Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-22-2002, 02:37 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
rock + windshield =anything i can do other than replace?

Well a rock finally met my windshield, left a small chip and a couple small rough spots on my windshield. Is there anything I can do to make it better other than replace the windshield?

It could have been worse, My cousin took a rock on the same highway in the Lexus, and the one inch crack, spread it self to half the windshield in the span of 3 days due to the excessive heat 100+ weather.
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 07-22-2002, 03:04 PM
oneothefewproud

Henry,

Down here in LA you can call a windshield fix it guy. They have this stuff that is put into the chip or crack that seals it up. And sometimes you cant even tell you ever had it. But get it down before the chip starts to run. Then the only thing to do is replacement.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 07-22-2002, 03:42 PM
billisa

repair soon

There is also a do it yourself kit, similar I believe to the stuff the repair people use. Just don't wait too long. Do you not have full glass coverage on your insurance?
Old 07-22-2002, 03:45 PM
billisa

Actually...

In rereading your post, it seems as though there's no crack? If so, and you're just dealing with a small chip then you are not in as big a rush.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:16 PM
punisher

We had a crack on the bottom of our windshield that progessively got bigger and bigger over the years. We treated it every year with something made to prevent the crack from getting worse and such. We didn't have a problem passing state inspections (since it was along the bottom of the windshield, not obstructing vission) until this year when the mechanic finally said it was too big a crack for him to pass (by that time it was covering about half the length of the windshield). I think 4 years with a crack is a pretty decent amount of time.

If it doesnt obstruct your view, just have it treated and then replace the windshield whenever you feel it is necessary.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:17 PM

call your insurance agent. In Fla State Farm, & maybe others, repairs/replaces windshield damage with no deductable and no charge against you as a "bad" driver.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:39 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
thanks for the response!

Thanks for the response! I'm actually down in socal right now, oneofthefewproud, do you have a specific place in mind?

No it isnt a crack, just a couple of chips and rough spots; the rock skipped over my windshield like it was the surface of a lake!
The chip is pretty small, its the rough spots(like i took a rock and grinded my windshield) that reall bother me.

Unfortunately, my insurance is pretty basic at the moment(california minimum), I'm pretty been on life support in terms of cash flow ever since I got into college. Basically I was a poor college student who fell in love with an svx when I saw my first one ever on the car lot.

Now that I've just graduated with a shiny UCLA CS degree, my job search is on hold due to a family medical emergency. It was comign back down here for the emergency, that I happened to be at the wrong place at the right time.
http://www.svxwrx.com