IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 08:19 PM
EverclearAtMSU

i say 5 speed it
Old 07-09-2002, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You make it sound so easy. Don't you have to unweld parts of the exhaust or something? And how high are your jackstands? I don't think my jack will even get that high let alone the jackstands.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Cube - I pulled my tranny on saturday and put a rebuild back in on sunday. I did it with the svx on jackstands in my 1 car garage. The only other tranny I've ever pulled was on an '84 blazer - I think my 2 cats could pull one of those if they'd stop fighting long enough.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Nick

There is an access port on the passenger side of the engine where it bolts to the tranny. The port is where you unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter. Can you see if anything is messed up down there?

Good luck!

Todd
Old 07-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Hey Nick

You could also look from the underside where the tranny and engine meet. There is a small open area that you can see the flexplate where it meets the TC. If the flexplate is damaged you should be able to see it.

From all the descriptions, it does sound worse than a flexplate though, sadly

Immortal is right. If you had a replacement unit ready, the swap can be done in a long day. You may need some exhaust bolts/studs though as some/all will break off during the process. Also, if you are going to do it, buy some tall heavy duty jackstands. You have to put the front of the car pretty far into the air to make it happen. Also, the words of advice to rent a tranny jack are right on. You'll need one to make this happen on the removal and installation ends.

Good luck...my car is longing for some '93 company at the meet...

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
There is an access port on the passenger side of the engine where it bolts to the tranny. The port is where you unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter. Can you see if anything is messed up down there?

Good luck!

Todd

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 07-10-2002, 07:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Hey Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevebsy
From all the descriptions, it does sound worse than a flexplate though, sadly
Beav, what do you think about this? Am I nuts to think that getting a flexplate (if I can in time) and installing it are going to cure my problems? If the broken flexplate doesn't explain all of my symptoms, then there's no point in trying to get this done. I simply can't get a tranny in time. Even if there's one less than a week away, I don't think I can afford it right now.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: Re: Hey Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Beav, what do you think about this? Am I nuts to think that getting a flexplate (if I can in time) and installing it are going to cure my problems? If the broken flexplate doesn't explain all of my symptoms, then there's no point in trying to get this done. I simply can't get a tranny in time. Even if there's one less than a week away, I don't think I can afford it right now.
Nick,

Wendy and I were talking last night after I determined one of my new head gaskets was dented around the cylinder about what would happen if I can't get the engine done in time (BTW waiting on another head gasket to be delivered on Friday). Maybe we could make a Frankenstein SVX using my trans in your car. I could easily have mine removed in an hour or so if I can't get the engine done. That way at least PART of my car could make it to the meet.
I'm taking off the other head this evening and I'll see if there is anything catastrophic once it's removed. The other thing I can offer is parts from my wrecked SVX. Though it's not currently at my house, I need to make arrangments to get it hauled to my house for dismantling. We might be able to make something work that way as well. Just some possible options.

Todd
Old 07-10-2002, 09:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Nick

Quote:

Nick,

Wendy and I were talking last night after I determined one of my new head gaskets was dented around the cylinder about what would happen if I can't get the engine done in time (BTW waiting on another head gasket to be delivered on Friday). Maybe we could make a Frankenstein SVX using my trans in your car. I could easily have mine removed in an hour or so if I can't get the engine done. That way at least PART of my car could make it to the meet.
I'm taking off the other head this evening and I'll see if there is anything catastrophic once it's removed. The other thing I can offer is parts from my wrecked SVX. Though it's not currently at my house, I need to make arrangments to get it hauled to my house for dismantling. We might be able to make something work that way as well. Just some possible options.

Todd
Jeez, Todd - I don't even know what to say. Holy cow, even if nothing works out, thanks for the thought!

Obviously I know that the above are only possibilities, but so many questions come up...

What's the status of the transmission in the wrecked car? How many miles are on it? How long has it been sitting like that?

If you really had a transmission to swap into my car, would it be easier to bring the transmission to the car or vice versa?

Man, I'm sorry that one of your head gaskets is bad. How'd the old one look? Did you find any obvious damage yet?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-10-2002 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

PM'd you Nick. Call me after 1:30 at the number in the PM.

Todd
Old 07-10-2002, 09:59 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
PM'd you Nick. Call me after 1:30 at the number in the PM.

Todd
Thanks for letting me know - I wouldn't notice it until after Lafayette.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It's the noise that throws me. It's fairly atypical. Harvey made a good point though, and I guess I was trying to see some sort of a silver lining. I'm just a little leery of condemning something so expensive from this distance, I suppose.

Either way, the transmission would have to come out. If not the flexplate, I'd be replacing the entire tranny, given it's mileage. Even if it hadn't been a problem in the past, the seals, o-rings and friction material are bound to be close to the end of their useful lives.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I'm surging more and more during shifting between 2 and 3 and at 180k, I'm seriously considering a rebuild from *gasp* AAMCO. I know the horror stories, but KC area subaru dealers haven't exactly had a great reputation with the SVX either and with the tranny price gouging we seen in the past, I wouldn't put it pass them to try and sell me a $4000 tranny job.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Even if it hadn't been a problem in the past, the seals, o-rings and friction material are bound to be close to the end of their useful lives.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:50 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
I'm surging more and more during shifting between 2 and 3 and at 180k, I'm seriously considering a rebuild from *gasp* AAMCO. I know the horror stories, but KC area subaru dealers haven't exactly had a great reputation with the SVX either and with the tranny price gouging we seen in the past, I wouldn't put it pass them to try and sell me a $4000 tranny job.

KuoH

What kind of pisses me off is that I have never had any surging or slipping - mine just up and died in ten seconds...if it is the transmission...and it looks like it probably is...or at least SHOULD be...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-10-2002, 03:34 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
That horrible noise

Your problem sounds similar to when my transmission went. I was just driving along and then there was that sound, every time the engine revved. I managed to limp to a friend's house and had it towed to my local friendly Subaru dealer. Diagnosis: Blown front differential. $2,000 to rebuild for $2,700 for a whole new tranny. Since my AWD was shot I got the tranny and it was happy motoring after that. Still paying it off even tho I don't have the car anymore

It doesn't sounds good, but anything is possible!

Jeff
Old 07-10-2002, 03:53 PM

I, like EveryShadeofBlue, had the front diiferential fail. Easiest way to eliminate that problem would be to note one difference. Does it make the noise when in park or neutral, or does it make the noise only while moving/attempting to move. If it's silent while in park, but noisy when in gear, moving or not, then I would suspect the inside of the differential is toast. But of course that still means the tranny has to be pulled.

Also, I have heard (don't know myself) about some shaft breakage that can sometimes be repaired without tranny removal. Can anybody confirm and/or say what those symptoms would be?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I, like EveryShadeofBlue, had the front diiferential fail. Easiest way to eliminate that problem would be to note one difference. Does it make the noise when in park or neutral, or does it make the noise only while moving/attempting to move. If it's silent while in park, but noisy when in gear, moving or not, then I would suspect the inside of the differential is toast. But of course that still means the tranny has to be pulled.

Also, I have heard (don't know myself) about some shaft breakage that can sometimes be repaired without tranny removal. Can anybody confirm and/or say what those symptoms would be?
I get clattering and whirring noises whether the car is in motion or standing still, in gear or in neutral.

A broken front diff would explain how far forward the noises seem to come from.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE