Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2006, 12:05 PM

Can't get transmission out of park

I have a '92 SVX. Lately I cannot get the gear shift to go out of park. Car starts up fine but the gear shift won't move. It is like it is locked (or like the car is turned off). So, turn it off, you take out the key and put it in again, start it again and maybe the trans can go to Reverse / drive etc.

Almost acts as if there is some electric lock / solonoid that doesn't release and let the car go into other that park.

If you are successful the car drives like normal, runs fine.

Until you go to go out of park into r/d you wouldn't know. Is there a faulty switch of some sort?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Does the button at the top left base of the shifter release it?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM

Replying to button question.

Depressing the big button doesn't make a difference.

Other (smaller) button on the stick shift is the "manual" mode button. It didn't work either. I didn't think it would but tried it anyway.

Usually I just grab the stick, depress the big button on handle and away you go.

So, try and try again and sooner or later it lets you go into gear.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Locker Link Solution

no, there is another button.

On the plate where it actually says P RND... there is a oval piece of plastic that sticks up... the words are probably worn off, but it overrides the lock that nomally disenganges with the brake. (allowing you to press the big button on top of shifter and slide into gear)

Hint: You are going to need two hand to press the right buttons at the same time.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 05-09-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 PM

Big button

There is a big button (big as my thumb) at the top - left of the t-handle. I depress this - nothing happens (other than it goes in).

The smaller button - down lower - for manual mode - doesn't help either.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
no, there is another button
Yeah, on the console about an inch from where the shifter goes into the console. It is not marked and you probably never used it before. It can be used to release from "park" even if the key isn't in.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Locker Link Solution

You have to hold two buttons at the same time, neither is the manual button. check back in a few minutes, I'll see if I can find a pic to poitn them out.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Locker Link Solution

alright it was just easier to go dig my old one out.... here is a pic of the two buttons you need to press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter.JPG (45.8 KB, 114 views)

Old 05-09-2006, 02:11 PM

Button on the console

Ok, that's right. There is that one button. So if I press these simultaneously then it will unlock it that time only or it will unlock it for future "starts"?

I'll have to try theis when I get home from work.

I really do appreciate everyon's help.

Maybe I can throw one other thing/item at you.

Here goes.

When the car is running at idle - say if I want to turn my wheels the power steering feels like you are out of or low on fluid and the wheels turn only say 10 degrees at a time, the steering wheel shakes,etc.

If I didn't know any better I would say that I am low on PS fluid. There is no whine or sound other than the normal one expected as you. One you get to where you can proceed the car steers normally. When you slow and stop then you have that jerky hard to turn issue again.

It is not low on fluid. So, I wonder if the pump is going out. Any ideas?

Thanks...again
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bociba
Ok, that's right. There is that one button. So if I press these simultaneously then it will unlock it that time only or it will unlock it for future "starts"?
It does not permenatly unlock it, just while you are holding it down.
Be sure you are still holding in the brake pedal while you do it too.

You may want to do a seach on the steering issue and compare symptoms.
I don't know your mechanical ability, but I would start with a flush to ensure we have good fluid in and check the pump at the same time. Here is a howto on it. That I would call a 2 or 3 on the 1-10 scale of ability. After that I would check the U joints on the steering column, it seems some members have had problems with them. You may need to ask for some assistance, it would be a 5 or 6. Last resort is rack replacment, a 7.

Last edited by Speedklix; 05-09-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM

I had the same shift lock problem and eventually got fed up with always having to use two hands to shift out of park so I bought a used shift lock module on Ebay for like 10 bucks and spent 15 minutes installing it...problem fixed permanently.

Caleb
Old 05-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Elizabeth

Me too

I have the same problem periodically. By chance I found that putting on the emergency brake and taking it off will release the shift. Hope it works for you.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I have the same problem periodically. By chance I found that putting on the emergency brake and taking it off will release the shift. Hope it works for you.
Thanks for the helpful 1st post.

Welcome to the family!

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have a half dozen shift lock units hanging out in the shop. If you need one fire a PM my way. This is a common failure and the last 2 autos I have been working on have toasted shift lock units

Tom
Old 05-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Sue isn't really striped

My car sometimes does the same thing, used the funny buttons to move the shifter. I've noticed that sometimes my car doesnt quite believe it's in park, and I need to make sure the gear shift is firmly in the P position. The folks who installed my tranny said they can fix this, haven't gotten around to it yet.