How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 PM
nismo887

Can I "turn off" the AWD

Some guys at Les Swab were telling me, that since I have one of those weeny spare tires, that when i put it on I need to pull a fuse to disable the AWD. Reason being that having the small tire on there would screw my car up.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I think its ok as long as you dont drive it that way for too long.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-05-2005, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Thought I've heard this as well, when the spare is used its supposed to be in fwd only mode by putting the fuse in.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
does it seems logical to you to remove the AWD fuse while driving on spare? does it say that in the SVX manual?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Thought I've heard this as well, when the spare is used its supposed to be in fwd only mode by putting the fuse in.
That's correct; putting IN the fuse holds the car in front-wheel drive. For normal, AWD operation, remove the fuse.

And if you must use the space-saver spare, which is intended for emergency use only, mount it in the rear and get a "real" tire back in place ASAP.

dcb
Old 01-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Ok guys, what are the effects of putting a fuse and using only the FWD for traction? any effect?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 AM

You'll get better traction in AWD. And smoking the front wheels is probably detrimental to the health of the front differential.

dcb
Old 01-05-2005, 08:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear
Ok guys, what are the effects of putting a fuse and using only the FWD for traction? any effect?
I'f im not mistaken your fuse is for Diff. Lock not FWD because yours is not a USDM spec car. Consider your self lucky though. Your tranny is much better than the USDM one since you have a 35/65 torque split insted of 90/10.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiz

I'f im not mistaken your fuse is for Diff. Lock not FWD because yours is not a USDM spec car. Consider your self lucky though. Your tranny is much better than the USDM one since you have a 35/65 torque split insted of 90/10.
how do you know that? come on somebody tell me!!! I do not know where my car came from or what are its specs !!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
You'll get better traction in AWD. And smoking the front wheels is probably detrimental to the health of the front differential.

dcb
I'd consider it much more detrimental to the transfer clutch's health. With the FWD fuse in, no hydraulic pressure can be applied to the clutch, so the plates just spin against eachother. Burn, baby, burn!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I'd consider it much more detrimental to the transfer clutch's health. With the FWD fuse in, no hydraulic pressure can be applied to the clutch, so the plates just spin against eachother. Burn, baby, burn!
Yikes; that sounds bad. I said "probably" about the diff because that seems to be a prevailing opinion. Thankfully, I wasn't relating personal experience.

SilverSpear: Sorry... it often slips my mind that not everyone here's located in North America.

dcb
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Can I "turn off" the AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by nismo887
Some guys at Les Swab were telling me, that since I have one of those weeny spare tires, that when i put it on I need to pull a fuse to disable the AWD. Reason being that having the small tire on there would screw my car up.
If the spare tire is a different diameter than the normal tire, then (for once) the guys at Les Schwab are correct. You'll definitely want to put the car in FWD mode. Otherwise, you'll smoke the center diff clutch.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Using the spare tyre.

If the spare is at 60 psi, it will be the same diameter as the normal tyres. So it won't make any difference. The only caution is to limit the speed and distance that you drive, for the tyres sake only.

In the VTD version that Danny has, you can't turn off the AWD, you can only lock the center diff into 4WD, so both versions are designed to run the spare without any trouble.

I reckond that the US version would be in more danger of hurting the front diff, by using the fuse, than hurting the Transfer clutch plates.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Using the spare tyre.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
I reckond that the US version would be in more danger of hurting the front diff, by using the fuse, than hurting the Transfer clutch plates.
In normal driving, I'd agree that using the fuse wouldn't damage the transfer clutch any more than when the system is operating normally. It is, after all, designed to slip constantly - for tens of thousands of miles, even. But wouldn't spinning the front tires cause exceesive slipping in the transfer clutch plates, damaging them? Or do you tihnk they're designed for it, so they can take it?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Using the spare tyre.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

In normal driving, I'd agree that using the fuse wouldn't damage the transfer clutch any more than when the system is operating normally. It is, after all, designed to slip constantly - for tens of thousands of miles, even. But wouldn't spinning the front tires cause exceesive slipping in the transfer clutch plates, damaging them? Or do you tihnk they're designed for it, so they can take it?
Hi Nick, well they did fit the fuse for purpose of runnng it on a two wheel dyno for emissions testing. So it can take some 100% slipage. But spinning the front wheels is a no no. I mean it is cheaper to replace the transfer clutch plates, than a front diff,

I'm smiling, because the VTD can't have this problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.