Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
How much, and where to get?

Kay, had a rather horrible experience last night involving a rancid burning smell and my brake pedal sinking to the floor, so I took it in to get looked at. Lo and behold, the rear brake calipers are rusted into a partially 'on' position and as such are using up the pads and heating up my brake system. Figures.

Price quote was 400-something to replace the calipers and pads on both sides. And 700-something to do that plus rotors. I'm no dummy, and I've done disc brake replacement before (though not on ABS cars), so I would like to avoid this insanely hefty price tag. I know I can get replacement rotors for a good price, but my rotors actually seem fine. I can get OEM pads cheap too, so that's not a problem either.

But where could I get rear brake calipers, and how much? Hopefully less than $125...?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

NAPA has prices from $52-84 per each...these are remanufactured...either way wherever you get you new ones make sure you trade the old ones in because they are worth a core value!!! My question now is...di you actually see for yourself that they were rusted? The pistons (is that what they're called?)may have run out of grease and without that lube this could have made them "stuck" anyway the link below is for calipers at napa. I went to their site because they have locations nationwide so I figure wherever you are there is prolly one close by and if they don't have them in stock they usually don't take a long ass time to ship.

http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NO...Rear&VehCode=Y
Old 04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Also the replacement is super easy so let me know if you need any info on that. Even for a first timer it shouldn't take more than 2 hours tops!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Yes, I did inspect them myself and yes, they are quite rusted. It's pretty nasty. Thanks for the info. There's a Napa place not too far from here... I'd just have to take a different car.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM

You are having a string of problems. My sympathies. But, you want to know that rusted calipers don't account for your pedal going to the floor. That would be a leak. Either external and you're losing fuild, or internal in the master cylinder, no fuild lost.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Retired

Rusted calipers account for brakes being constantly on which accounts for heat building up in my brake system. After driving it a while, that'd make the fluid heat up... and fluid boiling does account for pedal going to the floor. And that's backed up by my brakes working fine right now, after the whole system has cooled overnight. Just driving it to Midas made the burning smell begin to return.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:37 PM

If you say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Rusted calipers account for brakes being constantly on which accounts for heat building up in my brake system. After driving it a while, that'd make the fluid heat up... and fluid boiling does account for pedal going to the floor. And that's backed up by my brakes working fine right now, after the whole system has cooled overnight. Just driving it to Midas made the burning smell begin to return.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Retired

All right, but I didn't find any leaking brake fluid upon inspection, and does a leak in the line account for rancid burning smell? Where should I be looking for a leak, then? Why has my brake feel returned to normal overnight?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Unless a steel line is rusted, a rubber line cracked or a connection is not tight (or needs a new gasket because someone reused the old one) external leaks are rare. But, if you have one the fluid in the reservior will drop.

I don't recall ever smelling burning brake fluid, but when it evaporates it smells a little sweet.

The rancid burning smell is probably the brake linings. What's likely happening is that your piston is working when you apply pressure, but not releasing when you stop braking. Heat will build up until enough pad material wears away to create clearance between the pad and rotor, each time you use the brake. Some pads smell worse than others.

Most of the heat is concentrated in the rotor. Pads are insulators, so almost all the heat transferred to the caliper is by raditaion. Under normal driving conditions this heat is enough to weaken, warp and scorch the rotors, but not enough to boil your fluid.

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I do recall Darrel Waltrip (NASCAR) describing that boiling fluid would lock-up the brakes and I'm willing to take his word for it.

Last edited by cdvs; 04-25-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
This is more likely to happen if it's been a while since the brakes have been bled. If so than there is surely some water in the fluid, when it heats, the water turns to steam, and there goes you pedal to the floor...

So when you replace the caliper, rather than just bleed enough to get the air out, it will be a good time to completely flush the lines.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Retired

Okay, I'll go with that because it sounds true enough. That is, they don't return to normal operating position.

But the fluid level has not dropped. Guy even came back and asked me if I added more fluid in after I felt the pedal sink, which I had not. I've got normal levels.

Air pocket? Could the problems actually be unrelated? As in, yes the rear brakes aren't returning to a neutral position but that isn't why I lost brake pedal response?

And if so... well, while my brakes sticking makes a bad smell and isn't good for the pads and rotors, it's losing my brake pedal and response which has me worried the most. I want to get that taken care of. If fixing the calipers fixes that, so be it. If not, I'm not gonna be a happy camper. Suggestions?

EDIT: Didn't see Hocrest's post before typing this. Will definitely check this one out, as I don't think brake fluid replacement was part of the flush treatment I gave the car a while back. Thanks.

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 04-25-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
If the fluid was hot enough to boil, it should be replaced now anyway. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
4 drilled and slotted rotors plus 8 pads:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...03417073QQrdZ1

I have something similiar on my car, from ebay, irotors, and they are working quite well. pads are a little dusty, but i can live with that.

Here's what i have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...02768467QQrdZ1
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Retired

No, I've already found a great source for brake rotors and pads for my car, that's not an issue. But thanks anyway.

Replacing fluid later, hopefully getting some stuff more thoroughly inspected.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
You might want to check on the bearings as well. Extreme heat from a constantly engaged brake can boil the grease and make it useless.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl