How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM

Should I replace head gasket s ?

So I bought an EG33 engine with about 120k miles. The engine was said to be running smoothly before it was pulled, was very dirty but had no signs of leakage from HG area. Comression is 150x6, and oil and coolant looked clean.

I've got the engine cleaned up pretty well and on a stand indoors. I plan on getting an OEM gasket/seal kit and replacing as many as are practical (as well as water pump and timing belt.) But my big dilemma is : should I change the head gaskets ? All signs indicate that they have not failed, the only reason to replace them now would be to save work and $$ later.

Also, can someone tell me : Is it okay to re-use head bolts, or must they be replaced each time ?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele22
So I bought an EG33 engine with about 120k miles. The engine was said to be running smoothly before it was pulled, was very dirty but had no signs of leakage from HG area. Comression is 150x6, and oil and coolant looked clean.

I've got the engine cleaned up pretty well and on a stand indoors. I plan on getting an OEM gasket/seal kit and replacing as many as are practical (as well as water pump and timing belt.) But my big dilemma is : should I change the head gaskets ? All signs indicate that they have not failed, the only reason to replace them now would be to save work and $$ later.

Also, can someone tell me : Is it okay to re-use head bolts, or must they be replaced each time ?

I wouldn't replace it unless necessary.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
I wouldn't replace it unless necessary.
What he said!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
EG33's don't eat HG's like the Phase I EJ25's do. I wouldn't do HG's unless you absolutely need to.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-03-2006, 11:07 PM

Survey says :

No new HGs for me.

Thx
Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think you may want to do the HG's. Depends on how long you want to keep the SVX how many miles you will drive. If you got the time and $ I think it is worth it, if you want to keep the SVX.

When you get the front oil pump off you may want to push up and down on the crank and indicate the movement. This is the bearing clearance in the crank bearings. Lets you know if the engine is worn.

I would replace the valve cover gaskets and rear engine seal, covering inside and out with a thin layer of silicone grease to prevent oxidation and improve life.

Replacing the vacuum lines would be a good idea as well as intake manifold gaskets, TB, EGR cleaning, air valve.

What happened to the old engine?
Was the compression cold or hot? haha
Old 10-04-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
I think you may want to do the HG's. Depends on how long you want to keep the SVX how many miles you will drive. If you got the time and $ I think it is worth it, if you want to keep the SVX.

When you get the front oil pump off you may want to push up and down on the crank and indicate the movement. This is the bearing clearance in the crank bearings. Lets you know if the engine is worn.

I would replace the valve cover gaskets and rear engine seal, covering inside and out with a thin layer of silicone grease to prevent oxidation and improve life.

Replacing the vacuum lines would be a good idea as well as intake manifold gaskets, TB, EGR cleaning, air valve.

What happened to the old engine?
Was the compression cold or hot? haha
Well, I don't have an SVX, just the engine. Bought it from a slvage yard -- the car was (cosmetically) totalled, so they parted it out. I'm gonna put it (fingers crossed) in a Porsche 914. It's gonna be a "for fun" car - I'm not gonna put tons of miles on it.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
do the HG. As long as the engine didn't overheat much the surfaces should still be straight. This means it is pretty simple, Remove the heads and old gaskets, clean surface areas thoroughly and reinstall as the service manual requires... might want to pick up new head bolts too, it is always good to get new ones instead of using old ones

Tom