How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 PM
leiavoia

Transmission slipping - need advice

I bought a 92 SVX last december. It drove fine for a while, but now the tranny is starting to slip often on low gears. It almost got me in an accident last week when i tried to turn through crosstraffic and the car wouldn't move. Oncoming cars... reving engine... a very scary moment.

I need to know what to do about it now as far as service is concerned. I'm not machanically literate enough to do any sort of work on it myself. I can either have it serviced at the dealer or the shop that i've been taking my previous car ('90 Legacy) to. I at least know they do a good job, but i would like someone with some experience/knowledge on SVX's in particular, if possible. But i also know dealers can be expensive.

Here is what i know so far:

- 64,000k miles on car
- Transmission fluid is new/red and to level (previous owner did work on transmission himself and changed all fluids and cleaned engine exterior before he sold it. From what i gather, he bought the car from someone who did not want to deal with the trany issues and who simply sold it instead. He fixed trany and sold it to me.)
- Car slips on low gears. I notice it driving around residential areas and taking off from red lights. I doesn't shift up very well. A few weeks ago it wouldn't get past 1st or 2nd and wouldn't shift right until i parked the car, turned it off and then turned it back on.
- Doesn't shift up well when i "gun it" from a dead stop. The RPMs will hit 6k+ if i just mash the pedal down. I have to ease up on it to let it shift up. When i first bought it, the engine felt like it wanted to jump right out of the car! (that's good) Now it just revs up a lot but doesn't move well :-(

This is a serious issue for my own personal safety, as i noted above. It's happening more and more and needs service.

Do you have any advice as to what i should do? What it might take to fix? Who should service it? I anticipate this being a spendy job, so i'm consulting the experts first :-)

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
One of the clutches/bands in the transmission is worn out or needs adjustment. The quickest/easiest fix would be to swap the tranny (if it isn't as simple as an adjustment). A lot of people have been very happy swapping from the stock 3.54 tranny to a 4.44 tranny.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
leiavoia

Any idea what a total swap-out would cost? (vs repair)?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:50 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
trans

if you go to www.car-parts.com you can find anything you need for a car. if you do a search for a 96 or 97 legacy outback auto trans you can normally find them for around 1k with reasonable milage. you also need the rear diff from the same car due to the different ratio...im not sure if there are any replacement transmissions with the same diff ratio as the SVX. unless you want a 5 speed. you can probably perform that swap for about 2k.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click