Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
well I did check the voltage and was getting 12 volts without cranking over...but when I cranked over I got somewhere around 9.5-10...
needless to say, I pulled the starter out...took about 20 mins altogether and took it to a rebuild shop....they looked at it and said the windings were shot and the brushes were worn down, solenoid was toast too..They rebuilt it...put a new gear armature on also...all for 85 dollars...that beats 600-800 any day with Subaru prices....I'll install it in the car probably when I get back from vacation and give you guys an update
Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
BTW, no reason to sweat over matching a relay to the system. Instead of removing the solenoid trigger wire from the solenoid and placing it on the relay trigger terminal, just install a jumper from the solenoid trigger terminal to the relay instead. The relay gets triggered, the OE circuit remains intact and 12vdc is assured at the solenoid. Simple.
I will probably get clobbered for sticking my oar in again, but it is necessary to make sure all aspects are fully appreciated. My greatest concern is that it may be taken that I am stating that Beav is in error, which is certainly not the case.

As I understand it, the original idea was a band aid against a resistance in the trigger circuit, which was intermittent and could not be located. If the solenoid remains in the trigger circuit, excessive voltage drop will still occur as before. A relay, being more sensitive than the solenoid, will probably operate at the lower voltage, but the arrangement would be far from ideal.

The main purpose of a slave relay is to eliminate a heavy load being imposed on a trigger circuit. If the trigger wire is not removed from the load, the load will remain as a parallel component.

Having read through what I have written, I am aware that because of my rather exact text, some may think that I am trying to be a smart ass. If so think again, as my desire is only to exactly provide that which is properly useful.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I took Beav's advise and started to test for voltage drops. I disconnected my 'band aid' mode and re-attached everything back to normal. I turned the ignition and nothing, not even when I shifted into Neutral. This is great! Now I can do my probing. This is what I read: using a volt meter, one lead on the negative post of the battery and the other on the starter solenoid blade. Turning the ignition key I got 6 volts. Then I placed the lead on the wire, turning the ignition key I got 12 volts! I concluded the connector was bad because I got 12 volts on the wire entering the connector but only 6 volts coming out of the connector to the solenoid blade. Before I could do anymore testing to confirm what I found, the car would start up every time. Sorry, I'll keep trying tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp starter voltage drop.bmp (718.8 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-29-2006, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I took Beav's advise and started to test for voltage drops. I disconnected my 'band aid' mode and re-attached everything back to normal. I turned the ignition and nothing, not even when I shifted into Neutral. This is great! Now I can do my probing. This is what I read: using a volt meter, one lead on the negative post of the battery and the other on the starter solenoid blade. Turning the ignition key I got 6 volts. Then I placed the lead on the wire, turning the ignition key I got 12 volts! I concluded the connector was bad because I got 12 volts on the wire entering the connector but only 6 volts coming out of the connector to the solenoid blade. Before I could do anymore testing to confirm what I found, the car would start up every time. Sorry, I'll keep trying tomorrow.
Does this not show that you moved the connector and restored proper contact, or is the connector not crimped properly onto the wire?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I did move the wire while I was probing but the connection was sound and the wire was crimped well. Because this problem usually occurs when the car is hot, I believe the car cooled down while I was testing. Next time I will disconnect the connector and place the lead inside the connector to read the voltage.

Last edited by dannmarr; 12-29-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
More help:

If finding someone to hold the key in the 'start' position is difficult (or whenever you need to stress a particular circuit) place a 'portable' load in the circuit. In other words detach one end of the circuit from the normal load and insert a load of your own, such as a headlight, etc. Just don't too carried away, keep the amount of load within reason and don't fry the circuit or devices (switches, etc.)
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Get a set of aligator clips for your multimeter and put one end on the battery the other on the lead to the solanoid blade (with the wire still attached) then get in the car and have the meter on the bonet so you can see from in the car and read the voltage. Then you can move the ignation switch, watch for any effect on the voltage, then move the gear stick and look for any change. Armed with the different piaces of info you may be able to get a better idea of what is going on.
And last but not least can we all calm down and get along instead of tearing each other apart over who is right and who is wrong. If we keep carrying on like this people will stop using the forum because its just to painful to get a answer.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=
And last but not least can we all calm down and get along instead of tearing each other apart over who is right and who is wrong. If we keep carrying on like this people will stop using the forum because its just to painful to get a answer.
Tony[/QUOTE]

Tony,

Would you please explain. This thread, although complicated due the curly issue of detecting an intermittent problem, appears to be nothing other than constructive and in good will.

Sincerely, Trevor.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:49 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Quote:
Tony
I must agree. I am perfectly happy with my 'band aid mode' and have no problem starting my car. This is not an issue for me. But I am trying to contribute in solving this problem, but it seems that certain individuals always shoot me down when all I am trying to do is help. It would be nice if kind words of encouragement came from these individuals rather than being criticized.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:56 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I must agree. I am perfectly happy with my 'band aid mode' and have no problem starting my car. This is not an issue for me. But I am trying to contribute in solving this problem, but it seems that certain individuals always shoot me down when all I am trying to do is help. It would be nice if kind words of encouragement came from these individuals rather than being criticized.
If you will explain exactly when and where you have been criticized, the individuals will I am sure, explain and or apologize.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 PM

Trevor my point is not directed to any one person just that some times it gets into a mud slinging match. The SVX is by far the best car Subaru ever built and I see it that it is our jobs to make sure people enjoy the pleasure of the car not the pain so we keep as many on the raod as possiable. If people ask for advise and then they get betten up because they are not experianced enough to understand electricial circuts or what ever it is its not fair. I recently got contacted by email to help a guy because he was worryed about getting critized if he asked for help on the forum.
Last week some clown told people like me that we should use a dictonary before writing on the forum because I can't spell. This is inspite of the fact that I createed, own and run a company that has 150 employee and turns over $60m and get paid $5,000 for a one hour speach all because I can't spell and think differently to everyone else.
Lets get on with the job and not go on a which hunt. The comment is ment to be general to all.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX
Thank you Tony,

My point was that this particular thread is not a mud slinging match and your post unfortunately tended to imply that it is, accepted that this was not your intent.

It must be accepted that if someone lacking in knowledge, posts something which is incorrect and therefore their statement can be detrimental towards members, such information should be corrected in the interest of members. I agree that any correction should be kindly and worded so as not to cause embarrassment. On the other hand, correction as such, must not be regarded as unfair. If so taken, this in itself can result in a witch hunt.

It has been pointed out by the organisers, that many using this facility, have English as a second language, and perhaps this fact should be emphasised more often. I too am hopeless at spelling, but in the interest of providing exact information I make a special efforts towards accuracy. Not difficult when using a computer.

Cheers, Trevor. *>)

Last edited by Trevor; 12-30-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'll second that judgemental thing, not that this is exactly the place to do it though.

I know I get irritated and grouchy at times but it's usually the result of witnessing judgemental-ism. Then again, I've more than once been guilty of it myself. Anyway... when we consider what we're made of it's a wonder we do anything quite as well as we do - reading, writing, driving, flying the space shuttle or not peeing on the toilet seat. Let's all just ease up a bit, impart some information, ask a few questions and have a few laughs.

Remember, having a differing opinion doesn't necessarily mean you're being attacked. It's just that the other person has different experience or information, right or wrong. No matter hard hard we whip that dead horse he isn't going to move another inch on his own but he will begin to stink the place up.

Funny about the spelling thing. I am very sensitive to picking up misspelled words but as I grow older I find myself questioning my own spelling more and more each day. Even more peculiar is that each week I spend a couple hours in a recording booth, reading and recording books for blind and/or dyslexic people. It helps to keep it all in perspective... being sensitive to something, seeing it develop in myself and helping others that accept the difficulty yet not letting it hold them back or worrying what others think.

Hopefully we can put an end to all of it, it's just a crazy waste of time, space and effort.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:40 PM

Guys lets all have a Good New Year, my sons (16 years old) best friend just got attacked and kill for no reason so when that happens it changes the perspective on life for ever.
Tony
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Guys lets all have a Good New Year, my sons (16 years old) best friend just got attacked and kill for no reason so when that happens it changes the perspective on life for ever.
Tony
Bad news Tony.

What the hell is going on down under. We over here had a stabbing at a New Years Eve do. ('party' Beav). Knives seem to be flashed right left and centre. Once upon a time a guy would never use a knife in a scrap, or kick another when they were down, otherwise his mates would disown him.