IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
There is no charge for Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Chuckles
Registered SVX
Random Coolant leak?

Hi All...

So I have this issue, and I'm no mechanic. so I'm trying to figure this one out. I have to fill my coolant more and more lately (I drive this car once a week, so I fill once a month), but it never leaks consistently(I replace maybe a gallon every two months). It is really strange to me. here are my symptoms:

1.) I have to fill it but somehow the overflow doesn't really drain as fast as the Radiator. (maybe leaks when it is off?)
2.) The upper and lower RAD hoses are fine
3.) The fluid builds up on the passengers side of the engine, not in the front but towards it.
4.) My oil is clean but I use royal purple so maybe I can't tell if there is coolant there.
5.) supposedly a mechanic pressure tested my system and said it was the cap. which was replaced then.
6.) I do have dry steamed coolant build-up around the new 13 psi cap
7.) It only leaks when the car is warm, and even then, you need to park it for at least 5-10 minutes to see a dollar width puddle. I do notice leakage in the morning, but it might be excess from the skid plate.

I don't get it.... I just don't get it at all. I thought the water pump was in the front toward the drivers side, I haven't checked it because it is cold outside and I'd like to get a little input before I tear apart things twice. could this be my head gasket? I have never heard of a gasket going at 112k except in American Cars, but I wonder? I am also suspecting the water pump might need repair.
I was under the car four months ago with a mechanic buddy of mine, and we didn't see any leakage from the gaskets. The military moved us to New Jersey so I can't drive down to his lift and check it out. so I ask you fine folks, WHAT is going on here?

Thanks

Jason
Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Random Coolant leak?

As far as head gaskets go... ive seen brand new imports with leaky head gaskets ( ala massive toyota 3vze campaign starting in 88 ). It just depends on how the previous owner treated it. If it overheats severely, headgaskets blow. Maybe it developed a coolant leak and they didnt find it until they overheated it? Leaking more coolant warm is normal, since thats when the cooling system has most pressure. The thing with dried up coolant around the cap though is suspect. Unless its a bad cap gasket, your cooling system is becoming overpressurized, POSSIBLY by piston compression through a bad headgasket. One thing you can do thats way easy is buy whats called a "block tester kit" (I used these when i was a service manager to diag headgaskets). It consists of a tube and rubber stopper, you fill the tube with this blue fluid they give you and push the rubber stopper onto your radiator cap hole, start the car, and you will see air bubbles rise up through the fluid. If it turns yellow from reacting to exhaust gasses, its a head gasket leak. Head gaskets can also leak outwards, but id check extensively with a flashlight and telescoping mirror to make sure its not just dripping from a bypass hose or something. I have the same problem but mine is definitely from the water pump and stops leaking when it warms up lol

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 PM

I would check your radiator hoses and clamps. I found a small loss of coolant in my Legacy - it was seeping from where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Sounds like the same problem I started with in my Claret, which turned out to be HG.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Registered SVX

I spoke to a shady Mechanic today... he told me that if exhaust gases were getting into my radiator I'd know because it would gurgle when running. It would also overheat the engine, or atleast the temp guage would not be spot on. Both are untrue, My temp is perfect and becomes so after about 5 minutes, and even with the engine running and the cap off, the gurgle never happens.

Also my radiator reservoir does not empty nearly as fast as my radiator does, which he said was due to a lack of pressure in the system. The Mechanic whom tested my Rad in MI was apparently lying. Also the shop owner said that around 112k the water pump often needs replacing as well, so it is probably not leaking from where I think it is, and is just being carried off to the side by the plastic timing belt cover and skid plate.

None of this is actually concrete though, since my car is not drivable right now because I was tinting the tail lights 35% and thus there are none on the car.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Well id think twice before going back to these guys....... especially since they tell you "oh water pumps go out at 112k anyways" lol. A HG problem will only "gurgle" out of the radiator if its severely leaking..... otherwise you wont notice any change..... that what block tester kits are for. If it WERE leaking from your WP, itd be obvious since the housing hangs at the bottom of the engine and also has a weep hole. Nothing beats your own visual inspection to find out where the problem really lies..... especially a few grease monkeys who want in your pockets.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Ever wonder why the stupidest people on the face of the earth with no ability to find any logic in their make up end up as automobile mechanics? Any fool that looks can see the waterpump hanging out the bottom of the front of the engine.

Actually it just seems like that. In reality, you are fortunate if you can find anyone... anyplace... that is capable of doing anything that will actually have any logical thinking ability. Like to know why??

Take time to analyze one of my information web sites. Do yourself and your loved ones the biggest favor of your life!

http://ourlifeline.net/andbabymakes3.htm

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 01-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Ever wonder why the stupidest people on the face of the earth with no ability to find any logic in their make up end up as automobile mechanics? Any fool that looks can see the waterpump hanging out the bottom of the front of the engine.

Actually it just seems like that. In reality, you are fortunate if you can find anyone... anyplace... that is capable of doing anything that will actually have any logical thinking ability. Like to know why??

Take time to analyze one of my information web sites. Do yourself and your loved ones the biggest favor of your life!

http://ourlifeline.net/andbabymakes3.htm

Keith
The heat from your post has singed my eyeballs, whens the wedding between you and all the auto mechanics

Old 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
The heat from your post has singed my eyeballs, whens the wedding between you and all the auto mechanics
Almost as though we are already married!

60 years and never found one anyplace that did anything to help me was my clue.

Keith
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Hi there,
Have you had a look at your radiator's hot end tank for leaks? They quite often get a crack at the front of the hot end tank just two inches below the top radiator hose fitting. The cracks can leak sometimes and not other times so have a careful look and try it hot and cold. The plastic tanks can also develop small leaks around the join between tank and fins.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

You know that you are not far from the boys at http://www.allwelldrive.net/ Give them a shout/pm/email and drive your car over there. Well worth the trip. I drive 2 hrs to get there every time I need work done. ( I should get a discount for all the people I refer to them)
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM

Registered SVX

It seems that when I pop the cap on the radiator and it is running, it pours out even when cold. it also gets a little foamy. I fear the worst... I really don't have the money for this, but I LOVE this car. I actually feel like I'm going to throw up just thinking about it. maybe the attachment was unhealthy, but her and I just click. cruising down the highway, cool wind in my hair, sticking my hand out the sunroof and the looks at stop lights. I feel like my best friend has cancer. WTF is wrong with me, it that normal?

92' Subaru SVX LS-L Claret http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3214312 for the pics and stuff
Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Well, mine does that too, the part about pouring out when its running. Its the foamy appearance thats suspect. Air in your cooling system from the leak itself will do that too so dont give up on it yet. Call around about that block tester kit, and test it as soon as the coolant stops coming out of the top ( t doesnt work when mixed w coolant).

Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

YT is an hour and 10 mins away, he will be able to help you. Should major repairs be required.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
It seems that when I pop the cap on the radiator and it is running, it pours out even when cold. it also gets a little foamy. I fear the worst... I really don't have the money for this, but I LOVE this car. I actually feel like I'm going to throw up just thinking about it. maybe the attachment was unhealthy, but her and I just click. cruising down the highway, cool wind in my hair, sticking my hand out the sunroof and the looks at stop lights. I feel like my best friend has cancer. WTF is wrong with me, it that normal?
Well if that means there's something wrong then we're in the same boat. Last year I though my trans was in trouble (turned out my hack-job exhaust was knocking against the cross-member) I spent two days just about throwing up. I actually have nightmares about things going wrong with my car.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl