Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Question on increasing Compression

I need some advise,
People say that if you raise the compression on the a SVX engine above 12:1 you need to use special fuel. What I don't unerstand is that turbo & SC must have the same effect and you don't need special fuel for them. If I operate my SC with 6# boast then what is the final compression that the engine is operating at.
Any help in understanding this would be greatly appricated.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Answer stoled from online:

Quote:
The difference is the total air/fuel mixture is much greater with super/turbo charging. High compression alone has far less mixture to work with. Lower compression supercharged engines still have very high compression (with the pressurized induction) and a lot bigger charge in the cylinder. Don't confused compression ratio and total charge available under high pressure.
The limited a/f mixture of Hi comp requires higher grade fuel because knock is increased a great deal. /guess

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 10-17-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I need some advise,
People say that if you raise the compression on the a SVX engine above 12:1 you need to use special fuel. What I don't unerstand is that turbo & SC must have the same effect and you don't need special fuel for them. If I operate my SC with 6# boast then what is the final compression that the engine is operating at.
Any help in understanding this would be greatly appricated.
Tony
Tony, I can't give you the numbers on this because I'm not an engineer, but I can give you an outline of the problem.

As a general rule for naturally aspirated engines higher compression engines are usually in a higher state of tune. This is generally true, but not universally true. CR in the EG33 is relatively high at 10 to 1, moderate to high specific output [hp per litre, say] CR in my Honda Blackbird is 11.0 to 1, pretty high, and high output. However the Gasoline Direct Injection 1.8 engine in my Mitsubishi is lean burn technology, CR is 11.7 to 1, very high, but moderate output. The exception that proves the rule

Generally though higher compression engines are more efficient.

The downside of higher compression engines is that they can overheat the fuel mix by compression alone which causes localised detonation in the cylinder before the spark goes off. We call this pinking or pre-detonation. When it happens it creates fierce heat and pressure in the cylinder, as the exploding mix is trying to force the piston back before it gets to top dead centre and spark ignition. Pistons can burn a hole through if it is bad enough.

Engine management detects the "knock" of these explosions via the knock sensor and works to offset them by retarding the ignition, which overfuels and cools the mix.

Better quality fuel resists detonation better, so higher CR engines often are tuned for best petrol.

In the case of a pressurised, turbo'd or blown engine, the pump does force extra mixture into the cylinder and increases the pressure in the cylinder mix. This adds to the chance that the mixture will pre-ignite. To compensate for this fact the engine builders leave more headroom in the engine for the bigger volume of mixture that will be forced in. This means these turbo or SC engines are designed with a lower CR of maybe around 8 to 1, in order to avoid pinking when the turbo spools up and adds the extra 6 or 16 lbs, whatever pressure it is designed to work at.

This also implies that if you force feed your 10 to 1 EG33 with 6 lbs of boost and extra mixture, the in-cylinder pressures are going to be a lot higher than standard, pinking [pre-detonation] will be happening and your engine management system will be detecting it and compensating by retarding the ignition.

Consequently unless you can keep the incoming pressurised charge cool enough not to pre-detonate, your power gained will be reduced by the engine management system making your timing retard all the time. This will mean you won't be seeing the amount of power you should be seeing for the amount of boost pressure you are adding to the cylinders.

Phew!! That was long winded.

Anything there you did not know, or that will help you?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX
Excellent write up Joe, and it will be appreciated. However with due respect, I would not agree with ---“Consequently unless you can keep the incoming pressurised charge cool enough not to pre-detonate”.

A cooler charge will in fact have greater density. I think you may have become confused as a result of the water injection stuff, expounded by the late Automotive Engineer. Young Tom can provide you with the real oil.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Excellent write up Joe, and it will be appreciated. However with due respect, I would not agree with ---“Consequently unless you can keep the incoming pressurised charge cool enough not to pre-detonate”.

A cooler charge will in fact have greater density. I think you may have become confused as a result of the water injection stuff, expounded by the late Automotive Engineer. Young Tom can provide you with the real oil.
It's not often I do, but I beg to differ with you, this time, Trevor.
A cooler intake charge is less susceptible to detonation than a warmer one. This is because the charge cools the combustion chamber slightly as it enters, as well as it will carry more fuel. Threby increasing the cooling capacity of the charge.
The reason it carries more fuel is, that the ECU will see the denser charge as more air, and compensate accordingly.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

I am ever open to enlightenment Trevor

I see incoming charge temperature as the bad boy here, with charge density as an also ran at least in problem stakes.

Either a heat exchanging intercooler or the latent heat extraction factor that water or methanol injection and subsequent evapouration will supply, both of these mechanisms cool the incoming charge so that the mixture is less likely to pre-detonate in the last milliseconds before top dead centre. They also in cooling the charge make it denser of course, and more oxygen equals more potential power extracted.

As I see it all the oxygen you might think you could cram in there using 50 psi is no good for producing power if the mixture is so hot it explodes before the ignition spark pulls the trigger.

Where do you see confusion in my thinking??

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
The reason it carries more fuel is, that the ECU will see the denser charge as more air, and compensate accordingly.
Crazy, I'm not sure that last statement is logical.

In the case of the SVX at any rate, the ECU uses the MAF to measure charge volume ingested. The speed of the air passing the maf gives an approximation of the volume of air being used.

As the cooling happens after the intercooler in one case, and in the intake manifold or even the cylinder with injection, the ECU has no way of monitoring this charge density, only the volume of charge passing the MAF. So no matter how cool/dense you make it after the MAF, the ECU has no way to see that, or react to it.

If it's not cooled and creates detonation of course, the ECU gets signals from the knock sensors, and can react to and compensate for that all right. And by adding more fuel to cool things down.

It's possible your statement might be correct for the MAP sensor that Impreza turbos use, but I have no familiarity with them.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-17-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
THat's what I was basing my statements on, My only boosted engine was a Ford, with no MAF, only a MAP.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
THat's what I was basing my statements on, My only boosted engine was a Ford, with no MAF, only a MAP.
Then it's probably correct as it would be measuring things after the intercooler.

I get the impression that the MAP sensor is a better way of keeping an eye on charge than the MAF is for turbo engines.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 AM

Thanks guys it all sounds good, if the SC guys are having to put better head bolts to keep the heads on, then engine they have to be getting major CR. I will do a little research because 6# boast means more air in a give space. Anyone know what amount of air it would be.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 AM

A late thought a boasted engine has the air entering under pressure a NA engine the air enters under vacum. Okay that what the hell difference does that make to what we are saying. Does fuel detenate under vacum sooner then under pressure?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 AM

Normal air pressure is 14.7# per sq in, if the guy with the SC go to 16# and don't change the pistons then they are running at 20:1. NOW I see why they can't keep the heads from leaking. Does this make sense or have I lost myself.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 AM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=svxistentialist;501773]I am ever open to enlightenment Trevor

---------- it explodes before the ignition spark pulls the trigger.

Where do you see confusion in my thinking??

Joe[/QUOTE

Joe,

Within your posts I now understand that you are confusing two distinct issues, detonation and pre-ignition.

You have stated:-

“causes localised detonation in the cylinder before the spark goes off. We call this pinking or pre-detonation.”

“This adds to the chance that the mixture will pre-ignite.”

“ pinking [pre-detonation] will be happening and your engine management system will be detecting it and compensating by retarding the ignition.”

“pinking [pre-detonation] will be happening and your engine management system will be detecting it and compensating by retarding the ignition.”

“charge cool enough not to pre-detonate,”

What you have described is properly termed pre-ignition and pinking is the commonly used term for the outcome.

N.B. Detonation is a separate issue and occurs after ignition.

I now understand that you were incorrectly referring to a situation where detonation is in fact the problem.

Rather than become involved in a lengthy debate, I have co-opted Google and found this brief explanation:-

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...ion/Page_2.php

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hi Trevor

That is very informative, and thank you

My descriptions used terminology that does not agree/match with what is commonly used by engine people to describe the phenomena. Well, I did say at the start I am not an engineer.

Essentially I was describing and dealing with pre-ignition detonation only.

Rather strangely, the term detonation in the Google article is restricted to spontaneous detonation that happens after the spark has fired. Almost as if what the spark had already triggered off a fraction earlier was not a detonation at all!!

In my defense I can only say that these terms are incorrect and imprecise use of English, even if they are understood by engineers.

The word "preignition" refers to a state or to a time. It does not describe an event, which is the process of spontaneous detonation I was describing.

Likewise the term "detonation" as used in that article would be more correctly described as post-ignition spontaneous detonation.

Rant/

Thank you for pulling up the article, I will study it carefully.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have oil?? I will agree that a denser charge is less likely to detonate. BUT only if the amount of air stays equal. For exampel a turbo car runs no itnercooler making 14psi of boost. An intercooler is added and he continues to make 14psi because of his wastegate adjustment. The denser charge is like running twice the boost so it has to be done in respect to the limitations. If you were detonating on 6 psi so lowered it 14.... You are going to more than likely detonate on 14 now and lower the boost pressures would be recomended. Thats how I see it and if I am wrong, please do correct me

Tom