SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Slow starting

How do I know if my starter is bad? The car will usually start up 80% of the time on the first turn of the key...every now and then it just clicks and I have to do it a few times, but now my problem is this: When I start the car, it used to start up immediately...it's a sluggish start up and just seems like it's not getting enough voltage... Would my battery be the culprit or should I get a new starter? I'm puzzled...the more I try to start the car, the more it is sluggish...I'm worried one day that it won't start
Old 12-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Matt,
Hook up some jumper cables to it, and see if it makes it better, if it does, I'd say you probably need a new battery, but have the alt checked before you buy one, most parts places can check the alt for you while it's in the car.

Of cousre check and clean the battery cables, could just be a bad connection
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Bring it to an auto shop with free diagnostics and have them check everything. You can also check it if you have a volt meter. The battery should be 11-12 volts before start up and 13-14 volts once started (estimate).
Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
A guy at work told me to hook up to a good battery with jumper cables..if it starts up fine...I would also agree then that it's the battery. It's good to get two of the same answers.

Dannmarr, are you saying test battery when car is running for the 13-14 volts or just immediately during startup?

I would assume the alternator is fine...I do not observe any dimming lights and the car runs great once it's started.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Hey here's another question..my one visor light is out when I open the flap...I never use them, but is there a way to unplug them? Could it be possible the light is remaining on and causing a slow electrical drain that I'm not seeing??
Just a thought
Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Hey here's another question..my one visor light is out when I open the flap...I never use them, but is there a way to unplug them? Could it be possible the light is remaining on and causing a slow electrical drain that I'm not seeing??
Just a thought

Yes, and Yes..
You can remove the visor, and unplug the pigtail, then re-install the visor, 2 phillips head screws, and a couple minutes of your time.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-19-2006, 06:53 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Ok, thanks Huck...I will do this tonight....I had a feeling this part would be simple
Old 12-19-2006, 07:33 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Clicking is almost always indicative of starter solenoid contacts being worn out.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Can also be the ignition switch and/or the neutral safety switch not allowing sufficient power to pass through.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Yeah I'm not worried about the clicking at this point...
Where is the ignition switch and neutral safety switch and are they easy to test?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Yes the voltage should read about 13-14 when the car is in motion. Buy a volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket so you can observe the voltage. The easy fix; Put it in neutral and try starting it. If this works every time you have the problem starting, then it's the neutral/inhibitor switch. Do a search on starter relay bypass installation. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
ok I first attached jumper cables to my new truck battery...didn't work...still a slow start.... next I put car in neutral to start and it started slow again...almost didn't start actually.

What was weird though was that after I put the hood down and put car back in park to call it a night, I figured I'd move the car on more time. I started it up and it started immediately with a 'good' start....
So this is making me think it's the starter.... Would it be best to replace the starter? I don't think I can do that bypass relay mod..lt sounds too confusing to be honest.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 AM

I think you should be carful assuming it is the starter the best thing is to slide the soliniod wire off slightly at the starter so you can get a reading on the voltage getting to the solanoid if it is down below 11 v even may be as low as 8-9v your problem is some where else in the system. Your last post makes me think you have the same problem as Ikke had with the netural/park switch on the side of the transmission.
If you measure the voltage at the solanoid and it is low then move the gear shift when you try to start the car and see if it suddenly starts easier. It seems the switches on the side of the transmission fail over time.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
ok I first attached jumper cables to my new truck battery...didn't work...still a slow start.... next I put car in neutral to start and it started slow again...almost didn't start actually.

What was weird though was that after I put the hood down and put car back in park to call it a night, I figured I'd move the car on more time. I started it up and it started immediately with a 'good' start....
So this is making me think it's the starter.... Would it be best to replace the starter? I don't think I can do that bypass relay mod..lt sounds too confusing to be honest.

Any thoughts?
Well, you could take it off, and take it to a local rebuild shop, that does starters and alternators, and have them check it out, and rebuild it if it needs it....should be cheaper than going to a parts place, and if it's a reputable place, should be a better job.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-20-2006, 05:41 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
How hard is it to remove it? Anything I should remove...hoses, etc. to get to the starter...it's a PITA to get to right? I think its located down under the brake booster near the firewall. I know the dealership will charge a pretty penny, so I would rather have it checked and rebuilt if I need to.