How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 12:05 AM
justiceSVX

I can't reply or I'll get reprimanded or banned. Sorry.

>steps out, without making a comment on the close minded ignorance<
Old 01-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I think it's a pretty car.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Wasn't Bricklin the guy who first imported Subaru's to the US?
BINGO! You win the prize - sorry Ron, but you did not state the connection . And Mr. Bricklin also inported (and sent a lot of folks to the cleaners again) the YUGO. And these days, he is looking to import a car from China.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

In the Car & Driver test of the '05 Legacy 2.5 GT (Oct '04), their test car weighed in at 3402lbs
Chike,
i've seen the Leg GT specs listing it as 3200lbs (without fluids?) - but upon further searching, i see some sites show it as around 3400lbs. Subaru officially lists it as 3300lbs. i guess its not as big of an issue as i believed, but still a bit lighter.

the Leg is also about $3000 cheaper than the MS6, which would allow you put on some STi pink springs, get a Cobb Stage1, and replace the craptastic RE-92's (which kill it in the magazine tests - they are THAT bad. despite all the accident posts blaming the RE-92's on NASIOC, they really are horrible - replaced them on the wife's WRX within 4000 miles.)

don't get me wrong - i really do like the MS6 and S60R, but they are just not quite there as far as what i'd want in a car. i think what would be everything i'm looking for (within reason) would be a Legacy STi or WRX STi with an SMG gearbox. future offereings from all manufacturers will be interesting as a lot more AWD turbo cars are coming to market. the future looks good.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide

Harry,
Yeah, you've been "off site" for too long!
What's this I hear about you thinking about getting a Bricklin? ("thread-jacking" aside...)...Are you also thinking about a DeLorean?
-Bill
Bill, Ron, and Chike,
Yep, been thinking about a Brick, but a good one is now close to $20K - emphasis on "good". And Ron, speaking of yellow Bricklin's, there is one in Herndon, VA with a blown engine I looked at. It is "slightly" modified with a Ford 9" rear end, completely revamped suspension, brakes, etc. It needs all of that, because the fellow installed a 460 C.I. Cobra Jet V-8, putting out over 500 HP. The engine was blown at Summit Point Raceway last summer (June). It lost oil pressure and a rod excaped from the engine block via the side. He wants $15K for the car as is. Can't really see it at this point.
I have been wanting a change in cars, but I am having a hard time deciding to sell the SVX. Just can't part with it, and I know I won't find another one later (when I come to my senses) in as good of shape as this one - remember, five years ago it only had 9K miles on it. Today, 70K.
But there are lots of good car out there that have "interest" by being a little different. The Bricklin is REALLY different, and the quality control with them was not the best by a long shot. Maybe I'll just find me an old Saab Sonett with the v-4 engine (don't tell anyone, but the v-4 engine was a FORD).
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
Chike,
i've seen the Leg GT specs listing it as 3200lbs (without fluids?) - but upon further searching, i see some sites show it as around 3400lbs. Subaru officially lists it as 3300lbs. i guess its not as big of an issue as i believed, but still a bit lighter.

the Leg is also about $3000 cheaper than the MS6, which would allow you put on some STi pink springs, get a Cobb Stage1, and replace the craptastic RE-92's (which kill it in the magazine tests - they are THAT bad. despite all the accident posts blaming the RE-92's on NASIOC, they really are horrible - replaced them on the wife's WRX within 4000 miles.)

don't get me wrong - i really do like the MS6 and S60R, but they are just not quite there as far as what i'd want in a car. i think what would be everything i'm looking for (within reason) would be a Legacy STi or WRX STi with an SMG gearbox. future offereings from all manufacturers will be interesting as a lot more AWD turbo cars are coming to market. the future looks good.
Alan,

The thing with the Legacy 2.5GT is that it's very hard to get one out the door for under 28K (ask Shelfy what he paid for his), as it comes with a menu list of options that can easily raise the price into the mid 30's. Mazda is offering the MS6 in two versions (sport & touring) and is making almost everything standard (6 disc cd changer, etc.). As a result, a person could walk off the street and drive away in a Sport version (starts at $27,995.00) for under 29K including destination charge, dealer fees, etc.

The MS6 is still about 40hp less than I'd want in a true turbo'd awd sedan, but it definitely has the equipment to make it much faster for little $$$.

A Legacy STI would be amazing, my only hesitation would be $$$ as base Legacy's are already in the same pricing class as the MS6.

The future does look good for auto enthusiasts...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Hater

Quote:

Alan,

The thing with the Legacy 2.5GT is that it's very hard to get one out the door for under 28K (ask Shelfy what he paid for his), as it comes with a menu list of options that can easily raise the price into the mid 30's. Mazda is offering the MS6 in two versions (sport & touring) and is making almost everything standard (6 disc cd changer, etc.). As a result, a person could walk off the street and drive away in a Sport version (starts at $27,995.00) for under 29K including destination charge, dealer fees, etc.

The MS6 is still about 40hp less than I'd want in a true turbo'd awd sedan, but it definitely has the equipment to make it much faster for little $$$.

A Legacy STI would be amazing, my only hesitation would be $$$ as base Legacy's are already in the same pricing class as the MS6.

-Chike
i believe Shelfy has the GT Limited trim - the GT gives up the power-leather seats/trim, and power moonroof. the regular GT has an MSRP of $26k, but you can get them at invoice.

doesn't really matter, though - its trivial, but the inability to put in an aftermarket stereo in the Legacy is a deal-breaker for me.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Certified Porschephile

Chike you and I have seen eye to eye on many things. I have no idea who this justice guy is. But when I get Alan and Shadow to agree with me, I know I'm doing something right! Go back to page 1. I said it's a nice car, but I dread the "ford" factor. Look at your S60 R comments awhile back. I said it's nice, but I don't trust a ford product. Now some noob keeps calling me ignorant. I put up the unabridged factual numbers that show ford quality is a joke. Shadow seconded me. I'm fairly confindent I am being neither ignorant or arrogant. I have never told anyone here what to buy. I chose Subaru and Nissan after many years of Oldsmobiles. I looked at numbers and comments from numerous auto mags and consumer groups when it came to getting my first true 4x4 SUV. The Pathfinder and 4Runner were the tops in everyone's book. So that's all I shopped. If you liked a Grand Cherokee, and could live with all the numerous minor issues, then good for you. Again, it's part of being an American.

P.S. Pointing out a company sells better cars over seas, when they are considerd a US company, doesn't get said company off the hook for neglecting it's core consumers.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Chike you and I have seen eye to eye on many things. I have no idea who this justice guy is. But when I get Alan and Shadow to agree with me, I know I'm doing something right! Go back to page 1. I said it's a nice car, but I dread the "ford" factor. Look at your S60 R comments awhile back. I said it's nice, but I don't trust a ford product. Now some noob keeps calling me ignorant. I put up the unabridged factual numbers that show ford quality is a joke. Shadow seconded me. I'm fairly confindent I am being neither ignorant or arrogant. I have never told anyone here what to buy. I chose Subaru and Nissan after many years of Oldsmobiles. I looked at numbers and comments from numerous auto mags and consumer groups when it came to getting my first true 4x4 SUV. The Pathfinder and 4Runner were the tops in everyone's book. So that's all I shopped. If you liked a Grand Cherokee, and could live with all the numerous minor issues, then good for you. Again, it's part of being an American.
PA_SVX, we have seen eye-to-eye and I do take your comments, backed up by Alan and Shadow, to heart. I do know, however, that Ford quality isn't all that shoddy as I had a trouble-free ownership of a '00 SVT Lightning.

-Chike

P.S. BTW, I love the black 928 in your sig. I was checking out a few on Ebay the other day and they're really amazing cars! Hope you get one soon!

Last edited by Chiketkd; 01-08-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Certified Porschephile

Thank you Chike. 2 things about your last post and I'm done with this.

1. You had a ford TRUCK. I doubt you would have loved your ford Taurus sedan.

2. The beautiful 928 is courtesy of my fellow Porsche-phile mentor, Mr. Landshark!

P.S. I WILL own a Black 928 S4 someday. Wife doesn't read this board anyway....

P.P.S. Alan is just 4 posts away from the big 5,000!!!!!

Last edited by Royal Tiger; 01-08-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Hater

Quote:
In regards to Justice, let's see...he's from purgatory (i.e. hell), joined in Nov '04, and doesn't mention his real name??? Kinda sounds like someone who's been banned from here before, eh?
Boonchicash, is that you?

here's a test: Neon's sure are junk!

<waits for test results.........>

Old 01-08-2005, 03:51 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid

Yeah but the slowest Vette still costs 20k more than the Mustang.
And that is why I put "competitor" in quotes... The Stang really has it's own little class that makes it feel special, because nothing else is really in that class. The only thing you could slightly compare a Stang to is the Corvette, especially so now that the Camaro is gone.

Quote:

The base model MazdaSpeed 6 weighs 3580lbs, and has 50hp more than our beloved SVX. Also, the gearing on the MS6 is a close-ratio performance configuration with only one overdrive gear:
Close-ratio gearing doesn't mean anything if the final-drive is so high that the power output won't be able to overcome it. Sounds similar to the SVX to me...

Quote:

Mazda is offering the MS6 in two versions (sport & touring) and is making almost everything standard (6 disc cd changer, etc.).
Well, doesn't this sound similar, once again, to the SVX. I hope it takes off better than the SVX did.

Quote:

The MS6 is still about 40hp less than I'd want in a true turbo'd awd sedan, but it definitely has the equipment to make it much faster for little $$$. <snip>
I have to agree with you on those points. If the MS6 gets popular, it will have good potential.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
I have to agree with you on those points. If the MS6 gets popular, it will have good potential.
Time will tell what kind of aftermarket support the car gets...

Vishnu performance is a big tuner in the Lancer Evo world, and originally started out by modding Miatas. The owner, Shiv Patak, also offers upgrades for the STI and 911 Turbo.

-Chike

Old 01-08-2005, 06:04 PM

More info: engine output curves...

From the official Mazda release during the Sept, '04 Paris Motor Show:

"Mazda6 MPS Output and Torque Performance Curves

The combination of direct injection and the turbocharger turns performance in the range where conventional turbocharged engines are considered weak into a point of appeal, while delivering entirely new value to the use of turbo engines.

Increased low to mid-range torque: The internal cooling effect when fuel injected directly into the combustion chamber at pressures as high as 11.5 mPa vaporizes inside the chamber improves the loading efficiency of the fuel mixture. This increases torque by up to 10 percent at around 3,000 rpm, which realizes easy to control torque in the low to mid range.

Outstanding engine response: The internal cooling effect within the combustion chamber increases the load volume under initial acceleration, causing a linear increase of rotation speed of the turbocharger's compressor blades. As a result, the turbocharger's blower starts adding substantial boost soon after the accelerator is pressed, at around 2,500 rpm.

A single turbocharger covers all speeds: The merits of the direct injection system noted above make effective boost possible from low through high speeds using a single-scroll turbocharger, which is light in weight and simple in construction. The thermal capacity of the exhaust system is thereby greatly reduced, minimizing the decrease in temperature of exhaust gases to help comply with strict emission regulations.

Fast catalytic heat-up: Injecting an atomized spray of fuel directly into the combustion chamber causes a remarkably fine fuel mixture to form around the spark plug, which prevents misfire. This allows the ignition timing to be delayed without risking misfire, making it easy to maintain the temperature of the exhaust gases. The higher temperature means the catalytic converter heats up more quickly after the engine is started for greater efficiency that makes it possible to clear strict emissions regulations.

High compression ratio contributes to improved fuel economy: The internal cooling effect within the combustion chamber improves anti-knock characteristics and improves the engine's fuel economy without losing low-end torque, even running at a high compression ratio. The MZR 2.3 DISI TURBO engine can therefore adopt the relatively high compression ratio for a turbo engine of 9.5:1 to contribute to improved fuel economy.

The form and materials used for the respective components are optimized to bear the added load and heat of the increased output. The cylinder block and cylinder head are made using a new implementation of the Advanced Precision Mazda Casting process, which increases their strength. In addition, cross drilling between the block liners and between the valve bridges on the cylinder head improves resistance to heat. The crankshaft and connecting rods are made of steel, the diameters of the connecting pins increased, the shape of the rods optimized, full floating pistons introduced, and made to ensure that all moving parts are stronger, more rigid and more durable.

Special effort was made in the tuning of the exhaust to optimize torque output and present an appealing exhaust tone that heightens the Zoom-Zoom driving experience. The shape and size of the inner diameter of the exhaust pipes and the internal structure of the silencer produces a throaty, sporty sound when accelerating from a standing start or from a low speed, and a pleasing linear curve at high engine speeds. The exhaust system also adopts a tailpipe with attached diffuser that enhances the sporty appearance.

An electronic throttle and an electronically controlled turbo boost system deliver a superior balance between refined, linear acceleration and lively, aggressive response with the relatively high-torque from low speeds produced by the direct-injection engine."

-Chike

Old 01-08-2005, 06:18 PM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Now some noob keeps calling me ignorant.
First off, I'm not a noob. Secondly, I never called you ignorant. When you used the "if it was so good, why's it not being made anymore?" argument, I called that argument ignorant, because it is. There are hundreds of great cars that are no longer being produced, and according to your own argument, they must all suck. I then stated you're ALLOWED to be ignorant, if you choose to be. You meaning anyone. This is a free country. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And people can also selectively pick their reasons and examples to help back up their own opinion... however, I think having a preconcieved opinion and ignoring anything to the contrary is pretty ignorant, but guess what? That's my opinion.

Quote:
Shadow seconded me.
So? Shadow is also obviously a gigantic GM fan. Anything anti-ford comments would obviously get his support.... because of that fact, I really don't see how him siding with you is helping your argument. If ANYTHING, you should find someone who's a gigantic ford fan, and get them to agree with all your points. That would hold some merit.

Again, I'm not calling you ignorant, arrogant, or any other words, just trying to clear stuff up. I have not called you ignorant or arrogant either. If it was interpretted that way, I'm sorry.