Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM

New owner: Clicking sound?

I'm a new SVX owner. I just registered it on the forum: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48296

I plan on bringing it down to All We'll Drive for a full mechanical inspection and a timing belt/water pump/reseal job. It is a very clean car as you can see from my description on the link above. However, the one thing that is bothering me is the clicking sound I heard on my way home as I described it in the registration post:

<QUOTE>

Clicking sound from rear at crusing speed (?) - On the ride home I noticed a faint to moderate clicking sound (radio was off) coming from behind me. It sounded similar to the click when a cv joint is going bad. It was constant and varied in frequency with road speed. I really hope it isn't the rear diff but I haven't identified it yet. I'd appreciate it if anyone has ideas about this.

<END QUOTE>

I know what wheel bearings sound like when they go bad as I've had that happen on another car (not an SVX). I don't think it is a wheel bearing. I can't hear the sound over the radio, which is probably why the seller didn't mention it and I didn't hear it on the test drive as I was talking with the seller and paying attention to other stuff (like the wheel shimmy on hard braking). Has anyone heard of this noise before? What are the possibile causes?

On a separate topic, any reccomendation for upgraded front brake rotors and pads? I'm 99% sure that is what is causing the braking issues.

Overall I am happy with my purchase. I just want to head off any serious problems. I'd like to enjoy the car for a while before having to make major repairs.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: New owner: Clicking sound?

It may seem dumb, but have you checked for a rock stuck in your treads? The same thing used to happen to me all the time after going off road, and I would have to get under there with a flat blade screwdriver and pry them out. Just an idea....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Vote for the rock stuck in the tread.

Once while driving my SVX I suddenly noticed a loud screeching coming from the right front wheel; sounded like a worn out brake pad rubbing against the rotor. It was louder the faster I went.I know my pads were good but coldn't account for the noise.

Called a mechanic friend of mine. He said I probably picked up a "hitch hiker" (which was his term for a stone or rock). He told me to put the car in reverse and get up to about 15-20mph and slam on the brake. After I did that, the noise was gone.

He said somehow I picked up a rock and it became wedged between the caliper and the rotor. It would probably worn down in time and fallen out on its own. Going into recerse kicked the rock out.

Look for the simplest solution first.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I really wish it was a rock in the tread...

I got down under the rear with a flashlight and looked at the rear diff. There is some oil seepage on the the driver's side where the axle enters the diff. There are no drips but the plate surrounding the axle is dark, shiny and damp. The other side is bone dry.

I don't know if that is my problem, but it is reasonable to think that if there is oil leaking from the diff, then the fluid level could be low and the gears are a bit starved for lubrication. Extra friction means noise, which can also mean damage. Damage=$$$

Perhaps its the bearing on that side of the diff causing the noise and maybe the gears are fine.

At minimum, the seal on that side of the diff is starting to go.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it until my bank account recovers from the purchase and then get it serviced.

Jim
Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcentric View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I really wish it was a rock in the tread...

I got down under the rear with a flashlight and looked at the rear diff. There is some oil seepage on the the driver's side where the axle enters the diff. There are no drips but the plate surrounding the axle is dark, shiny and damp. The other side is bone dry.

I don't know if that is my problem, but it is reasonable to think that if there is oil leaking from the diff, then the fluid level could be low and the gears are a bit starved for lubrication. Extra friction means noise, which can also mean damage. Damage=$$$

Perhaps its the bearing on that side of the diff causing the noise and maybe the gears are fine.

At minimum, the seal on that side of the diff is starting to go.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it until my bank account recovers from the purchase and then get it serviced.

Jim
Why not pull the upper bolt off the rear of the diff and stick your pinky in there to check the level? You can drain and refill it easily with a quart of gear oil, which isnt expensive, and see if that eliminates the sound.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Chris,

Yes, I was thinking of changing the oil in the rear diff and seeing if there is a difference. It's worth a shot and from the look of things I'll bet the oil has never been changed. I dont think the rear end has been touched since the factory.

I checked the boots on the axles too and they are all intact and look good. It could be one of the axles, but I think I'd have some driveablity/handling issues if it was. The car is solid & smooth on the road...which makes this issue more annoying. You never know, but I don't think it's an axle.

Do I have to drop the diff to replace those seals where the axles enter the diff or can I do it on the car?

I'll let you know if the gear oil change has any effect.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcentric View Post
Chris,

Do I have to drop the diff to replace those seals where the axles enter the diff or can I do it on the car?

Thanks,
Jim
To be honest im not entirely sure, I havent had to do this on mine yet. If you just do the side thats leaking im sure it would be easier just to pull that sides drive-axle.....

If you click on the link in my signature for the service manual, it shows an exploded diagram of the axle and seals. I would actually download it while you still can, the link is at the bottom of the page now.