How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
I bought my first Subaru (81 GLF) at an auction on Stewart Avenue in Atlanta.
Holy smokes, you know Stewart Avenue? My old stompin' grounds. And I'll bet that Marietta dealership you mentioned was Boomershine, which is where the ex and I bought our first Subaru.

dcb
Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I must say it is hard to sell an svx...Seems the market is especially flat right now. Mabey after tax return time itll kick up a notch..but I imagine itll be pretty stale at least untill next fall, when you can market it as a winter touring car

Hey, if the insurance is cheap enough, you midaswell hang onto it. Who knows, mabey so many of us youngin's will crash them that yours will be so so rare itll be worth ...mabey 4 grand...4500 even
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I didn't buy my car to sell. In fact, it's a great feeling knowing I'm the only one in my area that drives an SVX. All other vehicles look the same. I'm unique! Hope you'll feel the same and keep the car, even if you use it as a weekend car. I don't think it's worth selling. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Lover of Alcyones

Talking

There are A TON of subarus in Missoula MT where i come from, probably the most common car there They're decently common here in ut, not near as much but still! Probably see an svx or an xt at least once every two weeks, so i mean, not THAT bad!

Had:
91 xt auto awd(lt blue)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(blue/white)
86 xt 2wd turbo 5sp(black)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(silver/white)
89 xt AWD 5sp (white)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5 sp sold to Zukiru (silver)
86 xt turbo 2wd 5sp (silver/black)
Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
Thumper - hard to pinpoint any main reasons that the SVX is so hard to sell. If I had the budget for multiple SVXi, I'd be on yours in a heartbeat along with a few others I've seen on here. Unfortunately, I'm out of garage space and probably a good thing! I plan on keeping mine forever. If I sold it I know I would never find as nice a SVX unless I parted with some serious money. The car - despite some wildly optimistic speculation - is never going to be an "investment" that fetches mega-thousands at a classic car auction, at least not in my lifetime. I keep it because I love it and I can't think of anything out there that I would replace it with. I can think of a lot of cars I'd like in addition to it, but not one I'd replace it with.
So...to answer your question, I don't think you will ever get out of it what it's worth, unless you find a buyer like me that is in love with the car and can appreciate the condtion it's in.
Well said. I'd have to agree 100% with everything. I don't really think I could ever get what I paid for my car or what I am currently putting into her but I don't see anything new that looks like it would last me as long as my SVX. Plus I can't find any other vehicle that suits my taste.. something nice here.. something nice there.. but overall ehh everywhere. I smile everytime I see my car. I haven't seen anything else that gets the same reaction.

I do feel like the SVX spotting has grown here in San Antonio. There are 2 (pearl and bright red) that live nearby me but I can't seem to get in touch with them, leaving a card hasn't worked. I have also spotted 2 different green SVX (3 including Jaylin's svx..). I know they were different because one had brand logos all along the side like a collage. I also know there are ... 2 maroon SVXs (but one was in REALLY bad shape) and then there was Dan's black SVX... but haven't seen him in over 5 years. So I've been feeling lucky as far as sightings... I just wish that meant more parts. But I have been lucky to find a nice mechanic that is a car enthusiast and works for a reasonable price.

Good to be posting again... had to recreate my account, apparently I got too busy with work & paying for my SVX.

Take care,
Marisa

'93 Anniverasry Edition - 133k
cozykat's Locker
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I only sell SVXs from time to time as a hobby, as I am unable to keep so many cars, but get great enjoyment of saving them from poor circumstances and cleaning them up to see another day.

I am really attached to my Claret. I dont think that I would sell it for any reason, unless I moved overseas or something.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb

Thumper, you didn't mention the details, such as why it's not "roadable", & just how bad the cosmetics are. With a car, ANY car, that leaves the buyer open to unknown expenses, you're set up for a low-ball bid, & I myself would try to steal it from you. So IF by "cosmetics", you mean a ding or a dozen & needs paint, vs. two fenders well caved, & by "roadable" you mean needs tires, vs. rod protruding from block, I'd spend the bucks to first allow the car to run properly, so the prospective buyer can at least assume it'll get him/her home. Cosmetically, if your really talking paint & minor trim scuffs, if someone's hooked on an SVX, they'll want to re-paint it anyway. Without the answer to my questions (yet), & the fact that deep down you really don't want to part with her, I'd advise do the roadable stuff first, then drive it every third day, or so, helping the Volvo shed the high miles.
If & when it comes to sell time, do it the old fashioned way. Put a "FOR SALE" on her, tape a copy of some publication's (Road & Track, e.g.) early reviews on the glass, & park it on an up-scale mall's lot every weekend. People forget this was done very sucessfully, before the hassle of e-bay.

Ron. (I'll give you $500 sight unseen)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
no... its not worth selling at this point. It will only sell at a price you will cringe at...I say hold onto it for a while more, you will fall in love w/ it again

Tom
Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Thanks all for the feedback... and HEY MARISA!!! Long time no see... though you do email me occasionally when your web site goes down

Seriously... thanks everyone for the advice. You've all pretty much confirmed what I was starting to think; that potentially the SVX is more valuable to me as a third car than as a saleable item.

As regards Ron's comments; well, the items to make it "roadworthy" are really not. The car drives, and drives well. The problems are a bad wheel bearing (figures!) and a check engine light (known sensor issue)... plus there's a collapsed baffle in the exhaust making noise... but I have a new muffler waiting to be installed and would be sold with the car. Beyond that the car runs great. It needs an oil change and a wheel balance... and potentially an alignment. There's also some minor body damage, visible on my gallery page that I have dedicated to the car. Other than that, she's really "roadable" today... I just wanted to ensure that I was completely honest and up-front about the state of the car.

SO... my decision today is to keep my SVX. She's on notice though; I've ordered the sensor that's gone bad and she's scheduled in the shop on Saturday to have the bad wheel bearing replaced. Once I've done that, I'll renew my plates and get her street legal again. However, beyond that? Who can say. I might still decide to sell her in a week or so, or I might decide to keep her. I really don't know. I guess I'll keep the denizens of the club abreast of my decisions
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Good luck with your decision and I hope you keep and enjoy the car.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
Good luck with your decision and I hope you keep and enjoy the car.
LOL... and here you were four days ago saying "Sorry to see you leaving the fold"

You know, this group (and this car) are like a drug. One taste and you're hooked. Doesn't matter if you think you're clean... another hit and you're dragged down all over again.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx
You know, this group (and this car) are like a drug. One taste and you're hooked. Doesn't matter if you think you're clean... another hit and you're dragged down all over again.
hahaha... and I thought I was Above the Influence No wonder I smile when I see my car

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram