Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-01-2005, 03:37 PM
SvXchica

Exclamation Help... girl needs help!!!

**Excuse the spelling, I can NOT spell**

Ya'll I do NOT know what to do with my car!!! Ugh, it seems like its falling apart on my but I love it sooo much!!! Heres the story.

I wrecked my car in Febuary of 05, so I had to get a new one, so after looking everywhere I finally found a new one. It seemed perfect. A 95 Subaru SVX, 93,000 miles, "great condition" well the inside of it at least. The paint was a lil chipped and stratched here and there, the interior was in good shape for the most part, I saw that I would have to replace thing that holds the visor up b/c it kept falling down, but other than that I was excited, I really didn't like the color anyway and wanted to paint it black so I was like hell with it. I'm gunna get it.

After taking it to my dad's work and having him check it out and then me checking it out for things I found online to look for it looked in good shape.

A few weeks later is when the trouble started.

-my AC went out
-the whole front panel went out (w/ the defrost, air, heat, vents, clock, cig. lighter etc) it wouldn't even blow air, you could push the button as much as you wanted too and nothing would happen
-tire blew and as soon as I fixed it and turned on my car the check engine light came on and my speedometer, and odometer weren't working - it doesn't even show how many miles I've gone!
-belt broke
etc...

I finally took it into the shop after all that had happened and they fixed the AC, the front panel, and the belt - I was so excited, they were supposed to fix the speedometer and odometer and the check engine light but didn't. After they did that I talked to the guy in Subaru's service department and he told me "Look, I know you love your car, but when this car first came out it was a $35-40,000 car. The upkeep is expensive so you have to make sure you do it...and your car as some serious transmission issues. I know you love your car, but you need to trade it in" so instead of him saying he would fix it for this price he told me to trade it in. Is that weird to anyone else??

I dunno, I know I need a new trans and I want to get one, so does anyone know about how much it would cost me all together etc or any websites? I really love my car and I want to fix it, not only b/c I have no credit and can't get another car...but just b/c how many SVX's do you see on the road? Now seriously??

so please - reply or message me or something.

thx
Old 10-01-2005, 05:10 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Hi SvXchica and welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. The SVX really is a commitment, it's all or nothing. If you really love it you have to be in for the long haul, they are expensive to keep up. Once you decide to keep it forever, spending money on it doesn't really bother you as much. Other people will call you crazy and your mechanic will hate you. As for the transmission a rebuilt automatic will run you between 2-3k. Some one here can point you to a place who might install a 5 speed for you for around 1.5-2k if you would be interested in a manual transmission. Your speedometer proably isn't working because your spedometer sensor broke, this requires removing the transmisssion. So get a new tranny before thinking of getting that fixed. That would also explain the check engine light, it knows the spedometer sensor is bad. These cars need a lot of love and patience. Once you get to a certain point the repairs will become further and further apart. Be patient, read up (the experienced members of this site can save you a ton of $$$ and regret) and welcome.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
SvXchica

How is it that installing a manual transmission is cheaper than getting a new automatic one...? Should go to go my subaru dealership for that or how do I go about that? I would love to have a manual. And thanks for the info about the sensor, once I figure out what to do with my transmission I'll def. get that fixed if I decide to keep the car, which I really want too...but being a college student and already working 2 jobs, its kinda hard to save up that money :-\ blah... thanks for all your help!!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:01 PM
SVXist Pig

Welcome to SVX world (tranny woes, etc.). I'm a new owner and new to this site as well.

Search around here for a while and you'll come up with some really good information. You might consider doing a transmission swap from another Subaru model, such as a mid-90's Legacy L or Outback. I am in the process of getting one from an Outback. Either one will require you to get a new rear differential as well to match the tranny's final drive ratio*, but the whole total will still likely be less than a rebuilt SVX transmission. I'm looking at about $1500 installed for a 1997 Outback tranny with 25k miles and a 2001 Impreza 2.5RS diff with 84k miles.

5 speed swaps are more involved and require a little bit of custom fabrication. It could still end up being cheaper than a "new/rebuilt" SVX tranny because you will pay big $ for one from Subaru or another source. You can get used, low mileage auto and 5sp transmissions from junkyards for $400-800, and rear differentials from $100 - 300.

*SVX final drive = 3.545:1. Legacy L 2.2 or Impreza 2.2 auto final drive = 4.11:1. Outback, Forester and Impreza 2.5RS auto final drive = 4.444:1. The larger the number, the lower the gearing. The lower the gearing, the quicker your car will be from a start, but the more it will eat gas, the more it will rev on the highway, etc. svxfiles, one of the OG members here, has tons of experience with these swaps and has helped me quite a bit.

Search for things like "transmission swap" and you'll come up with some good info.

Also, your sig line is a little cheezy for the crowd here. Sorry, but I had to say it.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:13 PM

other things to look for

As was previously stated, the SVX is a car in which almost every one has the same problems. The transmission is faulty on almost every SVX (especially the 1992 models, like mine) due to high heat output, poor coolant flow, and high overdrive. So when you do get your new transmission (if you still decide to), make sure to get a transmission cooler installed at the same time. You can get one for around $100. Also, if you decide to replace your old transmission with another 4-EAT (like you currently have), see about getting a Shift Kit put on it. You can get one of those for about $50. As for getting a manual tranny put into it, I wouldnt reccomend goign to a nearby Subaru dealer to get that done, as they will probably highly overcharge you. Look around this site for information on that, its in nearly every forum. Some of the other problems almost every SVX has are the wheel bearings fail, the rotors will warp under heavy braking (due to the weight of the car, and the fact that Subaru put in rotors that couldnt take the pressure), and then a few cosmetic things as well, such as the sun visors (which you have already found out the hard way), and some of the interior buttons. Parts for this car are not cheap by any means either. Please take all of these things into consideration before deciding whether or not you want to keep yours or not, because it might end up costing you alot more down the road. When I bought my SVX, I was really only aware of the transmission problems, but my transmission had just been rebuilt. But when other things started to go wrong, I found out the hard way how tough these things can be to maintain (I'm a college student too, and I understand what your going through). Think about all of this before making your descision.

Last edited by dwd1985; 10-02-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:13 PM
SvXchica

I'm confused...

But, see I don't understand any of that, at all. I'm a 19 yr old female. None of my friends really know anything either. If Subaru is going to over charge me like mad how do I get the right one for the right price with the right mileage and how to I get it installed? Go to a local place in town with a good reputation and have them help me? I dunno...I'm so lost.

p.s. thx for your honesty ;-) I changed it now.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz541
svxfiles, one of the OG members here, has tons of experience with these swaps and has helped me quite a bit.
Old Guard?
Old Guy?
Oscar thr Grouch?
On Gaurd?
Organ Grinder?
Old Gringo?
Omnipotent God?
OG; troglodite?

Oh, Goody!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-01-2005, 07:18 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Old Guard?
Old Guy?
Oscar thr Grouch?
On Gaurd?
Organ Grinder?
Old Gringo?
Omnipotent God?
OG; troglodite?

Oh, Goody!
Original gangsta

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yeah, get your SVX up to that gansta, SVXFiles....he'll fix you up for a price that can't be beat north or south of the Mason-Dixon
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
When it comes to parts search ebay. A lot more used parts available now. I've noticed a number of transmissions listed lately. Search: Subaru +svx
A local shop should be able to swap transmssions for you without having to resort to the dealer. Most dealer techs hate working on cars over 4-5 years old and will be sure to charge all the money.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the site. I hope you can get things fixed so you can enjoy the car again. Good Luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 10-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
If you do ANYTHING at all, be nice to the throttle until the necessary work is done to keep it running reliably.
No mods or sound systems until you get it purring like a very large kitten (:

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:55 AM
SVXist Pig

Sheesh. My NASIOC is slipping.

OMGHI2UTITTYWOP!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz541
Sheesh. My NASIOC is slipping.

OMGHI2UTITTYWOP!!!
Yeah but on SVXN we got lockers, and she has pics in there.

<.<

>.>

*coughbabecoughhackweez*

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 PM
SvXchica

what? im so lost... lol isn't that what a locker is for?