Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mojocoggo Send a message via AIM to mojocoggo Send a message via MSN to mojocoggo Send a message via Yahoo to mojocoggo Send a message via Skype™ to mojocoggo
Potential buyer - need advice

I'm looking at a 1996 SVX with about 103k miles. It's only had one owner, complete service records, and I've seen the carfax and it's all very good and seems to be well maintained. Is there anything specific, at this milage, I should ask about/look out for? This would be my first Subaru. I currently drive an '88 BMW 535is (avatar). Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocoggo
I'm looking at a 1996 SVX with about 103k miles. It's only had one owner, complete service records, and I've seen the carfax and it's all very good and seems to be well maintained. Is there anything specific, at this milage, I should ask about/look out for? This would be my first Subaru. I currently drive an '88 BMW 535is (avatar). Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!
howdy. i'm not trying to be a jerk but you can find loads of info on that very topic with the 'search' function. you'll probably get more info that would have been left out by someone just randomly mentioning stuff.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
On a 96, check the rear wheel bearings. All SVXi seem to have issues with them. The early ones have tranny issues as well, but I think that was worked out by the 94 model year. Also, check the operation of the sunroof.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:31 AM

Here's what my SVX needed when I bought it @ <104,000: Radiator, AC hose, rear wheel bearings, PS return hose. The alternator and front half-shafts had recently been replaced. Within the first couple of years I needed a coolant temp sensor and crank pulley. With these items, mileage is more of a factor than model year. Good luck.

dcb
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Be sure to check the fluid levels, look around the engine bay and look for possible leaks. Wheel bearings, tranny, engine mounts, tranny mounts, suspention. Also be sure the front Llama guard is operational, royal pain to get replaced.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Llama guard?
..Make sure the muffler bearing is good..(seriously)
Also make sure the wheels are on forwards, otherwise when you post pictures, everyoe will point out "Your wheels are on backwards"

Slightly more serious checklist...
-Matinence records are a BIG plus
-Transmission:Though its a later year and should be alright, make sute it shifts smoothly, ect.
-check all the fluids. oil, atf,and diff fluid are key
-make sure theres no cracks in the windshield, its a very expensive part
-Make sure there's no noise from the rear wheel bearings. Some svxi are fine, others are plauged by bearing problems
-oil leaks: Valve cover gaskets and front seals. Fairly typical for a 10 yar old car, but will require replacing nonetheless
-brake rotors may be warped
-Check radiator top tank for cracks / leaks

Also some more benign problems that are typical
-Bad hood and trunk lifters
-sunroof may need a light push to get it opening
-check out for any excessive wear on the seats, steringwheel, ect.
-paint may be faded / peeling from mirrors and plastic peices below rear windows

Being you say its a one owner car with service recors, and well maintained...Id say all is well. Just check out them records and see if the timing belt and other 60k matinence was done
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I'll pretty much reiterate what everyone's said so far. I bought a 96 LSi as well at around 100K miles, and here's the problems I've had (misdiagnoses notwithstanding!)
  • Window switch for passenger side front on drivers door only brings window up, does not let it down
  • Killed the stock speakers (front)
  • Knock sensors (both)
  • Loose heat shields
  • Cracked resonator
  • Loose baffle in the muffler
  • Blew front seal and cam seal (oily!)
  • Headlights going yellow!
  • Both rear wheel bearings
  • One front wheel bearing
  • Dead battery

This sounds like a long list, but for an 11 (actually almost 12) year old car that's not half bad. Note that my radiator and all hoses were replaced before I got the car, and that I've owned three SVXi... if I don't know how to care for them by now I'll never learn

Hints for long life? Oil changes ever 3-5000 with GOOD synthetic, check (smell) transmission fluid at every gas stop (first sign of burning smell, get your transmission serviced... or every 25K or so failing that). Good quality air and oil filters are also a must... though if you use a K&N or some other oiled cotton air filter then be sure to put their oil on SPARINGLY when you clean it or you'll foul up your MAF.

Beyond that, they're great cars. They're heavier than they look, but the weight's down low. As a result, you can throw the car around quite a bit, but if you feel the traction start to break then be careful; the mass will work against you once traction's gone.

I almost sold my latest SVX about a month ago... I had stored it for a year and didn't feel like fixing it. However, once I did a couple of repairs and started driving her again the old addiction was back. Now I've started upgrading the sound system; I'm an hopeless case

Good luck!

Oh... and if you buy then stick around here. The advice you'll get from most of the members is invaluable... and the friends you'll make are worth their weight in wheel bearings

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocoggo
As you are new on the board, it's hard to know where everything is.

Have a look in the information folders in this particular How-To folder

There is even a page on things to check when buying.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mojocoggo Send a message via AIM to mojocoggo Send a message via MSN to mojocoggo Send a message via Yahoo to mojocoggo Send a message via Skype™ to mojocoggo
Thanks guys, I've looked around this site and others a bit more. If I do end up buying I'll definitely be sticking around here!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. If you do buy, you could do worse as preventative maintenance than to replace the timing belt. At 100K it's likely it's either never been replaced or it's been a while. Either way, replacing a timing belt is a relatively easy and relatively cheap way to ensure that things are running well.

Just my 2c... never had a timing belt break on an SVX, but I have had one break on a Honda. That wasn't pretty

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.