Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
After driving with svxfiles up a hill covered with snow+ice near his house WITH a trunk full of things such as 6spd Tranny, drive shaft, R180 diff and all the other parts needed for the swap of a tranny... I, on the other hand, will never again doubt the ability of our SVXs in snow conditions. I don't know if he noticed, but man was I scared that all of that stuff in the trunk is just gonna start falling out onto the road

Also, it seems that this thread has taken a turn into the direction of Snow Plows Legacy has higher ground clearance.... so of course it will be able to plow into snow with less problems... has nothing to do with AWD anymore... the car might have enough traction but not enough to push a ****load of snow in front of it... out of the way. You know whats better than a Legacy ? A truck with a snow plow attached to it!

-Sov

Last edited by Sov13t; 01-31-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t
After driving with svxfiles up a hill covered with snow+ice near his house WITH a trunk full of things such as 6spd Tranny, drive shaft, R180 diff and all the other parts needed for the swap of a tranny... I, on the other hand, will never again doubt the ability of our SVXs in snow conditions. I don't know if he noticed, but man was I scared that all of that stuff in the trunk is just gonna start falling out onto the road

Also, it seems that this thread has taken a turn into the direction of Snow Plows Legacy has higher ground clearance.... so of course it will be able to plow into snow with less problems... has nothing to do with AWD anymore... the car might have enough traction but not enough to push a ****load of snow in front of it... out of the way. You know whats better than a Legacy ? A truck with a snow plow attached to it!

-Sov

I have always wanted to put a snow plow on a legacy. Now that would have been awesome.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Now that would be an interesting mod!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
The '91 Legacy SS uses the same AWD system as the SVX.
The SVX has the same AWD system but the legacy lacks a limited slip rear differential which make a legacy in essence a 2wd car... if is a 5mt it is in essence a 1wd car functioning of 3 open differentials...

Tom
Old 01-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
The SVX has the same AWD system but the legacy lacks a limited slip rear differential which make a legacy in essence a 2wd car... if is a 5mt it is in essence a 1wd car functioning of 3 open differentials...

Tom
Wrong. The '91 SS is the single Legacy to come from the factory with VLSD in the rear.

EDIT: Here's an article where they pitted the Galant VR-4 against the '91 Legacy SS. http://legacycentral.org/images/vs/vs_2.jpg

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 01-31-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Wrong. The '91 SS is the single Legacy to come from the factory with VLSD in the rear.

EDIT: Here's an article where they pitted the Galant VR-4 against the '91 Legacy SS. http://legacycentral.org/images/vs/vs_2.jpg
The VLSD on the 1991 Legacy SS was 3.900 final drive and an extremely rare option.

I think some of the later Outbacks with the 4.44's have VLSD's, but I could be mistaken.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
The VLSD on the 1991 Legacy SS was 3.900 final drive and an extremely rare option.

I think some of the later Outbacks with the 4.44's have VLSD's, but I could be mistaken.
It was standard equipment on the '91 SS, not an option. SS was the whole package--turbo, sunroof, VLSD, all of it. It was the first year of the turbo Legacy, so they basically just took the rally car and subdued it. Then to cut costs, when Subaru did the post-facelift ('92-'94) they removed the LSD.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
It was standard equipment on the '91 SS, not an option. SS was the whole package--turbo, sunroof, VLSD, all of it. It was the first year of the turbo Legacy, so they basically just took the rally car and subdued it. Then to cut costs, when Subaru did the post-facelift ('92-'94) they removed the LSD.
I don't believe that's the case.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtop...light=1991+lsd
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
I don't see anything on that page which contradicts what I've already said. In fact:

In 1991:
Turbo: The '91 turbo Legacy only came in sedan trim, came with an upgraded transmission, different gear ratio, different interior options, and was called the SPORT SEDAN. Now I want to make it abundantly clear that the only Legacy Subaru has ever called a sport sedan is TURBO. The only Legacy in the US ever to come with an LSD was this car.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Maniac modifier

the turbo legacy is a rare example of a legacy. Not to mention the fact that turbo legs are not known fr their ability in the snow. No one even refers to them as SS usually they call them turbo legacies. No need to get heated about it. While a select few legacies had LSD all of SVXi have them

tom
Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Cool tow truck issue

I know why the SVX was having issues - his wheels were on backwards!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS
I know why the SVX was having issues - his wheels were on backwards!!!
What difference would that make? Assuming his tread isn't directional. And even if it were, it wouldn't be enough to cause a noticable difference.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieGravy
What difference would that make? Assuming his tread isn't directional. And even if it were, it wouldn't be enough to cause a noticable difference.
Its a joke...

Tom
Old 02-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Ah ha. Gotcha.