How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Registered SVX
Help...Dead Transmission

What are my transmission options? I have read a few of the posts but was wondering what were the best.

Here is my situation. I purchased my 1992 SVX December 26th, 2008. I had budgeted for having to fix my transmission since the car has 120K and the two owners previous had only done transmission fluid change and flushes (one each). I just hadn't planned on doing it in less than two weeks. Car drove great until yesterday. It stared reving high in drive. Was going to take it to Subaru to see if a band adjustment would fix problem short term. Drove it to church this morning with the wife and kids and couldn't get out of the neighborhood till it started acting like it was in neutral. Will drive OK in 1st and 2nd. 3rd is OK at best. Drive is nonexistent.

I have already ordered (its in the mail) a B&M external transmission oil cooler and was going to order an extra filter to install ( I was also planning on replacing the oil filter inside the tranny this weekend).

Sooooo...what do you guys think? My shop has said they will swap a tranny for me for $400.00. I found a Subaru dealer rebuilt (same trans as the one I now have) with low miles for $600.00. So this keeps me at a $1000.00 (I have to drive a ways to get it). Or do I use a different transmission altogether? Which transmissions do you recommend that are straight swaps and which are the ones that I need to use other parts for (differential, fabrication and the like.

I am trying to stay around a $1000.00 but can go higher if need be.

Thanks in advance for all your input. You guys have been fantastic and have already helped me a bunch. I love this car and plan on keeping it for a long time.

Gary
Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Help...Dead Transmission

Call YT or OT and see if they have a 4.44 for you, that be the way Id go if I was in your shoes, or maybe even a 5 speed even better. Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 AM

I'd want to know more about that $600 Suby reman (How many miles? Warranty? Out of a wreck?), but if I could get a proper low-mileage SVX transmission installed for a grand, that's what I'd do.

dcb
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'd go with a 4.44 transmission. They are a little more than a rebuild but totally worth it in my opinion... Can get one at about 100k miles for around the area of $1000.00 I believe..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I'd go with a 4.44 transmission. They are a little more than a rebuild but totally worth it in my opinion... Can get one at about 100k miles for around the area of $1000.00 I believe..
Wow, around here you could get a trans and rear end with 100k for $5 or $600.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Wow, around here you could get a trans and rear end with 100k for $5 or $600.
A 4.44? Lucky...
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

ehh, idk about 4.44s. Forgot those are harder to find.... my bad
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

if you can get a recent subaru reman for $600 jump on it. The solenoids and torque converter are worth that much. If you want to send me the valve body I can redo it for you to speed up shifts and increase torque carying capacity.

Last edited by longassname; 01-05-2009 at 04:55 PM.