How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2003, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
As an aside, since we are talking speed limits, back when I was in construction I used to listen to LOTS of talk radio. One of the local shows had a two day discussion on speed limits. One thing I learned from some folk involved in the process of setting speed limits is that before they set a limit for a road they monitor traffic for a time and keep track of the "comfort zone" speed most drivers travel on said road. they then average the speeds to come to the average speed most feel comfortable at. They then subtract 10 mph from that speed and there's your speed limit. If most people felt comfortable and responsible travelling at 35 mph the limit will be set to 25 mph. This is done to give the local government a source of income should the coffers get low.

No offense to members of this board (pa_svx) who are police officers but, to me, cops who sit at speed traps are nothing but uniformed tax collectors. I know officers who feel the same way. My ex-brother-in-law is a police officer for the local "big city". I've driven with him and had to follow him on occasion and it was almost impossible to keep up with his speeding, jumping the green lights (going while they are red before they turn green) and breaking every traffic rule as if they didn't exist. It scared the hell out of my wife and I when we followed him once to a function we were attending.

One of my fellow sys admins was a former officer as well and he quit that career due to the corruption and pressure that was put on him to be corrupt. He has no respect or tolerance for any police now. He pulled over the wife of an influential contributor to the policeman's fund for running a red light and ticketed her. His police chief mad his life a living hell because he refused to back down on the ticket he issued. After a year of this and other continued corruption he quit out of disgust. This is not an isolated incident in the local force he worked for. This happens all around the country in all cities and towns and I am sure most of us realise this and have the courage to admit it.

The GOB network the police and local celebrities have for themselves protects them from being subject to the same laws that you and I must abide by. The only reason you see those FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) badges on the license plates of officers and their family members is to advertise themselves to fellow members so they do not get ticketed like the rest of us. They serve no other purpose. I have been told this by officers in the past. I have even been given a "get out of jail free" card by a NJ state trooper once in return for a favor. Along with that card were the instructions to pull out the card if I ever get pulled over in Jersey and to tell the officer on duty that I am a friend of his.

Police should stick to stop sign/light runners, thiefs, kidnappers and murderers. Don't even get me started on the unconstitutional DUI checkpoints where everyone is presumed guilty until proven innocent.

I realise that not all officers are guilty of the corruption that goes on. However I feel that most are at one level or another. It is truly sad that any of us feel this way and I know I am not the only one who does.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I don't think anyone brought in GPS as evidence into our court systems yet. I would love to though.
remember lwin, technology is a double-sided blade. it can be used in your favor as well as against you. think on how this technology can be used against us if you bring it to light especially since more and more new cars are adding the option of GPS to their cars.

if you need some reference watch 5th element and check out the automatic point deduction system located in bruce willis's taxi.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:10 PM
Superbeast

Now that is scarry. You have to wonder thoe, when it will get to that point? All this talk of automated highways and such and all of us driving electric cars I guess you can't exceed the limit if the road regulates you speed

But even it the nearer future, we already have systems that can unlock or diagnose your car from satilite (OnStar). How long before before that technology is telling "law enforcment" what cars in their area are hedded their way at above limits?

It used to be you were save traveling in a group of cars exceeding the limit, after all they can't pull over everyone, but now that is exactly what they tell you when they pull you over. And if it's not that they have one car running radar and six others waiting in the on-ramp to pull everone over. Don't these guys have any REAL police work to do?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:09 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Suspicious

Just a half hour ago I was in my driveway waiting for my windows to unfog. I didn't want my headlights to shine in my neighbors window so I had them off and only had the parking lights on. A cop drives by and starts shining his spotlight on my car. He then stopped right past my driveway and waited. Meanwhile I'm squirting my rear windshield to try to clear it up. After I thought I could finally see, I backed out of my driveway and he left. Now I understand it was a little strange for someone to be sitting in their car at 11:00PM, but what good does it really do for him to shine his spot light and then wait for me to pull out. If I was stealing the car, he never would have known since he merely waited for me. There was clearly movement since I turned the wipers on a couple times and I was moving around inside the car. And he didn't follow me when I pulled out, he went the opposite direction. So I'm curious as to what the cop thought he was accomplishing exactly, besides making sure I got out of my driveway ok.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-29-2003, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Now that is scarry. You have to wonder thoe, when it will get to that point? All this talk of automated highways and such and all of us driving electric cars I guess you can't exceed the limit if the road regulates you speed

But even it the nearer future, we already have systems that can unlock or diagnose your car from satilite (OnStar). How long before before that technology is telling "law enforcment" what cars in their area are hedded their way at above limits?

It used to be you were save traveling in a group of cars exceeding the limit, after all they can't pull over everyone, but now that is exactly what they tell you when they pull you over. And if it's not that they have one car running radar and six others waiting in the on-ramp to pull everone over. Don't these guys have any REAL police work to do?
Very scary stuff indeed. A while back there was word that officials were toying with technology that could have required every car made to have a chip installed that would record every instance you exceeded the speed limit (speed, date, time). Even the location was tracked by sensors installed all over the road network that tracked and recorded where you were at what time by picking up a signal sent by the chip in your car (kind of like a speed pass). Then when you took your car in for inspection it would be read by big brother and tickets would be issued automagically and would be considerred irrefutable in court. I think they shelved the idea (at least temporarily) when it dawned on them that everyone would lose their licenses the first year out of the gate (including most of the geniuses behind the idea).

Very scary indeed. Who are the creeps that seriously think up this stuff? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:54 AM

Re: Suspicious

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Just a half hour ago I was in my driveway waiting for my windows to unfog. I didn't want my headlights to shine in my neighbors window so I had them off and only had the parking lights on. A cop drives by and starts shining his spotlight on my car. He then stopped right past my driveway and waited. Meanwhile I'm squirting my rear windshield to try to clear it up. After I thought I could finally see, I backed out of my driveway and he left. Now I understand it was a little strange for someone to be sitting in their car at 11:00PM, but what good does it really do for him to shine his spot light and then wait for me to pull out. If I was stealing the car, he never would have known since he merely waited for me. There was clearly movement since I turned the wipers on a couple times and I was moving around inside the car. And he didn't follow me when I pulled out, he went the opposite direction. So I'm curious as to what the cop thought he was accomplishing exactly, besides making sure I got out of my driveway ok.
They really do make you wonder what thoughts go on in their heads.

When I was doing drywall construction in Harrisburg I stopped by a job site hoping to catch my brother there. Instead I found a guy loading drywall tools and equipment into his trunk. I did not think much of it because hangers come and go and I did not know all the guys my brothers had working for them. Still, there was a nagging suspicion of this character so I wrote down his license plate and made a mental note of his description and vehicle. I then proceeded to my brothers house and inquired about the "new guy". He told me there was no new guy and that those were his tools the guy was stealing. We promptly called the cops and met them at the job site where the theft took place. I gave the detective all the information I had and they should have gone right to his house and caught him red-handed with the evidence. Did they? No.

Instead, fudge fingers decided to wait a day then call the guy on the phone and inquire if he stole equipment from a job site the previous day. I kid you not! The "detective" explained what he did to nab this guy and told my brother there was nothing he could do since the guy said he did not do it. Over the phone!!!! Did you ever hear of such total incompetence?? What brilliant work on behalf of the police. Why don't they just call all suspects and ask them if they committed crimes. Think of the fuel it would save by not driving out to the scene. Think of the court fees and money we would save by not housing prisoners any more since we would give them all a heads up to clear out their garages.

My brother got the "innocent because he said so" guy's address from the cop (???) and took a drive out there. He happened to know someone in the neighborhood and it was well known that the guy sold tools all the time out of his garage. Still the police did nothing.

Thank God no one was being raped, beaten or murdered. Worthless.

Last edited by CigarJohnny; 12-29-2003 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Certified Porschephile

I'm not going to say I've never sped in my life, but here is a simple tip to avoid the "uniformed tax collectors". Do the speed limit. I know it might seem like a radical idea, but there is probably no chance of losing your license for that! I'm being a little facitious here, but just keep in mind, most officers NEVER stop anyone for 10 over or less. I just can't see you defend doing 55 in a 35 and call it "corruption" and "income generation". There are standards set by every state on how speed limits are established. Just do no more then 10 over and stop crying about it. Attitude is the FIRST thing that is going to get you a ticket. I can't speak for all officers, but I give polite people breaks, jerks, get the full points allowed. There are officers who write everyone. Your best defense? Don't get stopped by one. Need we go into the good and bad in all lines of work discussion again? I've met more nasty doctors then officers in my life.

On a side note, anyone read Sport Compact Car??? The editor wrote an article about how he knew he couldn't make a U-turn, saw the signs, and turned anyway. He got caught and cried. Even said he would do it again and didn't care. Then bashes the officer for not giving him a break. Oh well. People who thumb thier noses at the law DESERVE the ticket. He make no excuses. Does he go into Home Depot and say he had a rough day and didn't mean to put a whole in the wall, so just give me the drywall for free??? DON'T THINK SO!!!!!! Double standard. You take your chances when you break the law. 90% of the time you get away with it. That 10% you get caught? Take it like a man, you knew the risks.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Good advice. Thanks

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 12-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I will respect the law when the lawmakers respect people, and when the laws make sense.

According to WI, going 11mph over the speed limit is 4 points. FOUR! And going 19mph over the speed limit is... FOUR POINTS.

WTF?! Yeah, that makes a lot of sense there, doesn't it?

Also, I'm not going to court wearing a suit Kelli. It's in buttcrack WI, so if you think I'm going to show up in a suit like some rich city boy, you're mistaken. I'm thinking I should comb my hair and act like a choirboy.

"Well sir, I wuz merely driving back from delivering crowns to the good doctor,a nd I was thinking about prayin to jesus and how wonderful god is, and then I done got pulled over!"

I dunno. It could work.

>shrug<

- Rob
Old 12-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Certified Porschephile

Points are grouped in speeds. Would you rather a point per MPH? You'd lose your license on the first ticket. Here in PA it's 2 points for 6-10 (Never used except in plea bargins in my experience), 3 for 11-15, 4 for 16-25, 5 for 26-30 over, and 5 and a PENNDot hearing for 31+.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I will respect the law when the lawmakers respect people, and when the laws make sense.

- Rob
Doesn't look like you are going to respect the law any time soon. This will probably come out loud and clear during your court appearance too.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 12-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Probably. Oh well, at least my conscience is clear. I'll get even with the man someday, I'm just waiting for the right opportunity. My wife says that I have a 'loose moral compass', so I'm sure I'll think of something.

- Rob
Old 12-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Points are grouped in speeds. Would you rather a point per MPH? You'd lose your license on the first ticket. Here in PA it's 2 points for 6-10 (Never used except in plea bargins in my experience), 3 for 11-15, 4 for 16-25, 5 for 26-30 over, and 5 and a PENNDot hearing for 31+.
Hey, at least they have a seprate bracket for 11-15 over the limit. That's how fast MOST people drive.... so it would make sense that they'd be in a different group than someone going 19mph over the limit.

- Rob
Old 12-29-2003, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Wow this thread has really gotten people going.

It's not really the points or fines that bothers me ......it's the aftermath. You go into court, think everything going to be settled, pay the fine, get a point or two, no biggie........

heck - I only have three points how bad can it be? Well, pretty bad! Insurance company then gets involved and debates whether they should keep you as a member - is it worth it to them? Then there's DMV surcharges. ugh ...like for real - you just keep paying and paying for that split second the cop nails you on that radar.

Moving violiations are definitely costly.....DWI/DUI is obnoxious (but good).......it's just insane how you go to court and give up your rights, all the judge says is, "60 day suspension, 4 (or whatever) points, $xxx fine." Yeah okay buddy - it's gonna be a lot more than all that!

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 12-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Probably. Oh well, at least my conscience is clear. I'll get even with the man someday, I'm just waiting for the right opportunity. My wife says that I have a 'loose moral compass', so I'm sure I'll think of something.

- Rob
Rob,
You might try taking with a professional counselor instead of continuing to "wait for the right opportunity" - what you end of "thinking" is a "right opportunity" might just have long term consequences that you haven't considered yet....

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker