Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
What would it take to convert a SVX?

Just a sudden thought... what would it take to convert a SVX to E 85? is it possible?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
Just a sudden thought... what would it take to convert a SVX to E 85? is it possible?
Probably a donor car and a lot of time.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Just to clarify..what is e 85?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
my bad its "E85" and not e 85 but its this:
(pulled from http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/e85.php)

E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy. Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence.

Today, the U. S. imports more than half of its oil, and overall consumption continues to increase. By supporting ethanol production and use, U.S. drivers can help reverse that trend. 85% ethanol can reduce pollution. Government tests have shown that E85 vehicles reduce harmful hydrocarbon and benzene emissions when compared to vehicles running on gasoline. E85 can also reduce carbon dioxide (CO2), a harmful greenhouse gas and a major contributor to global warming.

Although CO2 is released during ethanol production and combustion, it is recaptured as a nutrient to the crops that are used in its production. Unlike fossil fuel combustion, which unlocks carbon that has been stored for millions of years, use of ethanol results in low increases to the carbon cycle.

Ethanol also degrades quickly in water and, therefore, poses much less risk to the environment than an oil or gasoline spill.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
I think the major reason that the EG33 cannot run E85 is the materials in the fuel system. They would *probably* not be able to stand up to ethanol. Although, with the high compression and two knock sensors, I wouldn't be surprised if it could adapt the fuel curves enough to run E85. Maybe Longassname can lend his technical expertise in answering this one.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Locker Link Solution

Only problem I have with E85 at the moment is the fact that you can't store it very long, and it is a logistics nightmare.

It is cool that we are finally getting somewhere though. It is better than not having it around.

And yes LAN would have to be in on this to make it work without a donor car.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 05-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95
I think the major reason that the EG33 cannot run E85 is the materials in the fuel system. They would *probably* not be able to stand up to ethanol. Although, with the high compression and two knock sensors, I wouldn't be surprised if it could adapt the fuel curves enough to run E85. Maybe Longassname can lend his technical expertise in answering this one.
you read my mind... the only thing is other then having to replace various rubber components (i hear ethonal likes to eat away at rubber) from the fuel system what elce needs to be changed?

LAN what do you think???
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Is it possible to convert a vehicle that was designed for gasoline to operate on E85? Yes. However, there are no conversion or aftermarket parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No aftermarket conversion company has taken the initiative to certify an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85% ethanol.

The differences in engine size, fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, OBD, material composition of fuel lines, fuel pumps, and fuel tanks, and other part issues among the millions of vehicles on the nation’s highways, all contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. Additionally, the production of vehicles from the original equipment manufactures that are capable of operating on unleaded gasoline or E85, (ie. Flexible fuel vehicle) at no additional cost over the gasoline only model, provide little incentive for a conversion company to undertake the very expensive and time consuming task of aftermarket certification.
The material issues are the major hurdles. I don't think it is cost-effective.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-01-2006, 01:50 PM

yes maybe but what about performance effective??? and with gas prices the way they are how much longer are we going to be able to say its not cost effective?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
yes maybe but what about performance effective??? and with gas prices the way they are how much longer are we going to be able to say its not cost effective?
Unfortunately, new EPA reports say that ethanol isn't very enviro friendly and because there are only like 2 ethanol stations anywhere, I can't imagine that ethanol will be around for long unless they cleanse it.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
"...yes maybe but what about performance effective???"

NO, not at all, thats one of the things I hate most about the govt. they lie,
E85 burns MUCH hotter than traditional petroleum based gasoline, it distroys the motor, honestly. Cars and motors running on E85 burn up rings and cylinder walls so fast its not even funny, and forget about any kind of performance, those motors running on it run like crap, the stuff is worthless, I am in super millage car programs and this is one of the medians we can use, and it sucks, the millage is worse on average and they burn so damn hot you distroy motors very rapidly, we burned out two Briggs that were mad for E85.
JUNK, thats why most cars arent E85 friendly.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Locker Link Solution

the more I've been thinking about this today, the less I have been liking the idea of ethanol.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Thumbs down

E85?

Cost more -
Lowers mileage -
Special engine -
Environmentally friendly +

minus 3 plus one = total crap

I have enough problems without E85, NO thanks.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
EF= - as well... complete junk
Old 05-01-2006, 03:18 PM

E 85 (so far) is not cost effective. You get 30% lower fuel economy then gasoline as it has a lower specific heat. It is more expensive (and in all honesty with greed being what it is i dont think it will ever be cheaper) due to the costs of growing the material to make it. You need to replace all the ruber parts and possibly some plastic ones, and you need to have your tank cleaned. ALso since the engine will run cooler you may have a comfort issue in winter.
Unfortunitly Gasoline does everything well, from refining to storage to end use in comparison to E85 or any other man made fuel. I have seen black boxes to convert a car to e85, but they make no mention of rebuilding the fuel system, Buyer beware.
What everyone is misqouting (not here so far) is that it only costs 200.00 to convert a car to burn E85. That number is the cost on the production line, not after the car is already built.
Also the Ethanol mfg's are saying its not cost effective to convert an existing car.http://www.siue.edu/ETHANOL/faq.html and http://www.iogen.ca/company/faq/index.html(and found other sites that said the same thing). Surprisingly if you a carb its easier to convert then fuel injection.
Personally i like deisel or bio deisel, but no sooby deisel engine

nipper