Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 07:13 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder

Yeah. It's total Mustang sales.

From that perspective, a large group of 4 cylinder Mustangs destroyed the Camaro and Firebird.
My point was that the demographics of people buying a 4cyl Mustang are going to be very different from someone buying a Camaro/Firebird. Almost all afforable sportscars pretty much died around 97-99ish (3000GT, Supra, 300ZX, SVX) The Mustang survived because of it's lack of sportiness.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Shadow I think you nailed that point. The Camaro/Firebird of the late 80's early 90's smoked the rustang in performance, interior room, fit and finish, as well as ride, but cost more, so it sold less...

...That's because the $19k V-6 solid axel pos rustang will be the new champion of the secretaries and hairdressers of the world. Not to slight those of that profession, but the old V-6 rustang was not called a hairdressers dream for nothing.
Yes the V6 Mustang can be thanked for saving it's species, pretty much on it's own. V8 F-bodies outsold V8 Stangs every production year since 1969, despite their consistently higher price.

Interesting note, and yet another reason to like GM...notice as of now there is no V6 GTO (or corvette for that matter)...in 2007 the Camaro will return alongside the GTO and there will be NO V6 model. That is the way to do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
alot more power and cubic inches? sure. alot more steering feel (Vette steering "numb by comparison" per C&D), braking, handling, fit and finish, resale value, quality engineering for decades? nope.
The 911's advantages are minimal in each of those categories (disputable even, in some) yet it's price is still light years higher than the Vette.

Try again.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Possible 2007 Camaro:

Looks pretty retro to me. I guess this was drawn by a guy who has connections to GM designers.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 12-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

The 911's advantages are minimal in each of those categories (disputable even, in some) yet it's price is still light years higher than the Vette.

Try again.
we're back to price again. can you explain why i could go to Walmart and buy a $99 guitar, and a Gibson Les Paul cost $2000 or more? there are both made of wood and can make music. if all you are concerned about is price, a Porsche is not for you. apparently Car and Driver was hung up about the price, too -
"Numero uno is the price. Would we pay an extra five grand, over the Corvette, for the 911? That's a no-brainer; absolutely. Fifteen? Probably, but we'd have to think about it. Twenty? Well, you already know our answer: no." hey guys, guess what? people on a budget aren't going to buy it anyway, but they do say they'd take the 911 over the Corvette....up to a certain price. so is the 911 the better car, or is the review and exercise in bargain-shopping?

a Porsche is like an extension of your arms and legs. this is what you are paying for:
"We never found a patch of road that gave us even a whiff of that "Oh, %#$@!" feeling that precedes some type of midcorner correction or wheel sawing. Editor-at-large Pat Bedard calls this "path accuracy." At speed, how accurately can you place the car? With the 911, the answer is in fractions of an inch; with the Vette, it's in inches. This feeling likely is why the 911 went through the cones of our lane-change test 1.1 mph faster than the Vette. You can plant this car anywhere."
the way these things handle can't be put on paper. they give confidence, and back it up because you know exactly what it will do. priceless.

the Vette has been a sloppy rattle trap for decades. all of a sudden, a few years of supposed quality improvement is supposed to make me feel better about it? time will tell.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder
Possible 2007 Camaro:

Looks pretty retro to me. I guess this was drawn by a guy who has connections to GM designers.
the 2007 Camstang? Mustmaro?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Hey Shadow... the GTO is also outperformed by the mustang GT in acceleration. (thats a musclecars thing right??) Its also 8 grand cheaper, and gets better gas mileage...

just thought i'd throw that it for kicks

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Certified Porschephile

They have a comparo of the new 300hp rustang GT vs the new 400hp GTO and they picked the rustang. I couldn't believe the GTO wasn't that much ahead in acceleration. I think the only mistake they made was in price. The GTO needs to be under $30k. I'm still fuming over the WRX vs rustang article. 6.0 0-60 for a WRX? I'd take a WRX over a rustang when the WRX was cheaper, got substaintially better fuel milage, has 4 doors, and AWD. They go on to say the WRX has a miniscule trunk, 11.0 cubic feet. The rustang? 12.3. Oh that's so much larger.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Hater

Quote:
They go on to say the WRX has a miniscule trunk, 11.0 cubic feet. The rustang? 12.3. Oh that's so much larger.
you need the bigger trunk in the Rustang, because a grown human can't fit in the rear seats.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:31 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
I Love em! The commercial i like is the one where they dubbed Steve McQueen in!!! I think the car looks sweeet!!!
Hi John !!
thanks, ....me too
have you seen the new one yet called Anthem ?
and thanks for keeping to the subject

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 12-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Certified Porschephile

Dayle, we are keeping to the subject, the rustang. No one is talking about the SVX or pick up trucks. ford can promote that garbage anyway they want. They harp on the solid axel as important, but the SVT version will have IRS. Other then the GT name a ford CAR that is worth anything. focus? Taurus? Five Hundred? Please. All junk. Look up NHTSA recall information and see who has had the most recalls in the past 5 years. Here's a hint, It's not Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:33 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Dayle, we are keeping to the subject, the rustang. No one is talking about the SVX or pick up trucks. ford can promote that garbage anyway they want. They harp on the solid axel as important, but the SVT version will have IRS. Other then the GT name a ford CAR that is worth anything. focus? Taurus? Five Hundred? Please. All junk. Look up NHTSA recall information and see who has had the most recalls in the past 5 years. Here's a hint, It's not Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc...
Hater
the subject line is about a commercial for the all mighty
and conquering Mustang
btw....here on the west coast...they dont rust

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 12-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Certified Porschephile

Darn desert dwellers!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:47 PM

Quote:
we're back to price again. can you explain why i could go to Walmart and buy a $99 guitar, and a Gibson Les Paul cost $2000 or more?
But the Wal-Mart guitar would not OUTPERFORM the Les Paul.

Try Again.

Quote:
the Vette has been a sloppy rattle trap for decades. all of a sudden, a few years of supposed quality improvement is supposed to make me feel better about it?
You know I really love hearing your opinions, but they're getting very predictable. Try something different for once. Like facts.

Anyway, once again, the bottom line is that the "sloppy rattle trap" has bested your "arm/leg extender" 4 out of 6 times in Car & Driver's case. You can talk about PERCEIVED differences until you're blue in the face (and you will) but at the end of the day, on paper, the Porsche is in need of some refreshing if they want it to be "worth" the premium pricetag.

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
Hey Shadow... the GTO is also outperformed by the mustang GT in acceleration. (thats a musclecars thing right??) Its also 8 grand cheaper, and gets better gas mileage...
The 300hp Mustang could just barely hang with the 350hp GTO. It sure as hell ain't going to beat the current (400hp) model, and that's just the base GTO (wait until spring). But you are right...it's cheaper, and not that much slower.

Did I miss something here?

Quote:
They have a comparo of the new 300hp rustang GT vs the new 400hp GTO and they picked the rustang. I couldn't believe the GTO wasn't that much ahead in acceleration. I think the only mistake they made was in price. The GTO needs to be under $30k.
Not that much ahead? Well with 400 more pounds and a much beefier suspension, i'd say that the GTO really cleaned up. That's not bad at all. Considering that with the GTO you not only have the more comfortable, higher quality car, but you are also going faster...i'd say that's worth the $5000. Not to mention not having to deal with looking at the ugly face of that mustang. That alone is worth 5g's to me.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Not that much ahead? Well with 400 more pounds and a much beefier suspension, i'd say that the GTO really cleaned up. That's not bad at all. Considering that with the GTO you not only have the more comfortable, higher quality car, but you are also going faster...i'd say that's worth the $5000. Not to mention not having to deal with looking at the ugly face of that mustang. That alone is worth 5g's to me.

BAM I layed that trap for you... you're argueing the same thing, only not quite as well, as landshark did with the Porsche vs Corvette. You're using percieved value on a GTO that was SLOWER than the mustang for 8 grand MORE. PERIOD. "better quality interior" and "beefier suspension" and more comfortable and higher quality is all just "percieved" and most people like the mustang WAY better than the GTO in all stylistic comparisons. true, the new one will i think be slightly faster.. but its still 8 grand more (are the raising the price with the more powerful engine??). and in a head to head comparison... Ford won. (the 05gt to the 04 GTO)

can't you see how you're just siding on GM... whether you're taking the "cheaper and faster" with a corvette, or the "slower, and "better" with the GTO?????? please say you see this.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 12-16-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:15 PM

Quote:
BAM I layed that trap for you... you're argueing the same thing, only not quite as well, as landshark did with the Porsche vs Corvette.
OK EMERIL...before you go have a beer to celebrate your internet conquest...let's look at what i REALLY said....

Quote:
You're using percieved value on a GTO that was SLOWER than the mustang for 8 grand MORE.
First of all, here you are just completely wrong...

The 2004 GTO was faster than the 2004 Mustang Mach 1, and the 2005 GTO is faster than the 2005 Mustang GT.

So that right there just drops a depth charge on your submarine of fun, since my whole comment was based on the fact that the vette OUTPERFORMED the porsche for less money. So for your trap to have worked, the Stang would have had to OUTPERFORM the GTO for less, and it didn't.

Try again.

Quote:
"better quality interior" and "beefier suspension" and more comfortable and higher quality is all just "percieved"
True.

Quote:
and most people like the mustang WAY better than the GTO in all stylistic comparisons.
Opinion.

In my experience, NO ONE likes the new Mustang. Oh wait, I do know one guy...he has a 2002 GT, he likes it. Other than that, the only people i know that like the new design are on the other side of magazines and TV screens.

Quote:
(the 05gt to the 04 GTO)
AHHH here's the secret to your trap. Technicality. Well then, shall we compare the C6 Vette to the previous generation 911? I'm sure you wouldn't like that, cause it wouldn't be pretty.

Quote:
can't you see how you're just siding on GM... whether you're taking the "cheaper and faster" with a corvette, or the "slower, and "better" with the GTO?????? please say you see this.
Ok...now....since we're through all that nonsense, i'll take a real hard look at myself.

....looking....

...hmmm....

...nope, still right. Sorry.

Yes I am biased toward GM products, just as Alan is biased towards Porsche and the large part of this board is biased towards Subaru. However, I do take a 99% objective approach to this sort of argument. Here's the facts...

C6 vs. 911 - C6 was cheaper and still won.

04 GTO vs. 04 Stang - Stang was cheaper and LOST.

05 GTO vs. 05 Stang - Stang was cheaper and LOST.

So, in conclusion, looking at the results of the performance of these cars, you can't really say i'm biased (not knowing me). Obviously if I was talking simply about which one I like better because "I just like it better", that would be a different story.

Thanks for playing, feel free to try again (cause i know you will).