Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to neffer
Tire recommendations- KUHMO. TireRack has a special price on KUHMO H rated tires for 48.00. It hasnt snowed yet but I expect them to do as well as the others I had on the car which were the original OEM tires, Sumitomo , Visa By Falken, and now the KUHMOs. The KUHMO gives up a little in the handling department but considering that an SVX is 10-15 years old the car is not going to handle as when they were new. My co-worker has KUHMO on his Audi A8 Quatro and also consideres it to be the best tire he had.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:08 PM

ever hear of Michelin?

the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 is v rated and was wondering if anyone has any bad things to say about it?
Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 PM
mean.green.machine

I just bought a set of Yokohama Avid Vs and am happy with them. They seem good in the rain, fairly quiet, and were reasonably priced ($84 apieice from tirereack).
Old 10-02-2006, 06:08 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I've been driving on my just about dead Bridgestone Potenza RE070s for about 4 days now and they're awesome. Even tho they have a 140 treadwear rating it'd be a good choice for those of us with 17s and want to do some autoX/daily driving.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
I would recommend against the yokohama avid v4s. thats what i have now and they are decent for the price, but not overly sticky; I can make them scream when I don't think the tires should even be making noise.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I can't think of any V rated rubber that won't 'spot'. Spotting occurs whenever a warm tire is parked on a cool surface. Prevalent in V and higher rated tires due to nylon being used in their construction. That means that old tires with nylon belts do the same thing.

When a tire spins fast centrifugal force wants to pull the center of the tread out. That makes for poor handling and tire wear patterns. Most of us know that when you touch a nylon windbreaker (especially a thread) to something hot it shrinks and curls. Sooo.... when a nylon belt gets warm from high speed it also shrinks a tad and keeps centrifugal force from destabilizing the tread face.

Personally I can take the spotting but I'm tired of tires that get noisy as hell and ride rough after they accumulate a few thousand miles. My next set will be H rated. Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch about handling degradation, etc., consider that with the short sidewalls of a 50 series tire will keep that to a minimum. Besides, not everybody drives over 90 for great distances. And of those that do, how many replace, rather than repair, their tires when they have a puncture? A puncture repair renders the speed rating to nil, you know... Now remember, for the sake of liability, this is what I am going to do and it is not a recommendation for others to follow.

you will get the same noise out of a H rated tire i have fusion HRi's on my car and the are so noisey i thought my bearings were bad
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 10-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat
If you have not yet purcahsed these tires, DO NOT DO SO.

They ride great for about 5,000 miles. then they get loud. They have a 30,000 year warranty, but they wear fast, and weird. I went through my fronts at 14,000 miles, and Sears would not honor the warranty because of "uneven tread wear"

I will NEVER buy Falken tires again. They hold the road great, and they're awesome in rain and snow, but they don't last. My next set will be Toyo Proxes.
Well I already bought 6 Falkens. These have been highly recommended by a co-worker. He has them on his 05LegacyGT. The tire gets great opinions on the LegacyGT board. I have six so I can damage a few when I run over pot holes and other highway trash, as per Beav' reco.

Tire and wear and noise. Yup I have had Yoko db's wear out and ContiExtremes wear out. Both ended up with a washboard type of wear and every so noisy. Sounds just like a bad wheel bearing, except the noise moves with the tire. Beav suggested to me to find another shop for wheel alignment and he was correct. I find it frustrating that alignment is not straight forward and the other shops I was using were not so good at SVX alignment. They do a fine job for my other cars.. A buddy of mine says he has done alignment with a level and a piece of string!!!! Anyway, the last alignment I had done was at the expensive Subaru Porche dealer down the street. This was back in the spring after I sanded off the washboard tire wear on the Conti's. The tire wear was acceptable after this was done.

I am really glad to hear you like the snow and rain handling for the Falken’s. So I will see how they do this winter.

I too look for tires that will be more of a GT with great all weather handling and not to race with.

The question is this???? Do different tire brands require different alignment????
Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 AM

I've been real happy with my V-rated Cooper Lifeliner SLE Touring tires. Cost was a tick over $500 with balancing, mounting, old tire disposal fee, yada-yada. Quiet, fine ride and handling, with no discernible tread wear after about a year of daily driving on curvy Appalachian roads. Don't know about snow, tho'.

dcb
Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
The question is this???? Do different tire brands require different alignment????
They shouldn't...unless they've already worn weird.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
They shouldn't...unless they've already worn weird.
So if the alignment is done to compensate for non-uniform tire wear, to try and even it out, the handling would be effected because the tire would not contact the road in the middle of the tire?

Dave have you ever done a wheel alignment at your dads? How hard is it to tighten up the bolts to the front strut from underneath the SVX? You know, the alignment is done and now the bolts have to be tightened so nothing moves. I found these bolts pretty loose when I replaced the front strut the last time. Is it possible to get a torque wrench in that space?

Take care,
John
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 AM

Falken Z512

Quote:
Has anybody heard of the FALKEN ZIEX ZE512 tires?
I got some and like them. I'm in florida, so I don't see snow or ice. I got the V rated. I think they also come in H rated?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Quote:
the bolts have to be tightened so nothing moves. I found these bolts pretty loose when I replaced the front strut the last time. Is it possible to get a torque wrench in that space?
Take care,
John
The last time I tighten the strut bolt to torque specs, the bolt snapped! I was told that the torque specs are for new bolts only. You should tighten the bolts until snug. So be careful.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
The last time I tighten the strut bolt to torque specs, the bolt snapped! I was told that the torque specs are for new bolts only. You should tighten the bolts until snug. So be careful.
Wow! That is really strange. Those bolts are some of the biggest on the SVX. I think they have to be tight or a pot hole engagement will move the alignment.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Never done my own alignment. I've only taken it in for a pro alignment.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I always whack 'em with my 1/2" impact wrench, just like the pros do.