How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-02-2005, 08:17 PM
adrenaline10

head unit help

so i'm having an issue....i want to put an aftermarket cd player, rockford head unit into the car, but there aren't brackets available for this? i can't find anything, anywhere, i've done advance auto parts, i've done walmart, i've done the car audio stores, nobody knows what to put in here.
am i missing something completely.
any help?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:21 PM

assuming it's a DIN/ISO unit (which I think all of the Rockford's are), the stock cage used in the SVX just bolts right up, no need for a kit. If you need a pocket on the bottom I think I used one from a late model Mustang (but you might want to check - basically a any DIN mount pocket will work).
Old 07-02-2005, 08:34 PM
adrenaline10

i think the stock cage was removed with the stock head unit when he put a pioneer head unit.....or maybe he used it with that, but now i don't see that either.
frustrating.
there's nothing out there for this damn car.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:25 PM

In which case I'd go looking for the cage from someone parting out their car. There can't be that much call for a cage so I expect it wouldn't be hard to find. I know where two are in junk yards around me and all Subarus are a bit rare in FLA.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:51 AM
adrenaline10

thanks, got all that, now i need the right wiring harness because apparently the one from the old car, isn't the right one for the new car.
i hate this crap, lol
Old 07-03-2005, 08:27 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...wiring+harness

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline10
i think the stock cage was removed with the stock head unit when he put a pioneer head unit.....or maybe he used it with that, but now i don't see that either.
If your car still has the big "audio cover door" that matches the dash trim and hides the double-DIN radio stack, then you still have the stock cage -- the door is attached to the cage.

See my SVX Audio Installation Guide for pictures and everything you need to know.

Quote:
now i need the right wiring harness because apparently the one from the old car, isn't the right one for the new car.
You lost me there. All SVXs have used the same 20-pin radio harness plug.

Did the previous owner cut the SVX's stock radio plug? If so, then you need to decide whether you want to restore your SVX to stock and get a wiring adaptor (the mating plug that connects to it) -- recommended, or just hard-wire your new head unit's wiring harness in place of the Pioneer's. If you do the latter and ever want to change radios again, you'll have to mess with the wires inside your dash again.

Compare what's in your car to the pictures in my guide. If your SVX now has something other than the stock radio plug or a Pioneer harness, send a picture and I can recommend what do to.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:55 PM
adrenaline10

okay, the stock is a 20 pin and that's what's in there, but i can't find a wiring harness that goes from that 20 pin to the damn radios head unit....the head unit is not a 20pin
so that's where i am.
none of the car audio shops around here, or wal mart, autozone, vip, carquest, advanceautoparts, etc, none of them carry this f-in plug.
any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Short answer: for a wiring adaptor that will plug into the SVX's stock radio harness, see this link:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6530

(that's the same link that soobiesvx93 posted above). There is also a link to that from my SVX Audio Installation Guide, which I gave a link to above. When I said that had "everything you need to know" I wasn't kidding .

Not sure if you're aware of this, but in case not: Every different head unit manufacturer uses a different plug on the radio side. (Nearly) every different car manufacturer uses a different harness on the car side. You'll need two pieces to wire your new Rockford:
  1. A Rockford harness (which should have come with that radio; replacements are obtainable if, say, you bought it used and the seller didn't include it), and
  2. An SVX "wiring adaptor" (harness that connects to the car's factory harness). I'm the only person who makes these. See the above link to get one.
You will then need to solder or crimp those two harnesses together.

Read my guide. It's all in there!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 PM
adrenaline10

i have the plug from the back of the rockford, i have the plug from the car, they don't match, i need a plug from one to the other.
that's where i'm at.
i'll figure it out, thanks everyone
Old 07-04-2005, 07:51 AM

Well if you have the plug from the SVX and the one from the Rockford you have two choices:
1) Cut the plugs off at the base of each plug (not at the headunit) and splice the wires together
or
2) Buy the wiring harness from SVXdc, as he is the only one who makes them (at least on a "commerical" basis) and simply plug them together*

*The better option of the two choices
Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 AM
adrenaline10

nobody local or around here makes them?
no companies make them and sell them like every other model car?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
that's almost correct....SVXdc is the only source....and he hand makes them, and at the price he charges, I'm guessing he is donating his time to assemble & ship.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
I'm sure you could purchase the materials to make them youself, but the time and effort would more than likely be worth more than $15. If some other companies made them, then I'm sure that SVXdc wouldn't have started making them for the rest of us. Why reinvent the wheel for a few bucks.

If you're cheap, then splice the cables. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, then order it from SVXdc and save yourself some headache and time. I bought 2 from him and I'm very happy with them. I keep a spare around just in case he quits making them one day.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 PM

I just got one a week or so ago, and it will be a month or so before I replace the stereo, will probably order a second one to have on hand for the same reason as Noir's.....again it's Well Worth The Money!