Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah, I am gonna say that ECU has fail. First thing would be to check and make sure all the connections are good. Then maybe replace the TCU if nothing else shows signs of faults.

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Über Putz
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Hopefully I can dig one up soon to test the theory. Although it seemed to make difference when I unplugged it
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Maniac modifier

did you unplug it before or after you tested for codes?? I have quite a few here you could use for troubleshooting

Tom
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Über Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
did you unplug it before or after you tested for codes?? I have quite a few here you could use for troubleshooting

Tom
Good point. I pulled codes after I tried disconnecting it. I didn't even think of that. I guess that's what happens when you're tired I guess it makes sense seeing as 25 was the only existing code to display.
I'll be back to my car later today so I'll start it up for a bit, drive around the lot and then try to pull the codes again.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Maniac modifier

ok, just please make sure its a 25 because thats not even a registered code, I will do some more searching for it

Tom
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Über Putz

It was definitely a 25. Had to do some searching to find out what it meant. The thing is, the ATF light didn't start to blink at all until after I disconnected the TCU. 25 was the only current code logged in the system, so I'll assume that unplugging the TCU caused the code. After re-connecting and checking current codes, none are given.
Anyway, I ended up bringing the car down to my mechanic today. Unfortunately there too many things going on at the moment and I can't really dedicate the time to repair, nor do I really think I have the tools or knowledge/ skill/ luck to get the job done. I'll see what he finds and report back. Thanks to everyone for all the help though, if nothing else it's a learning experience
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Maniac modifier

keep us updated as to the cause of the troubles as you find out... good luck!

Tom
Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Über Putz

OK, accdording to my mechanic the transmission is kaput He found another one with 55,000 miles and said he could get it and swap for ~1200. Now as much as I'd like to do a MT swap, it isn't feasible due to the cost and looming talk of layoffs at my company.
I'd like to consider an alternate AT for the time being. I've read a bit about 4.44/4.11 swaps but need to do more digging in regards to advantages and disadvantages to each as well as possible cost and work involved. I'll assume that the actual cost of the transmission would be lower due to the larger amount available. Any input and suggestions on this matter would be helpful and appreciated. I miss my SVX already and would love to have her back.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoP View Post
OK, accdording to my mechanic the transmission is kaput
Unfortunately this is a typical technical diagnosis and one is left wondering as to the real cause.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Über Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Unfortunately this is a typical technical diagnosis and one is left wondering as to the real cause.
Sadly it is usually the case. This was the "quick and dirty" version of it that was given to me. I'll be talking to him more this week and try to get a rough translation of what went wrong if possible.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoP View Post
OK, accdording to my mechanic the transmission is kaput He found another one with 55,000 miles and said he could get it and swap for ~1200. Now as much as I'd like to do a MT swap, it isn't feasible due to the cost and looming talk of layoffs at my company.
I'd like to consider an alternate AT for the time being. I've read a bit about 4.44/4.11 swaps but need to do more digging in regards to advantages and disadvantages to each as well as possible cost and work involved. I'll assume that the actual cost of the transmission would be lower due to the larger amount available. Any input and suggestions on this matter would be helpful and appreciated. I miss my SVX already and would love to have her back.

Teh 4.44/4.11 swap is a straight plug and play, same as an original tranny EXCEPT you also have to get a matching rear diff, and swap the ring and pinion from the new rear diff and the SVX rear diff
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Über Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Teh 4.44/4.11 swap is a straight plug and play, same as an original tranny EXCEPT you also have to get a matching rear diff, and swap the ring and pinion from the new rear diff and the SVX rear diff

Thanks for the confirmation on that. It's what I've gathered from my searches, so I'm really leaning towards it. Most likely a 4.44. Just need to get a list of possible "organ donors" to help with the physical search. I found the nice write-up that SXVFILES did, if nothing else it's a really good reference.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Über Putz

OK, I've decided on going with the 96-97 Legacy Outback for the Donor for the 4.44 swap. I'll avoid the 98 due to the filter issues I've read about. I'll report back with my findings.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Über Putz

Well, things have changed a bit. Sorry for not posting an update but alot has been going on lately Karma must REALLY be getting me back for my "misguided" youth. Anyway...
After checking around for an alternate tranny, it became clear to me that it was going to end up costing more to have it installed than a straight swap. So, sadly I decided to stick with the SVX tranny for economic purposes for the time being.
The work was done and completed, car drives fine now I'm glad to have it back finally. Unfortunately someone hit the back of my car while I was parked and now I have a nice little dent right above the bumper w/ paint flaking off.
Thanks again to everyone for all info, suggestions and help. If nothing else it will be a good reference for myself for the future and for anyone else who searches out this problem.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 04-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
You got it sorted, that's the main thing.

Sorry to hear about your prang in the back, and thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl