IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Re: the ugly wood dash is killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post
I think that the wood-wanna-be trimming used in our SVXes is ugly and cheap as well.
The only example I've seen was on my father's '95 SVX, I can only imagine how nasty the one on the '92 models that you guys are mentioning can look.

Fortunately mine came without wood-wanna-be trimming, I like the clean, plain look much better.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck was going through the minds of the people responsible for certain SVX choices. Was it supposed to be Subaru's answer to Supras, 3000GTs, 300ZXs and RX7s? If yes, why in the world did they choose AT over MT? Was it supposed to be a sports car or a luxury car? I love my torquey flat-6, beautiful piece of engineering (especially the non-interference part ) but why didn't they offer any forced induction option?

I love SVXs but when I think of the quantity of owners (including myself) that have to make substantial changes to truly appreciate them I wonder whether it's fair to say that Subaru has made some very stupid choices for our cars. Something to think about, no?

-Walter
wat i honestly think they tried to do was make it the "most luxurious" of all the competition, prolly for more of the older aged consumers who like the 3000gt and rx7, but dont want to bother being cramped and playing with a silly stick to make the car go. they figured that the consumer would rather sit back relax, and slam the gas pedal down for an amusing growl once and a while.. all in the while of lookng at some "classy" wood finish and decide wether they want their wipers hidden or not :P
Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
but I'll never understand what motivates those who persist in trying to make this car into something it's not.
dcb: I hear your points, but those people probably love the look, love the overall quality, the EG33 and more.

The AT part is what I'd really choke the members of that deciding Team over at Subaru Corp in the late 80s for. The only reason I bought it (despising AT so much) is because I stumbled across a clean one, my Father had just gotten his and I had the swap in mind anyways.

Make no mistake here, we're (I'm) not talking about power mods or appearance touches (which I define as personalization), we're (I'm) mostly talking about an important drivetrain option which these cars were never offered with, an option that people (especially outside of the US) wanted!

Bottom line is: there are aspects of our cars that are so well designed that can make a potential purchaser overlook other things. The numbers speak for themselves: there are numerous SVXs converted to MT out there and there would be even more if the process was simpler and more affordable.

Didn't Subaru actually lose a few thousand dollars for each SVX sold? I understand they wanted to introduce a semi-luxurious model to prove to the world they could produce such vehicles, but I am almost certain that with a nice MT and (why not) mild Forced Induction (although the NA EG33 is a great motor) they probably would have made it out even, or even made a bit of profit off of them.

-Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)

Last edited by Treppiede; 06-20-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

If I understood what the book "Where the Suckers Moon" said, Subaru didn't have the financial means to develop an SVX unique transmission and used what was available off the shelf. An auto was their only choice for the torque. Regarding the plastic wood, the later models with the lighter wood and tan leather are quite handsome. Really defines the car as a luxurary tourer, not a sports car ricer. Nothing wrong with that market segment and why I bought a '94 to start with. The '92 does leave a lot to be desired. At least my '92 hasn't turned purple yet.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 06-20-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Cool Re: the ugly wood dash is killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
If I understood what the book "Where the Suckers Moon" said, Subaru didn't have the financial means to develop an SVX unique transmission and used what was available off the shelf. An auto was their only choice for the torque. Regarding the plastic wood, the later models with the lighter wood and tan leather are quite handsome. Really defines the car as a luxurary tourer, not a sports car ricer. Nothing wrong with that market segment and why I bought a '94 to start with. The '92 does leave a lot to be desired. At least my '92 hasn't turned purple yet.
Gene
mine did lol 155.JPG
Old 06-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Wow! Nice car man. I'll can't wait to see what your solution is.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post
dcb:
Make no mistake here, we're (I'm) not talking about power mods or appearance touches (which I define as personalization), we're (I'm) mostly talking about an important drivetrain option which these cars were never offered with, an option that people (especially outside of the US) wanted!
Honestly, I would prefer a manual transmission simply because my cars are old, I rely on them daily, and manuals generally don't give up without warning and leave you walking, the way automatics can. Still, I'll never be a candidate for such a transplant (nor a 4.11, 4.44, or whatever). I like the fact that my cars are pretty much as they came from the factory, in spite of the dopey fake wood. If ever there is a collector's market for these things, the few unadulterated examples left will certainly be the most valuable.

I don't buy the premise that Subaru used an automatic due to the unavailability of a sufficiently beefy manual. They wanted to showcase a new transmission that at the time a unique piece of work, and I suspect they also misread the sport/luxury market, which really didn't even exist back then. (Automatic=Upscale.) Had the SVX sold in sufficient numbers to be profitable I'll bet they would have read customer and dealer feedback, made some engineering changes, and introduced an MT by 1994 or '95.

dcb
Old 06-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
mine did lol Attachment 10896
You should at least get the wheels on right.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 AM

what about using factory exterior colors and brush painting that on? I was thinking pearl white would look awesome in place of my 92' crappy woodgrain. Then you wouldn't have to remove all the parts?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

For everybody complaining about the auto. Remember nearly 1/2 of all Vettes are autos.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

The only thing that's kept me from pulling all my wood dash pieces and painting them semi-gloss black is knowing there's no way to paint the A/C surround and end up with factory quality, back-lit text.

I don't totally hate the wood, but I'm really not a fan. Especially since it's plastic. When it was new, perhaps it looked like real wood, but over the years mine's faded enough to look fake. Or maybe it's just always looked that way.

Shame on Subaru! I bet for just a hundred bucks or so more in build cost, they could have put real wood in the car and actually up-classed the interior. For a car that MSRP'd for $33k in 1992, real wood should have been included!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

For the lettering, you can use a label maker with white on clear or black tape. It's clean and professional looking.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
For the lettering, you can use a label maker with white on clear or black tape. It's clean and professional looking.
But doesn't back light when the dash lights come on.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

My woodgrain is flat black and you can still read the a/c. But it needs redone as it has a hole in it.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
My woodgrain is flat black and you can still read the a/c. But it needs redone as it has a hole in it.
Got any pictures of it? I'm curious to see how it turns out if you paint it.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Sure, here's the only pic i could find though. You can see the hole under the HIGH button.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress