Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-15-2006, 04:36 PM

To rebuild or not to rebuild (stock trans??)

My car is a 92 with 220k on the clock and the trans was rebuilt around a 100k mile ago. I called up a trans place and they quoted me $1000-1500 to reuild the stock trans if I pull it my self (which I plan to do). Right now the car goes great in the forward gears but has no reverse.

I have been searching for the past couple days on swaping in the outback trans and 4.44/4.11 gear train, but am worried about the gas mileage/extra wear on the car.

I have read of some people getting better mileage with the 4.44, is this true?

How do the 4.11 hold up? My neighbor has a 97 impreza auto awd with a blown motor, will this trans hold/bolt up behind the 3.3?

Are the newer 4EAT's a better trans i.e. out of a 97' outback? Is it possiable to just swap in the trans and not the new gear ratios?

It is going to be a daily driver and not raced, but I have to have the swap/rebuild said and done before next semester starts (beginning of Jan), so what do you guys thing?
I know there are a lot of threads out there and I have been searching, but I need to get this thing going soon, thanks for your help guys.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:51 PM

With 220 on your car I would replace the trans with a used one over rebuilding it...... some say it is cheeper to do the trans swap where you swap the rear diff. but if you can get that impressa trans for cheep (I think it will swap but the ratio is diffrent) I would pull your trans and swap the front diff from your old trans to the new one and go for it. this is easy to do ( I did it to my trans last night but for other reasons) the only tools you will need is 14mm, 12 mm, 10 mm, and 35mm once you got the trans out. if you look it up there are people that have posted the step by step on how to do it with pictures. you should be able to do the job in one night. it took me 3 hours but im a auto tech so Im sure it would take you a bit longer but the worst is removing/installing the trans. the diff swap is the easy part (I hate the damn 12mm T/C bolts!)
Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 PM

I have found several auto trannys out of the 97 outbacks on car-part.com. Can I just swap the tranny and not do the gear swap if I use my front diff?

How much can you usually get the rear diff for if I do decide to do the gear swap?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 PM

yes you can use your front diff and not have to buy a rear diff. imnot sure how much a rear will run but I understand you dont use the whole diff, you remove the ring and pinion and install it in your diff...but im not 100% sure on what is all invlved in that.. i just did the front diff swap
Old 12-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Shoot svxfiles a PM
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-17-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Shoot svxfiles a PM
Will do, thanks for the help guys!!
Old 12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
As yours is '92, it is AWD.

The cheapest way will be to use Legacy or Impreza 4EAT tranny. These will have a different final drive from the SVX.

When you get the spare tranny, it will have either 4.11 or 4.44 final drive in the front diff part of the replacement tranny.

You will have to get a rear diff of the same ratio and replace the SVX rear diff to match it up.

I'm planning to use a 4.11 gearset in my transmission next summer. Have a look in my locker, you can see the difference in speeds the change makes:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...ntialist|40489

My chart is comparing the Euro/JDM box with a 4.11, and our final drive is 3.70 compared to your 3.54 I think. Yours is higher geared, so the difference will be more marked.

If you are doing all your mileage on the freeway long distance, the standard box will be a couple of mpg better. For all other driving conditions the 4.11 will be superior.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-17-2006, 07:58 PM

Thanks svxistentialist for the excel file that was just what I was looking for!!!!! (yes my car is awd)

I definately want to go with the 4.11 if I have the choice. I found this web page that lists some of the cars that came with 4.11 but are there other cars?

http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/lsd/lsd.html

Also if I use the impreza trans I cant use the torque converter, if mine cant be flushed how much does a rebuilt one cost, and where should I look to get one?

What is the final drive on the outback trans?

once again thanks for your help guys!!!!!