Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 08-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that you don't have the tool to hold the sprocket while you hit the bolt. Do you have a large strap wrench maybe? Maybe you can stick something through the pulley and against something else? I have the factory sprocket tool so I don't know the tricks to avoid using one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Standard - thanks,
My 1/2 inch impact must be a piece of junk. I can't budge it. It is from one of those $100 box-o-impact tools bargain packs.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that you don't have the tool to hold the sprocket while you hit the bolt. Do you have a large strap wrench maybe? Maybe you can stick something through the pulley and against something else? I have the factory sprocket tool so I don't know the tricks to avoid using one.
I have a tool I made out of a 1/2 inch breaker bar that mimics the factory sprocket tool. I bent it. It had always worked before. I also mauled a strap wrench. I need to buy a decent impact gun. Maybe sitting for a couple years has allowed some rust to form in there or something.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Pull off the cam cover, there are wrench flats on the cam shaft that you can use to hold it still.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Just some dude.

he's right, that aught to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Pull off the cam cover, there are wrench flats on the cam shaft that you can use to hold it still.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Just some dude.

wow. I have a magnesium twin hammer and it's rediculously fast. I only use it in reverse but I've never run into anything it can't undo and the speed is very nice for dissassembly.

Quote:
I have a tool I made out of a 1/2 inch breaker bar that mimics the factory sprocket tool. I bent it. It had always worked before. I also mauled a strap wrench. I need to buy a decent impact gun. Maybe sitting for a couple years has allowed some rust to form in there or something.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
wow. I have a magnesium twin hammer and it's rediculously fast. I only use it in reverse but I've never run into anything it can't undo and the speed is very nice for dissassembly.
Bought a 7,000 rpm 500 lb-ft twin hammer today. Got the right side off, but the left side still won't budge. I threw some PB blaster on there, will try again later. I'll try that trick with taking the valve covers off to hold the sprocket. There was no rust or any sign of anything on the bolt I took out. Must be just on there tighter than hell. If I can hold it in place with the valve cover off I'll put a 3 foot breaker bar on my 1/2 inch drive and try that too.

I got the boxes from you today and the paypal.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 08-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Bought a 7,000 rpm 500 lb-ft twin hammer today. Got the right side off, but the left side still won't budge. I threw some PB blaster on there, will try again later. I'll try that trick with taking the valve covers off to hold the sprocket. There was no rust or any sign of anything on the bolt I took out. Must be just on there tighter than hell. If I can hold it in place with the valve cover off I'll put a 3 foot breaker bar on my 1/2 inch drive and try that too.

I got the boxes from you today and the paypal.

A 500 lb-ft gun won't get it off?!? That's a bit nuts.

If you're really stuck, there's always this guy for the job:

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp-en-2916

I can't think of much that 80,000 lb-ft won't turn.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 08-30-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The really nuts part is that I was the one who put them on when I did the cam seals, and I used a torque wrench along with my homemade tool to hold them in place. There is no way there could possibly be more than 150 lbs on them or I would have broke my arm. I can't figure out why they are being so stubborn. I am kicking myself in the ass for not putting never seize on them.

I beat my cam holder tool back in to shape and even holding the cam still while the impact gun hits it I am not having any luck breaking it free. I am going to have to get creative on this one.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
The box from you showed up yesterday (Thursday). I'll have the cams coming your way by Sat.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
this is killing me

edit: I got them out!
Had to wedge an 8" by 1/2" piece of steel with a bolt through it between the cam pulley spoke and the power steering idler pulley mount to get it to hold in place while leaning on a 4 foot pipe over a 1/2" breaker bar and standing on top of the engine.

The rest was easy.

All packaged up and ready to go. I"ll drop them off at the post office tomorrow.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 09-02-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I forgot about the labor day holiday. They will ship tomorrow (tuesday)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Shipped them this afternoon
Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Just some dude.

sweet. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Shipped them this afternoon
Old 09-08-2007, 05:39 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I have a set of stock intake cams in my garage if interested.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Just some dude.

I could still use more sets of camshafts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: