How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-31-2004, 01:29 PM
RobSVX

VSS2 Mechanics not what i expected ?

OK, so I'm replacing my VSS2. I pull the solenoid out and expect to see a 'T'... but not the case. Instead there's nothing there. I look into the butt end of the soleniod and see a 'square' drive hole inside (about an inch). Mmm, so I look and lying in the Tranny hole is a 'pin' with one end having the straight 'square' male peg that would fit the solenoid 'square' drive hole... and the other end looking like a drill bit with a broken end. I assume it shouldn't be twisted off. This peg is only about 1" inch long.
I pick it up (its just lying there). Then, I look into the Tranny hole and there's a rubber seal with the other end of the twisted drill bit piece poking thru about 1/8". This seal is only about 1/2" down in the hole.

Does that seal pull out with that broken drill bit piece or is that a no-no ?

I read someplace that pulling the shaft can cause a piece to drop in the tranny - I don't want that. I already know the crappy design not allowing me to pull the shaft with the gear out.
Is that the shaft head or something I can pullout ?

How that piece got twisted is freaky since it would require a spinning motion below and a stopping above. Even if the sensor froze-up, its bending metal like that ?

Any thoughts on what I've got here ?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I believe it's just the cap that goes on top of the sensor it is part of the sensor it just popped off when you pulled it out. The drill bit is the other end of the T. It sounds like you lucked out and broke the sensor and not the gears. Pull that cap out and you should find the t shaped piece. If you take a flathead screwdriver and put a mark on it so you can see if it spins, put it where the t shaped piece was you can drive the car a couple feet(make sure there is nothing behind or in front of you) this will tell you if the speedo gears are still working. Good luck

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-31-2004, 09:07 PM
RobSVX

Thanks

Ah, that makes sense. Also a good way to tell if my speedo gear works.
I'll pull the cap tomorrow and find out !

Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's not broken. When you remove the VSS that piece will probably remain in the tranny. You should be able to pull it out and you will see either a flat screwdriver type end on it or a T. I can't remember which is which now. One style is for the SVX and one style for the WRX but they are interchangable.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 PM
RobSVX

Yeah, apparently my VSS2 seized up and the little brass rod with the 'T' twisted and snapped. Basically, the sensor exploded in the Tranny hole, so I wasn't sure what the sensor looked like till I got another good 'used' one.
The parts weren't easy to dig out since they're non-ferrous and thus, not magnetic... I was fishing them out with fingers in a cramped space.
Anyway, I installed it and the new sensor does work. I once again have a Speedo, no more CE Code 33 and no more flashing Power light... Woohoo !

Also replaced an 02 sensor (used as well) and ridded myself of my Check Engine 32 and 56. Not sure Y the EGR code popped up, but guess its due to the bad O2.

Anyway, so far... so good :}