How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Zoroaster

How to change fuel filter?

I bought a new one for my SVX, but the how to isn't very how to. It just says to disconnect the fuel pump before changing it. ??? Where is it even located? How do I do it?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Guess we need a how-to on how to disconnect the fuel pump

I didn't do that when I changed mine. It's been a while and I don't remember how long it sat but I just removed the hoses and unclamped/changed the filter.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Guess we need a how-to on how to disconnect the fuel pump

I didn't do that when I changed mine. It's been a while and I don't remember how long it sat but I just removed the hoses and unclamped/changed the filter.
This is it

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Zoroaster

Where is it even located?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The filter is under the hood right by the fuse box/rad overflow container.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:42 PM

To disconnect the fuel pump you need to remove the rear seat. On the passenger's side, there is a connector you have to disconnect. The connect is right at the bottom of the interior plastic trim. You have to pull the seat to get at the connector. It's still a little hard to get to because it's sort of back under the plastic.
After you disconnect it, start the car and let it run until it dies. That relieves the pressure in the fuel line.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I hate to sound like a redneck.....even though I am.... But I disconnected the battery, and removed the hose. I got a little blast of gas on my throttle body, but nature evaporated it for me. I snapped my suspenders and carried on.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-14-2005, 05:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I hate to sound like a redneck.....even though I am.... But I disconnected the battery, and removed the hose. I got a little blast of gas on my throttle body, but nature evaporated it for me. I snapped my suspenders and carried on.
Sounds like a good way to go.
I don't see the need to pull the seat if the pump is not on.
I expect it lets off over time anyway, and that's why we hear it come on
when the key goes past ACC.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Meow!

No, you run the car with the pump unplugged in order to relieve the pressure in the system.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Hater

if you do a search, i believe there is a pic of the fuel pump connector. i think there are two connectors under the seat on the pass. side.

TIP#1:
the first time i did the fuel filter, i let the car sit overnight, disco'd fuel pump, ran car until dead. irregardless, when i popped the first hose off the filter, a projectile squirt of gasoline shot out of the line and directly onto my headlight, causing a thousand tiny spider cracks in the plastic lens. i forgot to wrap a rag around the hose to catch sprays/drips before i pulled it off, so don't forget to do this.

TIP#2:
you can shred the skin off your blistered hands for a half hour or more trying to get the hoses off the filter while mangling the crap out of them, or go to your local chain auto parts store and buy a bag of bulk fuel hose. measure the new hose against what's on the car and cut to length. cut the hoses off the car, and pull the remaining pieces off with pliers. install new hose and filter. to me, cost of the bag of hose was worth the time and effort saved.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
It is very easy. No need to relieve the pressure, it will leak some fuel when you dissconnect it, just take your time. Once you find it, try to add some liquid wrench or other similar product inside the ends of the hoses going in and out of the filter. This will make it easier to pull off the hoses. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:39 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Spray Carburator cleaner on the outside of the hose end you are removing. You will have to keep spraying it for a few minutes. It evaporates quickly.