Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Angry Shifty Mechanic messes w/ car. Now:No heater, coolant leaking, engine temp higher.

Ok, Had a PS hose break out of town, and I took it to a mechanic that the local Napa adviced. UnfortunatelyI found out after the fact from everyone else I knew in that town, that the guy I took it to was a nutcase, terrible mechanic, and very likely to sabotoge the car so I would continuously come back for more repairs.

Now I have PS, but opening my hood, Coolant is leaking from somewhere. its on the belt cover, and a few other things at the top front of the car. opening the radiator cap, I can see all the fins, and no fluid. I fill it to the top w/ water and coolant, and drive it for a while, its all good. but it keeps going down. For some reason my coolant resevoir stays full, even though my radiator gets low.

Next!

I believe my engine running temp has gone up alot too. If I remember correctly, it was usually around an eighth of the scale from cold to over heat. now it bisects the gauge 1/2 & 1/2. What do you people have normally on that gauge?

Next!

My heater is now sporatic, which is what spurned this email(cant defrost the windshield). After the car has completely heated up, Im still blowing cold air. but its sporatic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Suggestions on what to do? I would like to do as much as I can myself, being the poor pathetic bastid I am. Thats for what ya can give!

James
Old 12-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Hater

Re: Shifty Mechanic messes w/ car. Now:No heater, coolant leaking, engine temp higher

Quote:
Originally posted by zavikan

Suggestions on what to do? I would like to do as much as I can myself, being the poor pathetic bastid I am. Thats for what ya can give!

James
first, take a tire iron to the mechanic's shop and beat him until he's half dead. then fix the car yourself, or take to a reliable mechanic.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-27-2004, 04:25 PM

Would if I could

but he's bigger and scarier then I am.

I plan on doing it myself, so keep that in mind for further advice. if I have to I'll drive it someplace else so a reputable shop.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Superbeast

Hay James. If there is a leak in the system it will not be able to suck from the resivior. And Obviously there is a leak in the system. You say it is on the T-belt cover or the alt/AC belt cover? The Radiator isn't cracked is it? Other than that there is only the upper radiator hose and a few T-body hoses on top ofthe motor.

I suppose CT. would be a bit of a drive for ya?

Let me know what you can see.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I'm pretty sure the engine temp gauge is supposed to be exactly in the middle. thats what i've seen and heard on mutiple SVXes.

as for the radiator, try to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. i'd check the top of the radiator which is known to crack as well what subafreak said.

i don't know about the heater. I'd call the mechanic up and ask if he could explain everything he did to the car... maybe hes not QUITE as crooked as people think and he was trying to fix something.. i dunno. worth a shot

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-28-2004, 02:28 PM

Ok. Day 2

I'll check out the radiator more today. slightly flexing the top radiator hose, I hear lots of cracking and snappings. not sounding so good. So I'll replace that, and see what goes. Seriously though, I've been in this town a week, and dozens, DOZENS of people have said "oh, Im sorry to hear that" after I've said I took it to this guy.

As for no heat. Suggestions on that one? it sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't. as with the coolant, which sometimes leaks, sometimes doesn't. Im not sure if they are related. Any things I can easily check to see if they are the problems? Thermostat? I dunno.... I'm not a mechanic, I merely play one on TV.....