How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Shot king

Quote:
An 80's spfi subaru will be reliable and will start every time.
i can attest to this . i have a Loyale and a gl-10 . I've had them both since i was 16, i'm 22 now and all i've changed has been the normal wear parts and those parts are just as cheap as they would be for any car and as Immortal said ya don't have to shovel the driveway. Go with the Suby.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Unstoppable

Well, when I do get a winter beater thats what I'm looking at. Most likely going to be a Loyale wagon.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 01-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
I've been over this 25,000 time\cause it's a hoax just like it always has been.
Damnit, he's right. I've been kidding myself for too long.

Screw subarus - I'm selling every one of them and buying a camaro tomorrow.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Unstoppable

Yet another domestic lover to a fault-wait, we already had this argument in another thread. Sorry.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 01-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Shot king

Thumbs up

Nice mines a sedan, but my friend just got a turbo wagon. Amazing the amount of cargo room in one of those babies
Old 01-18-2004, 04:33 PM

What baffles me, is the fact that one who doesn't own an SVX, has nothing good to say about the SVX, and would rather own a cavalier than an SVX, is still posting on these boards. If you don't like them that much then don't try to preach your domestic car views to people that could really give a rat's ass about domestic cars. Go find a GM or Ford forum.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 01-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Hater

Quote:
I've been over this 25,000 times it seems...but no one ever gets the point. I'll do it again for you fellas.

1992 SVX LS-L 135k. Mandi has had it for just over two years...in that time here are the repairs that have been done.

New pads and rotors all around $800
Left bank coil packs replaced $450
Two new starters (still not fixed) $400
Front catalytic converters replaced $750
Rear wheel bearings $300 (and they're going again)
Power steering rack replaced $450
Front crank seal $300
Timing belts $300
Three 4-wheel alignments $240
Rear struts and mounts replaced $550
Transmission mount replaced $260

Now that's just mechanical...(since I always hear complaining about poor GM interior quality) in the interior there are problems too.

Both doors sound like a can full of nails when closed.
driver's window needs external motivation to operate.
cigarette lighter lights up but refuses to work (fuse is fine).
visors (nuff said).
rear driver's quarter glass leaks.
rear defroster works sometimes.

<whispers>it sounds like she bought a beat up SVX.

i would have unloaded your gf's car a long time ago. no wonder you are so bitter.
i looked at two SVX's before i bought mine and passed on them. they were beat, owned by younger guys, and probably driven hard and barely maintained, if at all. they were cheap, but i'd probably end up paying more than the purchase price in repairs and maintenance catch-up. i was more interested in driving it than working on it constantly - i did that with the Lumina. the one i bought was meticulously maintained, and the owner had all receipts and records. my car is rock solid, even at speeds over 100mph (not that i would ever go that fast. ) there are people on here that have purchased SVX's with multiple owner histories for probably less than $3000, and now they are having their share of problems. SVX parts aren't cheap, but its not a frickin' Ferrari.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
Yet another domestic lover to a fault-wait, we already had this argument in another thread. Sorry.
Or maybe it's just someone who knows something you don't. I've heard many people say their love for foreign cars is their fault. Again, works both ways.

Quote:
Originally posted by petesvx2
What baffles me, is the fact that one who doesn't own an SVX, has nothing good to say about the SVX, and would rather own a cavalier than an SVX, is still posting on these boards. If you don't like them that much then don't try to preach your domestic car views to people that could really give a rat's ass about domestic cars. Go find a GM or Ford forum.
There's a reason I don't own an SVX...that should be obvious by now. The reason that I came to these boards was to get help for my girlfriend. I stayed because I found a bunch of guys who are able to discuss maturely many aspects of the car world in addition to their own cars. Obviously this was before you joined or else I may have thought differently.

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
<whispers>it sounds like she bought a beat up SVX.
Sharp as a tack as always. I should mention however that my GTP is far from a cherry. I'm the 5th owner and guessing by the paint, the car spent very little time under any kind of cover. So I still say that's a pretty fair comparison. Especially considering my car has one of the worst engines ever to be used in a GM vehicle. So it's not like i'm comparing one company's experiment to another's best model. That surely wouldn't be fair.

Also I have to mention that despite the GTP's shortcomings, and the problems with the SVX, they are still two of the greatest cars built in my mind. I have always loved Grand Prix's...since the beginning, and a few rides in the SVX made me a believer.

See, unlike my girlfriend...i'm a good sport.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:40 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
My neighbors snow blower and his cavalier sound pretty much the same. Cooincidence? I think not...

m

PS- My cavalier is a piece of sh!t.
Mike I thought I'd never see the day that you would say that your Cavalier is a peice of ****... I thought you loved that thing... I know I used to love mine till it **** it's self(engine seized) on me in the midle of a big snow storm and left me stranded!!! Now I hate all GM products with a passion... But you knew that already Mike...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Now I hate all GM products with a passion...
as much as i hate GM stuff, i'd buy one before i'd get a Ford or Chrysler product.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-18-2004, 10:20 PM

I'm with ya on the ford part man... But I think that I wouldn't mind another Jeep Cherokee... Mine worked flawlessly for nearly a year, then I sold it....

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Shot king

The thing ya gotta remember is the Subaru hes lookin to get is nothing compared to the SVX in repair costs and the reliability of these cars is what built Subarus reputation. There's enough of them around that used parts can be found easily and with the option of 4wd they really make an excellent beater. Much more sensible option than a domestic or an other foreign beater. How long these vehicles last is unreal. Anyone who owns a car from the GL/Loyale family can back me up on this one.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:

There's a reason I don't own an SVX...that should be obvious by now. The reason that I came to these boards was to get help for my girlfriend. I stayed because I found a bunch of guys who are able to discuss maturely many aspects of the car world in addition to their own cars. Obviously this was before you joined or else I may have thought differently.

As a matter of fact I consider myself very mature. You were the one crapping on the car that this site was made for in the first place. All I'm saying is that you might get a better response if you didn't crap upon the main ingredient of these forums.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Alright guys, lets not turn this into a scrap at eachother....

Old 01-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
as much as i hate GM stuff, i'd buy one before i'd get a Ford or Chrysler product.
I knew there was hope for you all along. My job is done here.

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
I'm with ya on the ford part man... But I think that I wouldn't mind another Jeep Cherokee... Mine worked flawlessly for nearly a year, then I sold it....
Ahh...but was that a Jeep Cherokee or Chrysler Cherokee? Big different cause the AMC jeeps were solid as stone.

Quote:
Originally posted by petesvx2
As a matter of fact I consider myself very mature. You were the one crapping on the car that this site was made for in the first place. All I'm saying is that you might get a better response if you didn't crap upon the main ingredient of these forums.
Of course you do. Like I just said, I don't expect anyone on this forum to sell their SVX for a Grand Prix because of me. I just have to remind everyone that there is no reason to consider domestic cars inferior just because they are domestic. Ford and Chrysler may not be where they should be in quality...and perhaps that's why American cars have bad reps...but most of GM's line has earned 5 star ratings in reliability for 5 years now...that makes them the equal of any foreign car in terms of reliability. In some cases, they are far better.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shot King
The thing ya gotta remember is the Subaru hes lookin to get is nothing compared to the SVX in repair costs and the reliability of these cars is what built Subarus reputation. There's enough of them around that used parts can be found easily and with the option of 4wd they really make an excellent beater. Much more sensible option than a domestic or an other foreign beater. How long these vehicles last is unreal. Anyone who owns a car from the GL/Loyale family can back me up on this one.
True. But i've heard equally bad stories about other subarus...I mentioned before about my aunt and her Imprezas...she thinks subaru is the worst car maker on the planet...that's how bad those two cars were. IT WORKS BOTH WAYS...is all i'm saying.

It works both ways.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: