affective design. Like I said, smaller tabs would be nice and perhaps a warning about overtightening the wingnut.

As far as Walgreens, does anyone else see a great ebay opportunity?

Last edited by DavieGravy; 01-27-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Funny... this should come up today

I spent yesterday with the dingking..... and had mixed success. While it never pulled the paint off. It does need a broader based pillar system... I had numerous dents that were pulled fine.. but, left two dents on either side.... patience is king with the dent king... It can work... but you need practice..... from my own experience..
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 01-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Same results here. I have a couple of small, circular "bulges" where I once had dents (the more expensive order did not come with a "tap down" tool, like its cheaper counterpart, but, rather came with 4 pulling tabs [large circle, small circle, large oval, small oval] and extra glue sticks). I found that the closer you move the "feet" in on the bridge, the higher pulling force you exert. From this, I learned to start moving the feet inward as the process went on. If the glue released too soon, I'd move the feet in slightly and repeat the process, until I got good adhesion and a good pull. Yes, practice and patience is the key. Unfortunately, I wasn't patient enough to learn before I began to practice.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-27-2003, 09:21 PM

I'm going to spend some more time with it before our Colorado meet. I'm actually a little embarassed over the amount of dings I have and would like to do some more.
Hey Randy, If I use your technique, do you think I'll be able to get the smaller dents out? Also, what would make a good tap down tool? A rubber mallet perhaps?
Thanks.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 01-27-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
I'm going to spend some more time with it before our Colorado meet. I'm actually a little embarassed over the amount of dings I have and would like to do some more.
Hey Randy, If I use your technique, do you think I'll be able to get the smaller dents out? Also, what would make a good tap down tool? A rubber mallet perhaps?
Thanks.

The "tap down" tool, shown with the kit, looks like it's nylon. It's shaped like a crayon (tapered to a semi-point at one end, flat on the other). I'm guessing you use a mallet to tap the tool and return the extrusion to "normal." Just a guess.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The "tap down" tool, shown with the kit, looks like it's nylon. It's shaped like a crayon (tapered to a semi-point at one end, flat on the other). I'm guessing you use a mallet to tap the tool and return the extrusion to "normal." Just a guess.
On the two "extrusions" that I made , I used it like a crayon and just rubbed them down... then I took the solvent that they included to wipe the resin or what ever it is off. Seemed to work fine and did not mar the paint.

I'm sorry I spent the whole two days cleaning and un denting this thing now.... see other thread....
Old 01-28-2003, 09:38 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

On the two "extrusions" that I made , I used it like a crayon and just rubbed them down... then I took the solvent that they included to wipe the resin or what ever it is off. Seemed to work fine and did not mar the paint.

I'm sorry I spent the whole two days cleaning and un denting this thing now.... see other thread....

I need me one of 'em tools. Saw the other thread. We're rootin' fer ya, bud! See ya at Reading.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-28-2003, 10:36 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Dingking (i love the way that sounds)

Pics added ... you might be able to see the difference... Ignore the fat old guy working on the car.... that's uncamitzi!!
Old 01-29-2003, 10:08 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Dingking (i love the way that sounds)

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
Pics added ... you might be able to see the difference... Ignore the fat old guy working on the car.... that's uncamitzi!!

I'm glad you clarified. For a moment there, I was trying to figure out why I didn't remember working on your car.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

verdict

ok now folks,

i would like to hear the verdict on the fabled "DINGKING".

is it up to expectations? would you recommend to buy it? i have a million dents inherited from the previous owner i guess from hailstones on the car. on the side and on the top and hood. wonder how it dents on the side, but ah well.

buy it? or not?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:52 PM

Re: verdict

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
ok now folks,

i would like to hear the verdict on the fabled "DINGKING".

is it up to expectations? would you recommend to buy it? i have a million dents inherited from the previous owner i guess from hailstones on the car. on the side and on the top and hood. wonder how it dents on the side, but ah well.

buy it? or not?
From my experience, the "upgraded" kit isn't worth the extra $20 or so. All they give you is an extra container of solution (useful by the way,) 1 exact copy of each of the two pulling tabs you already get with the regular kit , and tons of extra glue sticks you could never possibly use. I haven't even gone through half a stick and have spent hours on end with the thing.

Now, it was mentioned earlier in this post that a similar kit can be purchased at Walgreen for about $20. If you can get one of these, I'd say go for it, regardless of the nature of the dents on your car. For twenty dollars, you really have nothing to loose. If you have, say, golf ball sized dings or bigger, then go with the regular kit from Dingking if you can't get one at Walgreen. Otherwise, don't bother. The kit is very ineffective on typical door dings.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

thx davey

thanks davey, may you always have gravy
Old 01-30-2003, 01:28 PM

If I don't, somenone will be riding the gravy train.