Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-21-2004, 05:23 PM
deruvian

Question Oil in teh intake plenum and vacuum/breather hoses!!??

Today I changed the oil in my car, checked the fluids, checked the air filter, etc... I was going to reattach the throttle body heater hoses, but the car was still too warm. I did, however, disconnect the intake plenum and breather/vacuum hoses. I noticed a little oil on the lines, and didn't think much of it - until I put my hand under the throttle body!

When I looked at my hand, I had oil all over my index finger. I looked at the throttle body and intake plenum more closely, and what do you know... A bunch of oil all over the place. In the boxy part of the intake plenum, just before the throttle body, there was literally a small pool of oil.

I noticed my oil dipstick starting to pop up again, which hasn't happened since I changed the PCV valve (which was a few months ago).

Does anyone know why this is happening? What can I do?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

You basically made my thread but with more words.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:46 PM

my dipstick is poping up

Change the O-ring. The oil in the intake boot I think is just blow by and puddles in the lower part. Why is there like freakin six hoses sprouting from the intake?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Oil in the inlet.

Oil up in the air inlet tube and box in front of the throttle bodies, has to come up the two hoses that run from the cam covers, on each side of the engine.

Why? there is too much pressure in the crankcase from piston blow-by. This pressure is normally releived by the PCV valve and the two breather hoses. One, both or all would have to be restricted or blocked, to push oil up to the air box.

The two cam cover hoses run to the air box, one on each side, but they don't enter there. They run through a small passage, in the bottom of the box, that joines the two together. They are then vented through a restricted hole to the air tube. This is where they can get blocked to build crankcase pressure.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Re: my dipstick is poping up

Quote:
Originally posted by alltrac
Change the O-ring. The oil in the intake boot I think is just blow by and puddles in the lower part. Why is there like freakin six hoses sprouting from the intake?
And the 6th one goes right back in.
Weird mans.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:33 PM
deruvian

Re: Oil in the inlet.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
Oil up in the air inlet tube and box in front of the throttle bodies, has to come up the two hoses that run from the cam covers, on each side of the engine.

Why? there is too much pressure in the crankcase from piston blow-by. This pressure is normally releived by the PCV valve and the two breather hoses. One, both or all would have to be restricted or blocked, to push oil up to the air box.

The two cam cover hoses run to the air box, one on each side, but they don't enter there. They run through a small passage, in the bottom of the box, that joines the two together. They are then vented through a restricted hole to the air tube. This is where they can get blocked to build crankcase pressure.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvey. I removed the two cam cover hoses and checked to make sure that they were clear, and they were. I didn't know about them being vented before entering the airbox. I will have to check it.

Do you know if it is common for PCV valves to have a short life span? I just replaced mine about 6 - 7,000 miles ago, and I thought that they were supposed to last longer than that.